Azur 1/72nd scale Martin Maryland I, Finished

Thanks, filled the gaps this evening and assembled the engine nacelles with reduced diameter engines, that will, off course, require repainting. I have a somewhat optimistic plan that the airframe will be together by the end of the weekend. Not sure what I make of the kit. It has nice surface detail and looks accurate and some parts are well executed. However it looks like partd of the kit have corners cut like the engines and the lack of landing light transparencies in the leading edge. Still in the proper scale it is the only game in town other than the Frog kit. 

My plan of having a complete airframe by today has fallen by the wayside as I kept putting off doing anything about the landing lights. So, girding my loins and whatever else you are supposed to do in a heroic fashion, I got on with them. Basically it turned out, like a lot of life experiences, a bit anti-climatic. The main problem was finding something to put in the wing leading edge. I found a clear support for some unused photon torpedoes out of the Bandai X Wing kit. The parts that actually held the torpedoes were very approximately the right shape and size. Some cutting and sanding, and they were persuaded to fit in the wing. In the picture, one has been sanded down and the other awaits attention.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41472&authk

• Like 11

Suddenly, my random collection of parts has turned into the semblance of a Maryland. I am glad I made a spar for the wings and added pins to the tailplanes, it made assembly a lot easier. One of the real weaknesses of this kit in my opinion is that the depth of the wing root fairings on the fuselage does not match that of the wings or tail, and I ended up with a noticeable mismatch, then in the end required a Trumpeter micro chisel to sort out. A good impulse buy at last year's Bolton show. Some cleaning up of joints is still required. The engine nacelles are fairly straightforward as they have no fairings, although they did need some persuading to fit flush with the wing instead of parts hovering about millimetre or so in the air. What I am not looking forward to is masking the nose and canopy. No masks around as a DIY job.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41502&authk

• Like 11

That's definitely looking like a Maryland now, Martin. I too own a micro chisel, a wonderfully useful bit of kit. Good luck with the masking

James

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I am getting to the stage when primer is in sight, which will probably mean a whole lot more filling. Still props, wheels etc finished so less to worry about. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about this build, just life getting in the way and then a bit of enthusiasm for the kit building, but not the recording part of a GB. Anyway, here we are with a painted and varnished Maryland, awaiting the few decals it will need.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41595&authk

It is painted using the Mr Hobby version of Temperate Land Scheme and Sky. It makes the aircraft look a bit different from my mainly Xtracrylix finished British built aircraft, as the Marylands appeared to be painted in the US, and although the colours should be identical, they may have not been. I am not going to be drawn in the long-running debate over US colours for British use. The photo does not match the colour of the model that well due to the lighting and the habit of my phone to brighten everything.

• Like 12

Are you aware of this kits engine mistake ?

The Maryland was powered by two engine types.

The original design, and the British ordered aircraft used  twin-row Pratt & Whitney R-1830-37 14 cylinder Twin Wasp engines. These engines were also retro fitted to aircraft already in build for France b ut subsequently taken over by the British after the French surrender.

French aircraft had single-row nine-cylinder Wright R-1820 Cyclone engines. 

The kit  engines are a single row 7 cylinder engines which are totally wrong for both types.

Selwyn

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The kit  engines are a single row 7 cylinder engines which are totally wrong for both types.

Selwyn

Actually, the kit's engines are single row 9 cylinder.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Martin-Maryland-167-in-FAFL-Service.html

Just to be sure, I checked my Azur kit and that's what it has.

Chris

24 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

They must have fixed it as my kit is a 7 cylinder!

Selwyn

I don't remember precisely when I purchased my kit, but it wasn't too long after it was first released, maybe 2005.

Here are the engines from my kit:

53552600824_e40762df47_b.jpg

Azur kit # 024

Chris

I did notice that the kit engines were wrong for British Maryland. Given that the kit engines looked a bit naff anyway, I replaced them with the spare twin row engines out of a MPM Hudson I kit, that I finished about four years ago. Not a brilliant fit, but look better than the kit offering. Shame that they are the same in the Baltimore kit. 

• Like 4

Decals on and a start to adding bits and pieces. However, there will be a bit of break as our rescheduled Martins' 70th birthday trip takes place. Looking forward to seeing HMS Triconmalee. 

• Like 4

After an interesting and relaxing trip up to Northumbria via Hartlepool, back to the modelling bench and more work on the Maryland. Decals are on and undercarriage etc. added. I thought I would get some varnish on and then realised that I had not added the pitot head. So out came the Albion Alloy tube and a nice sharp pitot head had been fabricated. The turret will be added after varnishing in the semi retracted position often seen on photos.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41604&authk

• Like 8

I always like seeing a model once the decals are on, it always looks so different to before

James

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 13:56, PeterB said:

I have this in my "library".

Can't read the text but the pics have captions! A fair bit of detail on the construction - u/c etc and a few interior pics.

Pete

The Google translate app should allow you to translate anything you can view through your phone/tablet camera. I think it even replaces the text in the image.

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 1

• Mr T changed the title to Azur 1/72nd scale Martin Maryland I, Finished

You've made a very nice job of her, Martin :) Thank you for joining us in the GB

James

• Thanks 1