(Finished!) Souvenir Hunters: 1/32 BF-109F Desert Crash Diorama-North Africa 1942

Fellow Modelers,

Here are photos of my recently finished diorama showing a forced landed BF-109F in a desert setting.  The models used on the project consisted of the Hasegawa kit for the airplane, the Tamyia kit for the Tilly vehicle, a Master Box LRDG set for the figures and a Hornet replacement figure head set.  A description of the diorama setup is listed below:

The location is somewhere in the North African desert and the time period is set around February 1942.  A Gruppe III/JG27 BF-109F-4 Trop airplane has been damaged in air combat with RAF Tomahawks (P-40B/C) and Kittyhawks (P-40D/E) and made a forced landing deep behind the British lines.  The unfortunate Experten Luftwaffe pilot has been captured and taken away for processing to a POW camp.  A lull in the ground fighting has allowed several curious British 8th Army infantry soldiers to borrow a Tilly utility transport vehicle to make a quick trip to the crash site to “officially” look for valuable maps or other documents but “unofficially” gather souvenirs to carry back to their basecamp.

On the last photos a desert scene poster was used in the background to create a realistic forced perspective.  I have always wanted a diorama of a BF-109 crashed landed in the desert, as it is such an iconic image.  A complete progress build of this project can be found under the same title in the Diorama-work in progress and Aircraft-work in progress sections.  I hope you enjoy the photos.

271FSM.jpg

272FSM.jpg

273.jpg

274FSM.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

281FSM.jpg

282FSM.jpg

283.jpg

284FSM.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

292FSM.jpg

293.jpg

294FSM.jpg

295FSM.jpg

296FSM.jpg

297FSM.jpg

298FSM.jpg

299.jpg

Until next time...

Phillip1

@Jochen Barett

@bissyboat

@Lord Riot

@Stef N.

@ModelingEdmontonian

@Josep

@Geo1966

@Longbow

@Johnny Tip

@BillF67

@Major_Error

@LorenSharp

@Back in the Saddle

@AdrianMF

@Mozzy19

@Memphis

@marvinneko

@IPMS19

@Muchmirth

@ColinChipmunkfan

@woody37

@Keeff

@elger

@R T Fishall

@Farmer matt

@DJJunis

@cobraleader

@Dr. Quack

@Klaasdebouwer

@SarmaT

@Twobad

@Learstang

@badger

@GREG DESTEC

@John_W

@Stefano Leccardi

@iang

@Markyp2015

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous work Phillip! Love the concept, vehicle, crash, figures and the story emerging from the scene. Forced perspective backdrop also looks fab...  I do think your plane (and the soldiers) seem extremely clean for a desert crash scene. I think there would be a lot of dust everywhere. Have you ever seen a Sergio Leone spaghetti western? A real study in the art of dust, sweat, stubble and grit.

Edited by marvinneko

An extremely well done scene. The theme is really unique and a natural attention grabber. You've done so well.  There's so much to study from start to finish . Excellent craftsmanship. 

Cheers...Rich 

Peter2-Thanks for the compliment!  Yes, the Tilly is by Tamiya.  It is an excellent kit and a real pleasure to build.  In fact, building it was the easiest part of the project.

Phillip1

@Peter2