Miles M.5 Sparrowhawk G-ADNL - SBS, 1/72

Happy New Year 2024 to you all! :party:

A few days ago I have started this pretty little kit from SBS model and so far it's going quite well. I wanted to build something easy and fast, so the Sparrowhawk was a quick choice.

I have never build a kit from SBS models, It's my first time, but I have quite a few models by them in my stash. I am making the 1935' King's Cup - G-ADNL aircraft in the cream finish.
This is my progress for now, have a nice time!

P1580074 P1580075 P1580076 P1580079 P1580080 P1580081 P1580084 P1580077 P1580078

• Like 17

Today's progress:

Heavy layer of surfacer on the bottom of the fuselage sanded flat. Then glued all main parts with CA glue really fast and cleaned them with debonder. Finally all connections brushed with thick surfacer and left for drying. :closedeyes:

Cheers!

P1580086 P1580087 P1580088 P1580090

• Like 17

Fantastic!

I've got the SBS 1/48 Caudron C.450 and it looks a fabulous kit. I wish they did their Sparrowhawk in the bigger scale!

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 2

Very nice, will be following along. I have a very soft spot for G-ADNL as it was my first free flight flying scale model I built that flew really well, way beyond my expectations!

I need one of these in 1/32 - one day......!

The real one is being rebuilt, back to the original configuration after its conversion to a jet in the 50's.

Malc.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

A nice clean build on the Sparrowhawk, looking good. Think your work bench is too tidy, how can you work in such tidiness B).

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I'm glad you like it. Tidy work bench is my little deformation, I hate searching for the specific tool or any bits and pieces for too long - building time is too precious :D.

12 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Very nice, will be following along. I have a very soft spot for G-ADNL as it was my first free flight flying scale model I built that flew really well, way beyond my expectations!

I need one of these in 1/32 - one day......!

The real one is being rebuilt, back to the original configuration after its conversion to a jet in the 50's.

Malc.

Thanks Malc!

Wow, I didn't know that it was the exact airframe of the original one. Good to hear that.

• Like 2

After a brief cleaning the surface for a control (I.) and finishing (II.) Surfacer 1500, I added exhaust pipes, ailerons push rods and rudder arm horns. Then the cockpit was masked with tape and mascol. After a control layer of surfacer on the joinst of pars which were sanded I put the final layer of Surfacer 1500 which I left to dry overnight.

My good friend tought me to airbrush pure leveling thinner onto freshly airbrushed surfacer for a smoother and shinier result. :winkgrin:

Today, I polished the whole surface with a 2000 sanding paper and the Miles is now prepared for the cream white colour. I chose the AK Real Colours RC002 Cream White and I hope this will be satisfactory choice. :hmmm:

P1580094 P1580091 P1580092

After the cotrol surfacer:

P1580095 P1580096

And after the polished finishing surfacer:

P1580097

P1580098

Small details:

P1580093

P1580101 P1580100

And the final photo - Miles with destined colour.

P1580099

Thanks for watching and have a nice weekend!

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Malc2 said:

The quality of your finish makes it look a much bigger scale than 1/72!

Look forward to seeing the colour applied!

M.

Thanks a lot! Now you can see :closedeyes:

Just a few quick photos of th current state...

P1580102 P1580104

All the small parts. I made a cardboard stand in the meantime...

P1580108

And the painted windshield - I used the Alclad Airframe Aluminium.

P1580110

Edited by Andrew.S
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the embarrassing delay, I was too lazy to post the photos because I have another project on the workbench :D

So here it is ready for inspection!

P1580126

Thank you all for your support during the build!
Have a nice weekend.

• Like 9

Lovely work. Just interested in your process from paint to decals to final finish; the AK real comes out, what, satin after all that nice surfacing work? Decals straight on (?) and then a coat to blend their finish with the rest of the paint? Such attention to surface finish really shows, but the dealing with the decal bumps is always a source of potential problems for me on gloss or satin finishes.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely work. Just interested in your process from paint to decals to final finish; the AK real comes out, what, satin after all that nice surfacing work? Decals straight on (?) and then a coat to blend their finish with the rest of the paint? Such attention to surface finish really shows, but the dealing with the decal bumps is always a source of potential problems for me on gloss or satin finishes.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks a lot Andy, I'm glad you asked, it's was quite simple - I airbrushed the Surfacer 1000 and then polished with 2000 grit sandpaper. Then I airbrushed AK Cream White and gently polished again. After that went the layer of Gunze Super Clear III with a little polishing again (it's really easy to do it on the small airframe without many surface details). Then I applied decals onto the clear gloss varnish which I have left to cure overnight. After all decals settled, I sprayed the Super Clear III over them again, only for protection during the weathering part (understand as the light panel liner, there is not much to weather on the sports planes). The SBS decals were so thin, that it wasn't necessary to do much more with them, only the finishing layer of the semi-gloss clear varnish was applied.

I have a good experience with the use of semi-gloss varnish on the sticking out decals which have a thick clear cover layer. :)

• Like 1