C Scheme deck colour for HMS Rupert, DE Captain Class?

neilh

Hi, I have just started painting the hull, superstructure and decks of my Captain Class frigate which will be in Admiralty Scheme C  I have the white and B55 for the side panel and I think I can work out the shape and location of the light blue panel from the pamphlet CB3098(R) I obtained from Jamie at Sovereign. I'm confused by the instructions for the deck colour. Some models I have seen of these ships look to have the decks in a dark grey such as shade G10, but the document seems to suggest I use B15 ( Schemes A, B, C, D, E, F, Colour B.15.)?  Any advice or confirmation welcomed. Thanks.

CB3098(R)/45 is a bit contradictory. On page 43 where it details the painting of Scheme C, and which colours to be used where, it says "no special deck painting is required for camouflage purposes" and does not specify any colour for the decks. But on page 51 "recommends" B15 as part of a theoretical discussion on deck tones.  CB3098(R)/45 was published in October 1945, after the war ended. In fact it was published after Scheme C had been discontinued (CAFO 1575 of 13 September 1945).  Whilst CB3098R/45 perhaps represents the culmination of Leamington's wartime theoretical work on ship camouflage, a counsel of perfection in many ways, by October 1945 Leamington had become something of an irrelevance and was being run down. One suspects that they were not being kept in the loop. 

The guidance on the painting of the Standard Scheme C that would have been available to anyone painting HMS Rupert during the war would have been the wartime Fleet Orders CAFO 2269 of 12 October 1944 and CAFO 558 of 22 March 1945. These both state "no special deck painting is required for camouflage purposes" and no colour was recommended or even mentioned. (But the consistent general RN thinking on decks from the outbreak of WW2 was that they should be dark.)

Assuming we are dealing with non-slip deck paints then the situation with regards to what was available to someone painting Rupert would have been as specified in AFO 5263/43. (G10 was Home Fleet Grey). As no special colour was required for camouflage I don't see a request for another colour being entertained. I think it is understandable why the decks of the models you have seen are painted a dark grey:

AFO 5263 4 Nov 1943

• Like 2

Thanks Dickrd- excellent explanation and thanks for the additional detail. I have G10 paint in stock so will go with that.

• Like 1

Ah- I spoke to soon, I don't have G10.  The set that includes it, white and B55 are out of stock at Sovereign so have asked Jamie when he might restock. I'm OK for the white as I have several tins of WEMs USN white which is a good match for weathered matt white. The tin of B55 I picked up at Telford is an olde WEM time and seems to be a light grey, almost off white, when the colour chip suggests it should be a light blue.  Since I am usually an aircraft modeller with extensive sicks of WEM enamels,  If I had to, would Extra Dark Sea Grey be a close match for the G10 deck colour and RLM 76 be a match for B55?

Second " newbie" question please. Where can I get the ship codes in decal form ( or do you guys use stencils)?  Hannants don't seem to stock anything and all my google searches seem to be US suppliers with prohibitive shipping charges. Thanks.

Hi Neil

Can’t really help with colour alternatives for B55 or non slip grey.  Like you I worried about the deck colour for Scheme C before deciding that without a special need for concealment from the air, it was probably just grey.

The Captains had their pennant numbers painted up in black letters five feet tall, using the squared off wartime USN style with 45 degree angled corners. The original style and location seems to have been retained in most cases, regardless of camouflage changes. One or two seem to have changed the colour, or used an outline for the letter and number, but this doesn’t seem to have been widespread.

There is a diagram in the Floating Drydock CD planbook for DEs which describes this, and looks very much like an official USN painting guide for shipyards, including notation that the larger letter and numbers shown are for ‘BDE only’, as the Captains were known stateside.  5 feet in 1/350 scale is 4.35mm. You should note that the USN wartime style of letter is slightly different from similar letters and numbers used postwar, in that the top section of the ‘5’ does not have angled corners - you’ll see this in photos, which will also give you the style used for the letter ‘K’.

I cut stencils for mine, they just don’t make decals big enough for 1/72😁.

Good luck on the paints - I would be tempted to wait until Jamie has the requisite paints back in stock as it’s worth getting it right.

cheers

Steve

Hi Neil, I am thinking of adjusting the colour of NARN40 (B55) a bit this time but am finishing some other paints first. G10 is among this lot. I have the latest draw down sample beside me. I needs one more little tweak...

Regarding the pendant numbers, there wasn't a single font. Atlantic Models and maybe Starling Models sell generic sets, but an alternative if your subject has a style different from the decals is to cut a set of vinyl masks to airbrush on your pendants. I've made a few sets for various modellers. It works quite well and you can get the colour exactly as you want it should it be other than black or white.