Royal Navy Buccaneer

A happy new year to you all! It’s been a while since my last build, with theatre commitments, holidays then Christmas, but I’m back with a bang, or should that be Bucc with a bang!

Despite waiting ages for the RAF version for which I’m awaiting delivery, I felt compelled to buy and build the previous FAA version as a companion to the Sea Vixen. Seeing this kit reduced to £50 it seemed a good time to get one, I doubt it’ll ever be less than that.

So without further ado, my first build of the year. 

The now very familiar box, freshly delivered this morning…

IMG-4823.jpg

And a LOT of plastic inside! I’m tempted to make it with wings folded, but reserve the right to change my mind.

IMG-4824.jpg

Lovely decal sheet!

IMG-4825.jpg

And this is the scheme that most caught my eye. 

IMG-4826.jpg

The real thing, images below are all courtesy of the FAA Buccaneer website:

IMG-3118.jpg
IMG-3119.jpg
IMG-3120.jpg

I’ve already got a spray can of EDSG so should be ready to get going. All comments and advice and general Bucc banter more than welcome …

• Like 12

Brian Scott (F104nut) was one of the first over here (Certainly the first one in Kansas) to get one built, so i'd consider him a resource on the kit.

-d-

Happy New Year too.

What's not to like about a lot of EDSG with ROYAL NAVY plastered down the side?

I'm busy painting the earlier Airfix 72nd kit but in SAAF early markings. The 48th kit is a tad too big for me, so I'll content myself with the newer 72nd kit (when I get around to it).

Seat drawn up with popcorn at the ready, lets fly...

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Thanks 1

NOICE score first of all and a fantastic kit . As David Hansen said first one in Kansas and maybe USA to have it built . Wonderful kit and really enjoyed it. Only issue i had was on the leading of the ege of the tail i little air scoop was short shot  th at was an easy fix . The first one i built was out of the box . My second one which will be started on sonn will be ina early RAF scheme with aftermarket items. Looks forward to the progress on yours .  Not sure whos paints you will use mine was paintes with AK Real Colors . 

Brian

52667343155_ef4eeae906_3k.jpg29079EB7-EAE2-46A1-B351-04C0D3D0B15D by b007scott, on Flickr

52667409638_b9f7b352c3_3k.jpg76ED9994-DDA8-49DB-B4B0-12D40D54FFD5 by b007scott, on Flickr

Edited by F-104 nut
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @F-104 nut if mine ends up as good as yours I’ll be very happy. I haven’t checked the sprues closely yet but hopefully nothing is short-shot.

One question I do have for you or any other Buccaneer experts, for XV340 circa 1970 do I need to remove the little triangular fillet between the roundel and intakes? Its contemporary in the photo below clearly doesn’t have one, but looking closely at 340 itself it looks as though it may have this feature but it’s hard to tell for sure:

IMG-3121.jpg

IMG-3118.jpg

Photos from ‘FAA Buccaneers’ website.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks @F-104 nut if mine ends up as good as yours I’ll be very happy. I haven’t checked the sprues closely yet but hopefully nothing is short-shot.

One question I do have for you or any other Buccaneer experts, for XV340 circa 1970 do I need to remove the little triangular fillet between the roundel and intakes? Its contemporary in the photo below clearly doesn’t have one, but looking closely at 340 itself it looks as though it may have this feature but it’s hard to tell for sure:

IMG-3121.jpg

IMG-3118.jpg

Not really sure about the triangular fillet . I only have the magazine that came out last year in model building the Airfix Buccaneer in 1/48 & 1/72 .

Brian 

Looking at both 1/72nd kits, they have the triangle more subtle in the newer release. I'm guessing, something to do with boundary layer air. But I'm a Wessex man, I'm thinking it's a trick of the light in the first image.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 1

Good choice, I really must dig mine out!

The triangular fairings ahead of the intakes were fitted for noise reduction IIRC. Early S.2's didn't have them but later marks such as the S.2B and D had them fitted from the start. They were retrofitted to the fleet so it's possible to see a mix of with/without from the same time period. The only real way to determine if your S.2 had them fitted is to find a period photo, which the photo you've posted suggests your Bucc has. 
Another item of note is the S.2's were fitted with the Mk4 seat rather than the later Mk6, not sure why Airfix didn't include them but they are easy to source aftermarket.

