55 OTU Hurricanes - Summer 1941

Voodoo101B

Good Evening:

I am looking for information on 55 OTU Hurricane V7659. I have the flying log books of PO Harry Marcus Compton, RCAF, who soloed in this aircraft on June 4, 1941. His also crashed in this same aircraft on the 13th (landing gear collapse)

See attached log book photo.

I hope to build several 1/72 models for the family of the aircraft he flew. This will be one of them.

Questions I have on the 55 OTU Hurricanes:

• Assuming metal wings
  • Were guns installed? Canvas patches?
  • Did they have the yellow leading edge stripes? I don't think so?
  • What type of propeller?
  • I too noticed the three squadron code options. Make it a SWAG?

Kits does not have to 100% accurate but in the ball park.

Looking at the Eduard 1/72 WWII British Hawker Hurricane Mk.I [ProfiPACK] kit.

https://flic.kr/p/2pm5p3r

Thanks
Carl

5 hours ago, Voodoo101B said:

I too noticed the three squadron code options. Make it a SWAG?

Perhaps four as Combat Codes quotes EH-, PA-, UW- and ZX- as codes for 55OTU. With such an obscure subject, any OTU Hurricanes you can find may have to be your guide.

• Like 1

I've researched these hurricanes for a commission customer and built a few.

They're a ragtag bunch!

You won't find any pattern to the mark or features installed. I do think they tend to have yellow wings but the various squadron codes make it hard to guess what an airframe looked like without a photo.

Perhaps no guns as I can't see canvas patches but I bet this varied. 

Spinner is not consistent. Below you even see a Mk. X. 

These were the two airframes I modelled having found the best photos.

full?d=1533598283

full?d=1533598283

• Like 2

As others have noted during its existence 55OTU used code letters EH, MF, PA, UW and ZX.  As of February 1941 establishment was 55+17 Hurricane, 17+5 Master and 4+2 Target Tow aircraft.

V7659: 20MU 1 November 40, 310Sq 7 November 40, 260Sq 29 March 41, 55OTU 3 May 41, Overshot and tipped on nose Usworth 13 June 41 Cat AC Sgt HM Compton (RCAF) safe, e/f crashed in field adjoining Usworth Cat AC recat CB 12 December 41 P/O WF Avery (USA) killed,  Morrisons riw 19 December 41, 5MU 4 August 42, 1624Flt 30 March 43, AC 16 September 43, recat CB Morrisons riw 21 September 43, 22MU 12 December 43, 7PAFU 27 December 43, CE mr 16 November 44

Would have been a metal wing Rotol propeller as built as far as I know, being an operational training unit armament would normally have been carried, painted leading edge stripes when the fighters did.

June 1941: Overshot into ditch, onto nose, airframe Cat AC, Merlin Cat B damage, cause seems marked lack of care, pilot had 4 hours on type.
December: engine failed during landing, unable to get undercarriage up before hitting ground, overturned in ploughed field, airframe Cat AC, Merlin Cat B damage, "if pilot had seat fully down (force landing drill) pilot would not have been injured".

P3039 Mark I, Arrived 55OTU 21 September 42 Spun into ground 1/2ml N of Edderside Cumberland CE FA 27 May 43 F/O MS McQualter killed.
AG162, mark I, no such thing as mark X, arrived 55OTU 30 November 42, 22MU 29 June 44.

The Canadian built Hurricane I arrived in Britain as incomplete airframes, to be fitted with instruments, engine, propeller etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Voodoo101B said:

• Assuming metal wings

Camo and marking were same as current fighter markings. Soat date is Temperate Land Scheme

3 hours ago, mahavelona said:

I do think they tend to have yellow wings

Only after Day Fighter Scheme intro in August 41

but the various squadron codes make it hard to guess what an airframe looked like without a photo.

Perhaps no guns as I can't see canvas patches but I bet this varied. 

Spinner is not consistent. Below you even see a Mk. X. 

They vary, but a Serial will help, 

The Eduard kit is a redox of the Arma Hobby kit.  Best 72nd Hurricane available.  I will edit in more later.

You won't find any pattern to the mark or features installed. I

You will, but its serial dependent.

More later. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

As others have noted during its existence 55OTU used code letters EH, MF, PA, UW and ZX.  As of February 1941 establishment was 55+17 Hurricane, 17+5 Master and 4+2 Target Tow aircraft.

V7659: 20MU 1 November 40, 310Sq 7 November 40, 260Sq 29 March 41, 55OTU 3 May 41, Overshot and tipped on nose Usworth 13 June 41 Cat AC Sgt HM Compton (RCAF) safe, e/f crashed in field adjoining Usworth Cat AC recat CB 12 December 41 P/O WF Avery (USA) killed,  Morrisons riw 19 December 41, 5MU 4 August 42, 1624Flt 30 March 43, AC 16 September 43, recat CB Morrisons riw 21 September 43, 22MU 12 December 43, 7PAFU 27 December 43, CE mr 16 November 44

Would have been a metal wing Rotol propeller as built as far as I know, being an operational training unit armament would normally have been carried, painted leading edge stripes when the fighters did.

June 1941: Overshot into ditch, onto nose, airframe Cat AC, Merlin Cat B damage, cause seems marked lack of care, pilot had 4 hours on type.
December: engine failed during landing, unable to get undercarriage up before hitting ground, overturned in ploughed field, airframe Cat AC, Merlin Cat B damage, "if pilot had seat fully down (force landing drill) pilot would not have been injured".

P3039 Mark I, Arrived 55OTU 21 September 42 Spun into ground 1/2ml N of Edderside Cumberland CE FA 27 May 43 F/O MS McQualter killed.
AG162, mark I, no such thing as mark X, arrived 55OTU 30 November 42, 22MU 29 June 44.

The Canadian built Hurricane I arrived in Britain as incomplete airframes, to be fitted with instruments, engine, propeller etc.

Wow! Thank you all. Your research and comments are extremely enlightening and helpful.

I looked at Harry's photo album again but there are no photos of his time at 55 OTU. 

@ Geoffrey: I added up Harry's log book Hurricane hours and yes it is exactly 4 hours including the time on the 13th. Out of curiosity, where did find this information?

Edited by Voodoo101B

6 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

RAF Museum Reel MFC-77-16-24 Hurricane Accident Reports February to July 1941, page 1,388 for Compton. Reel -25 page 1,541 for Avery.

Thank you. I just want to make it was something that maybe I could have done myself but I see this something a bit beyond my reach being in Canada. 😆

Edited by Voodoo101B

16 hours ago, Voodoo101B said:

• Assuming metal wings

probably, just as it is training and it affects weight.  Patches sealed the gun ports up,    but if not doing firing, the patched may have been tiding up with camo paint. 

this monograph explains what happened when and why

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Hurricane

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078582-hurricane-rotol-spinners-the-cm1-vs-es9-quest/

It is possible V7659 had the CM/1 'bullet' Rotol from serial.

not V7659 initially served with 310 Sq, there is a page here on 310 and 312 Sq, but it's not loading for me right now

https://fcafa.com/2012/06/02/hurricane-aircraft-of-310-sqn-and-312-sqn/

google says V7659 was coded NN-A when with 310.

Bingo!

Page 108 of this 

_vyr_7908Hawker-Hurricane-1--dil-predek.

which I just got this weekend, has V7659,  which has the CM/1. 

You could do V7659 in this scheme, as it's the same plane, just a bit earlier.

You may find some construction tips here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/

I'll add more if i think of anything.

HTH

• Like 4