Frog F338 Marauder - gone to another place

Paul821

As in 2024 I want to concentrate of my New Ending Diorama, it's my intention only to build aircraft that flew from my local airfields. So for this GB that means : A-20, B-26, Dakota and Albemarle. One local squadron did have an Airspeed Oxford as a station hack.

As I recently completed a A-20 that was out. I have built a Valom Albermarle but these are now rare and expensive and I am holding back on a Dakota build for the future, This means B-26 Marauder. There a a few Airfix ones on e-bay and they seem to sell around £20. but I don't want to bother with auctions at the moment so I went onto KingKit and found this:

Screenshot 2023-12-30 172120

but rather than buy one I have purchased two. One for this GB and one for Frog Squad II.

Yes there are issues with a kit first released in 1963 but if it looks like a Marauder then I will be happy. For this build the aftermarket Decals will probably cost as much as the kit did.

• Like 17

I remember building thee original boxing as a desert version, though I am not sure Frog got the right version as the decs were for "Dominion's Revenge" which was  I believe FK375 and was classed as a Marauder I. Of course it may  be that same name was used on a later model as well, but both the Mk I and Mk Ia had the shorter wings. I have a later Mk II boxing but it was bought second hand and is a bit of a mess, though perhaps could be salvaged.

Pete

• Paul821 changed the title to Frog F338 Marauder

Kingkit and Royal Mail both performed well and these arrived today:

20240105_112135

The only downside was that once again Royal Mail did not knock but just placed the parcel in the garden. Luckily it was dry today if it had arrived yesterday, when I was out most of the day, it would have been soggy to say the least.

Note the variant boxing from that on the King Kit site on the newer model, which is the one chosen for the GB.

Sprue shots etc:

20240105_112532

20240105_112608

20240105_112658

20240105_112713

All I now need to source are the decals for an Earls Colne based example, not to mention a number of replacement parts. The kit in Frog Squad II will be OOB (except for the decals) this one will have some upgrading.

• Like 13

I have a fond memory of this kit :giggle:

I was a very, very lurking third host in the previous Frog GB - it was more like a Fog GB for me - but the illustrious duo dinamico @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader didn't actually need the third one so no problems re running it. My conscience was nagging, though, and it kept telling me I should at least finish my build, as my sole contribution.

And then came the final Sunday of it, and my Kingkit-acquired Marauder, my only Frog kit, remained yet unstarted. It is not a shake the box kit, no. One can spend a few evenings cleaning parts, adding putty and then sanding all of it away again. In my great wisdom I decided to save time in painting and cleaning the landing gear, props etc... so I built her legs up. A bad decision, if you don't have sufficient time to fix the fit on the landing gear bay doors. I just glued them shut and lived with it. Props? I just cut the blades away and didn't look back. Interior painting and detailing, hah! Canopy frame painting, never heard of it... As the last stroke of bad luck, the olive drab paint tin I had was of the hand lotion, neverdry batch. And the clock kept on ticking, and finally I had to snap a photo of what I had done and post it :weep:

I'm still ashamed of it and would like to beg an apology from the B-26 for disgracing her so shamelessly!

(I also withdrew from being the lurker host at the soon to begin Frog GB. One lives and apparently learns, at least something)

V-P

It will be nice to see how these old kits build up - I am doing the old Frog B-25 and the newer Airfix one split between the 2 GB. Within the moulding technology limits of the time Frog could be quite accurate but they did produce a few where their research seems to have been flawed. As I recall, guns/turrets and sometimes landing gear left rather a lot to be desired.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

In my great wisdom I decided to save time in painting and cleaning the landing gear, props etc... so I built her legs up. A bad decision, if you don't have sufficient time to fix the fit on the landing gear bay doors.

Thanks for the warning - as these two are destined to be displayed in flight over the "Never Ending Diorama" I will hold that in mind before I start the buiuld.

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

As I recall, guns/turrets and sometimes landing gear left rather a lot to be desired.

