Airfix 1/72 B-25B Mitchell

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Progress is progress, no matter how small it is ;) Is that a test tube holder repurposed as a brass storage unit?

James

That is my custom made Styrene/ brass rack I made when scratch building my 1/144 scale carrier.  I was using a wide variety of Styrene and brass stock. 

Inspired by a test tube rack, I made the rack using a laser cutter, and found a supplier where I could get 50 clear plastic tubes at a reasonable cost.

Here’s what it looked like back then.  I later consolidated a few of the plastic shapes to make room for the brass… 

spacer.png

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly inching closer to being ready to actually put some paint on! The cockpit canopy is now glued in place, and the forward piece is getting test-fit…

spacer.png

I do like how Airfix engineered these pieces.  The canopy includes the fuselage forward of the windshield, and it lines up perfectly with the nose piece.

• Like 13

I’m still here, still plugging away on the model.   It is one of three I’m working on now, so progress has slowed. 

I primed the model with gray Stynlrez a week ago, gave it a few days to fully cure, then airbrushed the underside with Model Master Neutral gray acrylic.  I picked it because it was a little lighter in color than the Tamiya version of that color which was also on hand.

BIG MISTAKE!!   Tonight, when I started to mask so I could paint the topside with Tamiya Olive Drab,  the tape was pulling up the MM paint every time

I tried to reposition it.  (The Stynlrez is still sticking well.).    

So I switched to plan B-  paint the Olive Drab first.      I went ahead and free handed the Olive Drab on the topsides of the model.   

spacer.png

I see a couple of spots that will need to be fixed and touched up, but over all it looks pretty good already.   Once that is finished to my liking, I’ll go  and mask over the Tamiya paint and apply the Tamiya gray underneath….

• Like 11

Paint pulling up is one of the joys of airbrushing acrylics I'm happy to know nothing about, while painting enamels with hairy sticks, but on the downside the finish is never as smooth as your OD on the B-25. Very nice work! V-P

• Like 1

That sounds like a bit of a nightmare with the Neutral Grey there, but I think you've got it under control now. I do like the Tamiya OD and NG shades, and they always spray nicely

James

• Like 1

13 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Still looking nice , I use the stynylrez gray as neutral gray as it has the same tone and that works for me 😉

cheers, Jan

Yes, and  the Stynlrez sticks ferociously to styrene- it never pulls up. 
My mistake was using a 15-year old bottle of Model Master.  It is OK when used in “non masking” situations- this is a lesson I learned a long time ago and just forgot- I was too focused on “shade”, and didn’t pay attention to “brand”…

It may well be a blessing in disguise.   Because of the way the B-25 was painted, it may be easier to mask the OD to apply the gray, I think….

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The main colors are finally done!   I haven’t had a lot of time to work on the model, and have seemingly spent most of it faffing about with the airbrush.  The Tamiya Neutral Gray went down fine, then I masked and painted the overspray area with Tamiya OD.  Then masked and painted some overspray off the gray.  Then more OD to touch up gray spots…. round and round we went!

spacer.png

The good news is there were no issues with the tape pulling up any paint.

I think I am finally ready to start masking and painting the de-icer boots in my next session…..

One a more positive note- the top turret looks really nice.  ( Better than the photo.).  I like the way Airfix engineered it so it can be installed at the end of the build.

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 10