Italeri A-26A/B in the kit option of an A-26B of 554BS 386 BG, based in France 1945

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

speculation of the sort of connection the Kiwi Boid may have had with an American flier is one to wonder about.

I guess the nose art would probably settle that one ;)

23 minutes ago, JTninja said:

Just had an A-26C fly over the house 15 minutes ago

Nice. Must be a bit of a distraction from modelling tho...

• Haha 1

I should have a photo of where I am, maybe tomorrow but pretty close to being able to close the fuselage up after quite a tussel with the cockpit & front wheel bay assembly, A fair amount of hacking to get something like a fit, I sliced off the nose gear doors in such a way as I can reaffix them because A, they didn't fit like they were & B, they were virtually guaranteed to break off anyway. When in doubt, I used the 1/48 revel colour calls for the cockpit, it looks near enough I think.

Steve.

• Like 4

A photo you shall have James. This really is a tit of a kit in so many ways, just a shame it is the only option in 1/72. Having interior structure placement guides in only one half is but one of its irritations. I'm not going to do the bomb bay open but put the intermediate bulkhead in there to give a bit more strength hopefully. The rear bulkhead misses the floor by about a centimetre, possibly something to do with other versions of this & possibly just the B-team on a Friday afternoon. :shrug:

IMG_20240122_000816

some interior detail to pick out & them it'll be closing time. :) 

Steve.

• Like 14

It certainly doesn't sound like a great kit, Steve, but you're making a nice job of it. I often wonder with subjects where there's only one kit in a particular scale that's a pile of :poop:, if the reason is that the lack of sales figures for that kit makes the manufacturers assume there's no demand for it, and not worth the tooling costs.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 81-er said:

It certainly doesn't sound like a great kit, Steve, but you're making a nice job of it. I often wonder with subjects where there's only one kit in a particular scale that's a pile of :poop:, if the reason is that the lack of sales figures for that kit makes the manufacturers assume there's no demand for it, and not worth the tooling costs.

James

You could be right James. I'd love to see Special Hobby have a go at this, the A-20/Boston range seems to have sold well, I can imagine that a decently tooled range of A-26/B-26 would do all right too.

Steve.

I reckon Airfix would make a killing from a new tooled A/B-26, if the sales of their recent 1/48 Sea King and the Me-410 are anything to go by. ICM could probably make a good stab at it too, as they already have a 1/48 kit they could scale down for a basis

James

• Like 1

You never know, Airfix might re-release theirs one day.  I remember building it as a teenager, for the time is was quite good.

AW

• Like 2

I've now got the fuselage buttoned up, left side to right side & bomb bay doors stuck in pace. The two sides went together Ok once I had the internals fitting, the left bomb bay door fitted a treat, the right one not so much. I'd stuck a piece of sprue in with a flat along it to give a positive centre location for the doors but they were surprisingly individual in their fit. 🙄 In the top view, the clear parts & the top turret are just sat in place, as is the nose, it will be the last to be fixed giving me the option of packing more weight in if need be. It took two 0.3mm strips wrapped around the mating rim to get a firm fit. 🙄 The bottom turret is firmly fixed now, but why on why did Italeri put the join line where they did rather than on a panel line about 1-2 mm away. 🙄  Wingy bits next.

Italeri A-26 views

Steve.

• Like 14

Just now, modelling minion said:

I think that you have done a great job on getting your Invader together Steve, despite Italeri's best efforts. 

I think they haven't finished with me yet, a quick play with the engine cowls/undercarriage bays did not thrill. :(

Steve.

• Like 1

I see Italeri are doing their usual with this kit then, Steve, particuarly with that odd panel line placement. You do seem to be conquering it though

James

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some more activity here, now all together in its major assemblies which is where it will remain while I fettle the bits that do not fit quite, which is a fair proportion of them. Once this is done, getting the wings attached promises to be a bundle of laughs, they are essentially butt joins, the tabs do little to locate them or help set the angle, they are so loose. :( 

IMG_20240211_000812

Steve.

• Like 10

Coming together nicely Steve,great job on the cockpit a favourite aircraft of mine but not built one since the Airfix offering thinking back must have been about 1974/5.God I'm

getting old!

• Haha 2

Even though I try to only make RAF/ Commonwealth stuff, I've always liked the Invader (possibly because I have some 1950s Douglas promotional material) and have had my eye on the Italeri kit so it's a little disappointing that it's a so-and-so to assemble.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

God I'm

getting old!

I know that feeling. Thanks for the compliment, the cockpit in the kit isn't too bad

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I'm sure you'll get wings stuck on without too much difficulty.

I wish I had as much faith in me as you seem to Craig, thanks for the vote of confidence though. :)

29 minutes ago, Beard said:

Even though I try to only make RAF/ Commonwealth stuff, I've always liked the Invader (possibly because I have some 1950s Douglas promotional material) and have had my eye on the Italeri kit so it's a little disappointing that it's a so-and-so to assemble.

I've long thought the Invader was one of the best looking WW2 aircraft from any of the participants. It not exactly hard to assemble, but it's not easy to assemble well but with plenty of glue you could get one together without too much hassle, it might look a bit Kak though. :D

Steve.

• Like 2