Asper the above, the landing gear was not going to be an issue. Yes I agree on my initial inspection the guns certainly need attention. If I do go down the replacement route the after market items will well exceed the cost of the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Yes I agree on my initial inspection the guns certainly need attention. If I do go down the replacement route the after market items will well exceed the cost of the kit.

I know what you mean. Way back I stocked up on replacement .303 and .50 barrels and have one or two guns in my spares boxes as well so I should be able to make a few improvements to my Frog Mitchell and I have the Airfix kit to use as a template for turret interiors, undercarriage and the like. I also have a few original Frog decal sheets which are in pretty good nick. My Frog B-26 is only good for spares as one or two parts were missing or broken, and some had been glued together with excessive amounts of what must have been tube glue - needless to say I have bought nothing else from that supplier.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

46 minutes ago, PeterB said:

what must have been tube glue

Tube glue - the Marauder destined for the Frog GB has come with the two original small sachets of glue that both Airfix and Frog used to supply.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Tube glue - the Marauder destined for the Frog GB has come with the two original small sachets of glue that both Airfix and Frog used to supply.

That could explain it - they were never easy to control at the best of times and when old and a bit constipated they would probably "explode" all over the parts!😄

Pete

This Marauder is the first plane destined for display as part of my “Never Ending Diorama”,

as to date most of the builds have been railway related or military vehicles.

In Model Railway’s there has been a “three foot rule” applied for many layouts.

https://blog.newbritainstation.com/2018/03/is-three-foot-rule-obsolete.html

The decrees that if you cannot see a detail at three foot then don’t bother to model it but as the link above shows there is a healthy debate about this.  At 1:72 (or 1:76) this works out at a real world viewing distance of around 220 feet. For aircraft in flight this is an issue as, even at the threshold of a runway you would be unlikely to see a plane at 220 feet in the air. So even with forced perspective 1:144 would be too large. The other issues are that the diorama viewing point for an average person will be 1 foot above the track level and due to the ceiling height I cannot hand the aircraft at the required height to look correct. 1,000 feet would be around 14 foot above the viewing height!

So as far as the build goes I will stick with the 3 foot rule foe this build and bear in mind the model will be seen from below as I should be able to hang it 7 foot above the ground which is approx’ 4 foot above the track level.

The question now is what features need adding to model to meet this requirement? It does probably mean that I can avoid the need to purchase aftermarket guns to replace those on the model. As I already have a 1:144 and 1:72 Marauder available I will use those for reference viewing at the required distances. 

• Like 1

A -  gimmick - heresy  -sacrilege may be words that come to mind but these arrived today to hopefully play a part in this build

53453919318_3c726ff94f_w.jpg

a pack of five micro motors. Although my project is called "The Never Ending Diorama"  it is a series of diorama's that when linked together will be part of a working model railway. So if the trains on the model move then why shouldn't the planes?  First stage will be to see the feasibility of motorising the propellers.

• Like 6

And why not! I've a longer-term project of an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire which will be displayed in flight with a motor driving the prop. I found it was easier to use silicone tubing as a bush in the prop than trying to get the prop to glue to the motor shaft, with the added benefit that the prop is also removable for transport.

James

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing my backlog of Lidl kits from pre-Christmas. I can finally make a start on this.

Decals,

53503202378_a97350ce4b_w.jpg

Although Boxted is slightly outside of the area I usually model it's still on the Essex /Suffolk boarder and I have ordered an Earls's Colne set for the B-26 is the Frog GB.

As the key to this model is getting the propellors working I am starting with stage 5 of the build.

53503477685_029a80a181.jpg

First paint applied this evening.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

A reference for those of a certain age - rather like the Norwegian Blue of Monty Python fame this build is not dead but has been sleeping. However the effort of maintaining a dual B-26 build over 2 GB's has added to the effort required, so I this build will now be merged with the Frog Squad GB one.

So it's good bye to this GB. Been good knowing you.

• Like 2

• Paul821 changed the title to Frog F338 Marauder - gone to another place