DC-8-33 African Safari Airways , X-scale 1:144

Hello fellow modellers,

here is the third DC-8 I have finished this year. here is the first one: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235131153-dc-8-52-air-new-zealand-authentic-airliners-1144/

here the second one: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235132131-douglas-dc-8-73-aire-devasion-minicraft-1144/

This one here is from the X-Scale kit with decals from Nazca. 

African Safari Airways started their business with a single Bristol Britannia (available from Roden) and bought this aircraft here as their first jet airliner in 1973 and used it for three years for flights mostly from Basel and some german airports to African destinations.

The -33 used a very special kind of thrust reverser. The rear part retracts to the back, then folds the doors to reverse thrust. After landing, the so called ejector stays in the backward position as shown here.

I hope you like this airliner with the non standard markings.

cheers,

Norbert

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 49

Superb build and in one of the most outstanding liveries too.

I built a Revell DC-8-33 about 12 years ago in these colours.

The black stripes hand painted on as no decal set was available back then.

As of yet,I managed to build almost every ASA aircraft in every livery,except the DC-8-63 in their last livery.No one makes the decals for it😳

I have many fond memories on African Safari Airways as I had a few flights with them when going on holliday in Kenya with my grand parents.

My first trip was on the DC-8-53,in the same livery,the next was on the DC-8-63 in 1992 and the last was in 1995 on the DC-10-30 with extensive visits to the cockpit on the DC-8 and DC-10.

I really miss those days.

Thanks for sharing and bringing back many happy memories.

Alex

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing another excellent model Norbert. The livery is certainly different and it looks like Gaston did a good job with the decals.

How was the build? I have the kit in my stash and I hope to start it shortly. Are there any problems to look out for?

Happy Christmas from Scotland

Dave G

I‘ve always preferred the DC-8 to its competitor from Seattle since seeing an image in, of all things, the Daily Mirror of one of the stretched Series 70s (I think) on its first arrival into Heathrow in the late 1960s.  This colour scheme really suits the aeroplane and @NorbertBu you’ve done a splendid job on it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for sharing another excellent model Norbert. The livery is certainly different and it looks like Gaston did a good job with the decals.

How was the build? I have the kit in my stash and I hope to start it shortly. Are there any problems to look out for?

Happy Christmas from Scotland

Dave G

Hello Dave, X-scale has produced a modern kit using CAD. Theoretically everything fits well, but you have to prepare every single part carefully. The biggest problem are the inserts where the engine pylons join the wings. They are too thick and it is very complicated to level them to the wings. The thrust reversers have to be scraped thinner, but other than that, it is a nice kit you are going to enjoy!

Happy Christmas to you too!

Norbert

• Like 1

Hi Norbert,

As everyone else has said I think you've done a superb job on the kit and given us a very stand out livery too!

I really like the different natural metal tones you've used on the engines and wings and together with the zebra stripes and curtains on the windows makes for a very busy looking model!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...