Gloss sea blue

Grumman58

I looked up that paint. It appears to be an enamel. I've put enamel over acrylic before with no issues. I would let the primer thoroughly cure, though. That's just me.

You should be fine.

9 hours ago, Grumman58 said:

Have got a tin of Colourcoats Gloss sea blue / ANA623 to go on Sword TBM3  Avengers. Would be ok to use Tamiya surface primer.

Thanks 

it's enamel.  you don't need primer.  @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies 

this is over a black base, but you could do this with GSB.

Links to Colorcoats video tutorials

https://youtu.be/58lB-xxaGAw

https://youtu.be/T-WqrJR5SDY 

HTH

PS -  GSB ANA 623 was changed in in 1947,  as the original color faded.   Colourcoats do the post 1947 color, which became FS 15042, in case you are doing later TBM-3

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/blogs/sovereign-about-us-research-and-development/references-how-to-tell-the-good-from-the-bad

3 hours ago, Grumman58 said:

Thanks the Avenger will be around 1950-52

Do you have a reference photo?   If it look faded and tatty,  then the pre 1947 color is likely,  if not then you want  this

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats/products/acus35-post-war-usn-glossy-sea-blue-fs15042

This and the wartime color are not massively different,  FS15042 is greener and darker from the chips.   I have the Elliot book and a FS595 deck for reference.

HTH

7 hours ago, Grumman58 said:

Thanks.  The only reference I can go is B/W photo page 42 some ref details on page 60 Warpaint book on the Avenger. Seems VS21 operated the -3W 1950-51

\\the reason for the 1947 color switch was the original ANA 623 faded badly,  

F4U-4 in 1946

F4U-4_of_VBF-82_on_USS_Randolph_(CV-15)_

I'd expect that a 1950 era USN type would be in the post 1947 color.

HTH

4 hours ago, Grumman58 said:

found a Tamiya rattle can seems a close match 

Tamiya AS-8 Navy Blue (US Navy) – 100ml Spray Can 86508

Your thoughts pls.

Another forum member sent me a swatch of AS-8 to compare to my copy of the US Navy Monogram chips. Here is the comparison.

Tamiya_AS-8_versus_US_Navy_ANA_Sea_Blues

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Another forum member sent me a swatch of AS-8 to compare to my copy of the US Navy Monogram chips. Here is the comparison.

Tamiya_AS-8_versus_US_Navy_ANA_Sea_Blues

Is that the pre 47 AN623? 

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Another forum member sent me a swatch of AS-8 to compare to my copy of the US Navy Monogram chips.

how does the swatch compare to FS15042?    As from the above the TBM-3W  by 1950/51 would be in the post 1947 ANA 623, which AFAIK became FS15042.

• Like 1

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies CIE76 math is giving different values than than CIEDE2000 that I use but difference of 5.0 as the best is quite a lot.

Just for my personal curiosity, your spectrophotometer is 45°:0° ring illumination optics geometry, and the renders are sRGB?

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies CIE76 math is giving different values than than CIEDE2000 that I use but difference of 5.0 as the best is quite a lot.

Just for my personal curiosity, your spectrophotometer is 45°:0° ring illumination optics geometry, and the renders are sRGB?

Hi Casey, those ones were, yes. They were done a few years ago when the Nix was all we had at home. It's definitely not as accurate as a proper one but it's definitely got uses. I couldn't have carried a desktop around Portsmouth naval base for example :D

The renders were sRGB. I suppose the key takeaway is that the Tamiya AS paint samples I was sent aren't/weren't especially good for any of the US Navy colours either aircraft or ship types.

• Haha 1