Looking forward to seeing your Bucc finished 🙂

Edited by Dr Evil
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the input so far chaps, very much appreciated. I have made a start, after much perusal of the instructions. 

I decided to stick with the kit seats rather than aftermarket, this will be an oob build as it does seem an excellent kit. I would have liked more decals for the instrument panels, however so I don’t need minuscule painting! I’ll consider an Eduard etch set for the next Bucc build I think.

Seats done apart from their decals, and a test dry fit into the cockpit tub. Most of the instruments are hand painted (or posca-penned) except the neater looking ones on the observer’s left console.

IMG-3140.jpg

IMG-3141.jpg

Still a fair bit of work to do yet, and the interior sides of the cockpit section. I’m taking my time with this build.

• Like 9

Cockpit done. I quite like the seatbelt decals provided in the kit, I think they’ll look decent once it’s all sealed up.

IMG-4867.jpg

IMG-4866.jpg

• Like 7

Nose section sealed up. The fit is perfect, especially how the cockpit clicks into place at the rear. I did need to add more noseweight though as I couldn’t fit the recommended 15g into the part provided so I stuffed some more up against it in front of the pilot’s instrument panel.

IMG-4880.jpg

IMG-4879.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/5/2024 at 3:58 PM, Lord Riot said:

Despite waiting ages for the RAF version for which I’m awaiting delivery, I felt compelled to buy and build the previous FAA version as a companion to the Sea Vixen. Seeing this kit reduced to £50 it seemed a good time to get one, I doubt it’ll ever be less than that.

Good call @Lord Riot I'm thinking along similar lines. Accepting the 1/48th kit is quite big, I'm planning to build it all folded up as if stowed in the hanger or more likely being ranged on a carrier's deck; probably HMS Ark Royal.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

I’m going to display it with the engine panel open, so tried to make a bit of effort with the visible parts of the RR Spey.

IMG-4897.jpg

• Like 8

I’ve now sealed up the centre section of the airframe.

IMG-4951.jpg

Now I need to look for reference photos of FAA Buccaneer bomb bays as I intend to display it open so will need to get the detail and colours right. It’s sprayed light aircraft grey as in the instructions.

For the engine pipes visible in the wheel bays I painted them gunmetal then gave them a dark dirtwash to give that slightly ‘burnt’ tinge, I hope!

• Like 6

The tail section fitted quite well, but did need some persuasion to stay in line with the spine and fuselage underside.

IMG-4960.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/6/2024 at 1:36 PM, Lord Riot said:

IMG-3121.jpg

IMG-3118.jpg

When i built my early Buccaneer S. Mk. 2C, i learned that the bumps are the so-called "1044 Mod" that was incorporated to reduce noise levels around the cockpit. I carved mine off and i removed a lot of other external bumps to backdate my 2 Buccaneers to 1965-1966 standard. I covered all of this in my Buccaneer build thread. from a few years back.

Hopefully some of you Buccaneers out there can affirm or correct my info.

-d-

• Like 1

No idea about the 1/48 eduard set for the Buccaneer, the 1/72 looks quite nice though.

53462016887_c70179efbf_z.jpg

Here is mine waiting for me to matt down the paint and maybe add a few little extras.

Gondor

• Like 3

It looks like I have two choices of airbrakes; with or without strengthening panels. The instructions call for using the parts with these panels (circled red in the image), but reading references suggests these may have been added later than 1970 when XV340 was in the scheme I’m building.

Does anyone know for sure which airbrakes I should use for circa 68-70 S.2C version please? I’m erring on the side of non-strengthened (on the right below) …

IMG-3163.jpg

I sanded off the attachment points for chaff/flare dispensers as this Bucc was too early to have those fitted.

IMG-5016.jpg

IMG-5017.jpg

And drilled through the airbrake holes.

IMG-5028.jpg

• Like 6