Kenworth 963 Super

No chance of dodging between rain showers here, it seems have been near constant.

Good to see the paint going on, it's amazing how a bit of colour can bring a model to life. Keep going!

• Thanks 1

Well gents, I've stuck with painting, and for the next few days, the weather is said to be glorious, including this afternoon:

53549542302_e044e4ce3d_k.jpg

So, this morning, in earnest, I went about detailing the parts I will share below, but along the way - it occurred to me to get a life!  As I was sitting at my workbench, drinking coffee, listening to music, with an optivisor firmly attached to my head, and model parts in hand, I happened to look out the window - and well, it was sure a nice day!  And as it turns out, I live pretty close to the San Francisco Bay, so a guy concluded that well, I could sit inside, and keep going or...."GO OUTSIDE"  I know, crazy talk, but that's exactly what I did - went to the marina, went for a walk, got some sunshine and fresh air - even treated myself to lunch!  I almost forgot, the 1:1 world can be pretty nice too! 

And not to worry, some of the news stories you might have heard about the demise of California, they might be exaggerated.  On the left you can make out several towers of the Bay Bridge, with the San Francisco skyline in the background, and on the right, the Golden Gate Bridge - with Treasure Island in the middle ground on the left, and Alcatraz in the middle ground on the right.  And it was warm, with almost no wind - as you can see by the still water - indeed, a glorious day! 

OK, enough fun and games, and back to serious business - model building.

Over the last few days I have stuck with my regiment of running outside to paint between rainfall, and was able to make some good progress:

53550600068_46ccf1803f_b.jpg

53550737769_90174d3e1d_h.jpg

Very much to my surprise and delight, the paint went on well.  This is Tamiya Italian Red over, Tamiya Pink Fine Primer.  I'm pleased, if not shocked to report no runs, blobs, streaks or orange peel.

And made some headway on chrome parts:

53550848780_7f010728f9_h.jpg

As this image is zoomed in quite a bit, you can see some seepage of CA from the eyebolts onto the handrail, but in "real life" this is unnoticeable.  For this I went with Tamiya grey Fine Primer, followed by Tamiya Bare Metal, and then, using an airbrush, Vallejo  Metal Color Chrome.  While this is "fine" for this, application, it would not pass on a classic car, race car, or hotrod.  The color looks more like stainless steel or bright silver.  I understand that Alclad would have probably been a better choice, but I also understand that those colors are quite fragile, and probably not ideal for a guy like, say, me:

53550737779_9fbd0061bf_b.jpg

Oh, what a treat - you might have noticed these two air cleaner housings in the group photo above - all painted up with that Tamiya Pink - ready to get hit with some of that nice Italian Red - easy enough!  Except, as I was outside, merrily painting away, confident of more great results - well, both fell off of the wire I was holding them with - not to worry, the concrete sidewalk below broke their fall(s), and just to add some real interest, knocked off one of the intake tubes!  Not only knocked it off, but pulled it and the styrene it was glued too :clean" off!  Ahh - what a delight.  As the disaster was obvious enough, I went ahead and picked the parts right up.  Maybe you noticed my fingerprints?  A real surprises is that despite this calamitous event, none of the numerous PE parts (there are several small clasps and brackets out of view) were damaged - there you go.

So, before treating myself to a nice walk along the Bay, I cleaned up, fixed, and repainted them!  

Now, adding PE, painting on more chrome etc. to the cab and hood/bonnet.  I ran out of paint and primer, so the bed will have to wait for a while - 

OK gents, thanks for having a look  - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 7

good photo of the bay, mount it and sell it at a tourist trap. How or where did you get the eyebolts? or did I miss that someplace? What diameter of rod is that?

• Like 1

That looks lovely - the Bay I mean, not that horrible red truck thing......!! 🤣

(just kidding, the truck is looking great, lovely paint, shame about the mishap with the air cleaners but I'm sure you'll soon have them sorted)

Keith

• Like 1

This looks very good! :clap2:

I need to study this to figure out how to paint such assemblies.

16 hours ago, Stickframe said:

... fell off ... broke ... knocked off  ... fingerprints

Ah, those are my specialties. ☹️

• Haha 1

I'm glad to know that fellow builders enjoy seeing some of the real world too!  It can become too easy for me to stay huddled over the model, fussing about with things that I enjoy, that really have nothing to do with the bigger picture, specifically, the 1:1 world!  

@busnproplinerfan, hi Bus, yes, I'll look around my work area and try and find the producer of those eye bolts - I really like them, and they took a long time to find!  I usually use them for suspension and steering parts, but as you'll see below, they did the trick here too.

