Finnish Air Force Junkers Ju 88 A-4 in 1/72 scale

The Finnish Air Force bomber command had a total of 23 Ju 88 A-4's. The bombers were bought from the Luftwaffe and they arrived in Finland during the spring of 1943.

I built my model from a 1/72 scale Revell kit. The Finnish markings are from a S.B.S decal set. The model depicts the plane reg. JK-256. The bombers arrived in Finland in the Luftwaffe splinter camo and with the German markings on. In a hurry to get the bombers into action the three colour Germa camo was not overpainted but only the Finnish markings were attached to the wings and the fuselage. The German Balkenkreutzes on the under sides of the wings were hastily covered with white paint but the black ones on the upper side of the wings were left uncovered.

For the splinter camo I bought LF Model's masks and for the german dark green, black green and light blue camo I used Xtracolor RLM paints. However, I must frankly say that I am disappointed at the outcome and at the too similar hues of the two greens. To my eyes they are almost indiscernible. I don't know if the Xtracolor dark green and black green paints are simply too similar. But what can you do! The FAF planes during the so called continuation war also carried the yellow eastern front identification stripes in the wings, the fuselage and under the engines.

The cockpit of the plane is a real green house. There are dozens of tiny window panes and without the Eduard masks it would have been a nightmare to paint the frames.

Otherwise the model was easy but rather time consuming to build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

looks just right to my eyes, well done! JK-256 was shot down by Luftwaffe Me 109s on 10 October 1944 during the Lapland war..( FWIW there's an account by Flying Officer Aarne Keko, in 'Lapin sodan lentäjät kertovat' by Pauli Hirvonen)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

looks just right to my eyes, well done! JK-256 was shot down by Luftwaffe Me 109s on 10 October 1944 during the Lapland war..( FWIW there's an account by Flying Officer Aarne Keko, in 'Lapin sodan lentäjät kertovat' by Pauli Hirvonen)

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for the interesting background info!

Einar 

Looks fantastic. I didn't know the FAF got 88s. Thanks for the background info. It makes it even more appealing. I hear you concerning the canopy frame. I shy away from planes with complex canopy arrangements although I've recently discovered Eduard masks and wow...what a difference.  Very nice work.

Cheers...Rich 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Looks great! Well done.

Miguel

Thank you Miguel!

Einar 

10 hours ago, Armorrich said:

Looks fantastic. I didn't know the FAF got 88s. Thanks for the background info. It makes it even more appealing. I hear you concerning the canopy frame. I shy away from planes with complex canopy arrangements although I've recently discovered Eduard masks and wow...what a difference.  Very nice work.

Cheers...Rich 

Thank you very much for your positive comments, Rich!

Einar 

Nicely done!  👌 

I don't work in 72nd scale so kudos to you for painting the front greenhouse, even with masks that mist be fiddly to apply!  👏 

The splinter camo has a subtle difference in shade/tone but is visible. 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

A nice job Matti, I am about to have a go at the Italeri kit with the same decal sheet, though I will most likely to JK260

Thanks Ray and good luck with the Italeri Ju 88!

Einar

3 hours ago, Keeff said:

Nicely done!  👌 

I don't work in 72nd scale so kudos to you for painting the front greenhouse, even with masks that mist be fiddly to apply!  👏 

The splinter camo has a subtle difference in shade/tone but is visible. 

Keith 😁 

Thank you Keith!

Einar

• Like 1

Thanks for the background story; always nice to have as an added bonus.  Lovely looking Ju 88 in non-standard livery.  Job well done.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, François Escudé said:

very nice job !!

Thank you François!

Einar

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

Thanks for the background story; always nice to have as an added bonus.  Lovely looking Ju 88 in non-standard livery.  Job well done.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks George @

Einar