Mattp7999's 2 Mossies and a Beau

22 minutes ago, 81-er said:

A great choice, Matt, I nearly picked up the same kit in Hobbycraft yesterday myself. I rather like a desert Beaufighter. You are allowed to start a new thread for each build if you wanted ;) 

James

Lol, never mind have done this already.. haven't currently any other WW2 twins in the stash at the moment so will plough on here James if thats ok?

Yes have been trying to find photos of the box art aircraft and everything I keep finding is a Beaufighter IC of 272 squadron on Malta, not a Mk.VI.. has a different serial number so definitely not the same aircraft and not fitted with rockets. Just wondering if anybody out there has ever seen any pics of where Tamiya got their decal scheme from? 

Regards Matt

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Very nice, Matt, with some familiar looking aftermarket! You’ll enjoy this one. 👏

Yes very familiar indeed Gerard lol.. yup looking forward to it. 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Matt, and some nice aftermarket for her too.

Thanks Craig, looking forward to adding a Beau to my growing collection 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

..been trying to find photos of the box art aircraft and everything I keep finding is a Beaufighter IC of 272 squadron on Malta, not a Mk.VI.. has a different serial number so definitely not the same aircraft and not fitted with rockets. Just wondering if anybody out there has ever seen any pics of where Tamiya got their decal scheme from?

Will have a look through the reference pile this evening and let you know if there's anything Matt.

15 minutes ago, Col. said:

Will have a look through the reference pile this evening and let you know if there's anything Matt.

Thanks Col, found pics of 272 with IC beau's but not VI... regards Matt

And we're off. Only a little bit done tonight but a solid start I think.

The Rudder Pedals and Gunsight attached to the Eduard Look Instrument Panel - I love these panels...  (I may have said that before lol...)

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-9.jpg

Aircrew painted up ready

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-8.jpg

Next will be the Fuselage interior.. 

Thanks for looking

Matt 🙂

Edited by Mattp7999
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's a good start, Matt :)

James

Thanks James, much appreciated

🙂 Matt

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Matt, the crew are very well painted.

Thanks Craig, muchos gracias 🙂

Matt

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 12:14 PM, Mattp7999 said:

Thanks Col, found pics of 272 with IC beau's but not VI... regards Matt

Been digging through the books but, as you've already noted, the only photos to be found are Ic machines. There's a profile on page 17 of the Warpaint volume showing T9068 as Tamiya have depicted it but notes, "Grey collector rings on engines. Aircraft had very worn and scratched finish.", but doesn't provide a source for this information. Further to that, in vol.3 issue 10 of Scale Aviation Modeller International, David Batt wrote, "..although the box art (of the Tamiya kit) is correct, the instructions suggest the aircraft had rockets. Alas, rockets did not come into operational use until early 1943.", and, "..the model's incorrect serial... was actually carried by a Sunderland Mk I."

• Thanks 1

Aha, that explains a lot tbh, I'd already decided not to use Rockets, but the fact that the serial number is totally wrong and belongs to a different type of aircraft is a bit pants and something you don't usually expect from Tamiya... thanks ever so much Col. 👍

• Like 1

If it helps at all the same Warpaint features a profile of JA708/A on page 8 in the same scheme but, again, doesn't cite any references or a date.

On 24/02/2024 at 12:02, Col. said:

If it helps at all the same Warpaint features a profile of JA708/A on page 8 in the same scheme but, again, doesn't cite any references or a date.

Just found a photo of JL519/P which is also the same scheme and is definitely a Beau Mk.VI with the dihedral tailplanes.. I'm going to go with this one I think. 

Regards Matt

Edited by Mattp7999
  • Like 1

Here's an update on the interior of the fuselage

The interior was simple and painless to assemble. Given an overall coat of RAF Interior Green and then the cockpit instrument panels picked out in Black. 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-10.jpg

The Instrument panel was added next, as usual can't say enough about Eduard's Look Panels.. 🙂

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-12.jpg

Crew take their positions.

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-13.jpg

Pilot in his office

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-14.jpg

Observer/Gunner twiddling his thumbs in the back 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-15.jpg

Thanks for looking

Many regards Matt 🙂

• Like 10

Nice work in there Matt and well done tracking down an authentic 272 Sqn. Mk. VI as that's more than Tamiya could do :lol:

• Haha 1

Very nice work on the interior Matt.

Tamiya are not infallible and the box art scheme on this Beaufighter is a prime example of that, they got the wings wrong on their Meteor by copying a museum example rather than checking, so even the best make mistakes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on the interior Matt.

Tamiya are not infallible and the box art scheme on this Beaufighter is a prime example of that, they got the wings wrong on their Meteor by copying a museum example rather than checking, so even the best make mistakes.

Thanks Craig, yes I remember it well.. back in the mists of time I recall building that kit - Gloster Meteor F.I they copied the original prototype which had had its wings replaced with those from an F.3 with air brakes wasn't it?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mattp7999 said:

Thanks Craig, yes I remember it well.. back in the mists of time I recall building that kit - Gloster Meteor F.I they copied the original prototype which had had its wings replaced with those from an F.3 with air brakes wasn't it?

Spot on mate, yes thats what they did.👍

• Like 1

Some more progress with the Beaufighter

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-16.jpg

Interior given a coat of Humbrol 78 Acrylic (btw can't say enough about the Gen 2 Acrylic by Humbrol they're great 🙂 ) Fuselage interior added ready to be buttoned up. 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-17.jpg

Fuselage joined up as expected of Tamiya great fit with no filler required.. 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-18.jpg

Rudder added

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-20.jpg

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-21.jpg

Wings built up and also the Eduard Brassin wheels painted in background. 

Thats all for now,

Thanks for looking, regards Matt 🙂

• Like 13

Bit more done yesterday

Undercarriage assembled and ready for installation and painting

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-22.jpg

Beau is up on its pins... Undercarriage installed and Wheels added. 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-23.jpg

Engines painted up and ready for exhausts to be added. 

Beaufighter-Mk-VI-24.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards Matt 🙂

• Like 9

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice progress Matt, good to see her standing on her own legs.

Thanks Craig much appreciated, it's going well really enjoying building this kit. 🙂

• Like 1