@dnl42 😄- yes, the joy of painting!  My advice here is to just keep trying - I know that sounds obvious, but it helped me.  Over time I have become a lot more strategic about painting than I was when I started.  By that I mean remembering what did and didn't work, and planning ahead, in terms of the actual painting process, masking things off in an order that works for you (or me!) and reassembly, and as you highlighted above, figuring out the best way to hold objects while painting. (as shown above, well, sometime bad thigs still happen! 🙃)

Having now painted a few kits, I think about this well before I go about painting a project.  I can advise to not rush - for whatever reason, in the past I felt obliged to really attack a model with paint - moving rapidly with primer and paint.  I concluded that this approach leads to problems (for me anyway).  Instead I try to take it easy, dusting on and building up colors, even taking a few minutes between sprays/coats.  This has resulted in fewer blobs and streaks, and better overall coverage.  I also try and paint in sunlight (in my mind this seems like something I would have read about, saying not to do this, but I do it) - as the actual results are much more evident than when painting in the shade.  While moving at a moderate pace, I am not moving slowly, so there doesn't appear to be an effect caused by the sunlight - such as paint drying in irregular patterns etc.  As for what works best for you, just keep at it, and you'll find an approach you feel good about.

Once the paint above set up, I went about refinement by adding PE and whatever bits needed to be attached, and painting on some chrome:  

53554671476_bd393f8516_b.jpg

53553819667_b1b2156cb4_b.jpg

The hood/bonnet and air cleaners are still only dryfit, but they fit.  The only strange turn of events I experienced, is that the "wings" on the hood have flattened out.  That is, when I built them, I established some gentle curvature to match the cab and radiator shell.   The match was spot on as unpainted styrene, but the fit is less close now.  I have tired to recurve the material, but have concluded that I can live with this fit.  I'd hate to cause more visible damage in the process of readjusting the parts.  I am pleased to report that the hinges work fine, and happily, I was able to maintain a nice distance between the parts with layers of primer and paint now applied.   I scraped the paint off of the small "bridge" that runs between the cab and nose, and dis the same under the hood/bonnet.  I'll use regular styrene glue to hold the two together.  I thought about using CA, but as the hood folds upward on both sides, I think that it would eventually snap apart. 

@busnproplinerfan, Bus, you can see how the eyebolts worked out as stanchions.  And as noted before, the chrome/silver - still just OK, and not brilliant and chrome like.  Also, as you asked about before, the grill mesh worked out too.  I found some PE specified to be used for model truck radiators.  By itself, the screen/mesh was too wide for this, but, it has a vertical bar in the center, which I planned for, by adding .02" x .02"  vertical sticks, at the centerline of the opening when I built the nose.  You can see them best in some of the process photos.  I then cut the radiator mesh on each side of the vertical center, and glued the center bit of PE in place over the now painted "sticks".  Then went back and cut the remaining mesh to match the width of the openings on either side.  Not exactly easy to do, but the results are OK with me.  The mesh was hard to cut, and I don't enjoy gluing parts with CA onto paint, as the slightest error can look awful.  Happily, no catastrophes to report.

Naturally, I had to dry fit this and see how it worked out:

53554671486_6b82d81b80_h.jpg

53554671471_7f3b05d0d7_b.jpg

These giant photos seem to be good and bad - you can see it all, and you can see it all - the good and the less good.  There are few areas on the engine that need some touchup before more weathering.  As a side note, the older 953 version of this truck had radiators on each side of the "nose".  Apparently as an homage to the 953, the 963 design keeps the nose shape, but only has the single, central radiator.

53554872588_558a9e750e_b.jpg

53555010434_d198d34c88_b.jpg

As for next steps, I am waiting for more primer and paint to arrive for the bed, so in the meantime I'll add a faint dust wash to to the engine, chassis, and tires/tyres.  My idea being that this tuck might have seen some miles, but, it is taken care of.  

The size of the tires remains intimidating, as I have added washes to many resin tire and wheels before, but they are very small in comparison.  With other tires, I use a specific method for getting enough "dust: (Life Color Dust I acrylic) on to dull things down, but not so much as to look like the vehicle has just rolled in from the desert or a mud patch.  

Thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 6

I've built a few of these newer KWs with those stanchions, just end up squireling something together. I know these newer engines are far more efficient that even ones from ten years ago. A single rad is plenty, the rads have even become a bit smaller. I wash buses and we have a bunch of MCI Js from 2008 to brand new. They have sure improved, drivetrain wise at least.