Arma Hobby 1/72 P51B - Old Crow

Evening Britmodellers, 

2023 has been a barren modelling year in the Stickler house. This is the only kit that have managed to complete (I could bore you with the tale of my KP Seafire and the self-destructing decals but that is probably one for another post).  Anyway, here is a NA Mustang P51B as flown by Captain Clarence "Bud" Anderson, 363rd FS, 357th FG in the Summer of 1944.

Arma p51b  6

Arma p51b 2

Arma P51b 1

Arma p51b 3

Arma p51b 4

Did I enjoy making the Arma kit (which has received universal praise)? If you'd have asked me early on in the build, my response would have been pretty negative.  "What's with all these tiny parts? It's not 1/32 you know"! "That's not a decal, it's a microdot"!  As the build went on, however, I grew to love it and, in the final analysis, it has to be the best 1/72 kit I've ever built.  It is also my first Mustang and my first attempt invasion stripes (lots of measuring and masking tape and tricky with a brush).

Will I make another Arma kit? Well  if Santa has got the message   their Mk1 Hurricane should be poking out of my stocking on Christmas morning. 

Enough rambling, thanks for taking the time to look and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

Best regards 

Peter 

Edited by Hairy Stickler
Spelling!
  • Like 46

10 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Well  if Santa has got the message   their Mk1 Hurricane should be poking out of my stocking on Christmas morning. 

Good choice!

The P-51 looks great and well done on the stripes. The idea of brush painting those intimidates me terribly.

• Thanks 1

I just recently got a trio of Arma Hurricanes and if Santa is nice to you, you will not be disappointed.  Your build of the Mustang is also not disappointing.  It is a wonderful build with a quite striking camo scheme.  The white wall tires really do stand out.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

A couple of people have commented on the white wall tyres.  I'm afraid that I can't claim that they are the result of deft brushwork on my part,  they're decals provided with the kit!

I feel that I should say something about Bud Anderson himself as he is a pretty remarkable individual.  A triple fighter ace in WW2, he went on to be a military test pilot and serve his country in both Korea and Vietnam.  He retired from the USAF a full colonel in 1972 and went on into a career in the aviation industry.   In 2022, he was awarded an honorary promotion to the rank of brigadier general.  All being well, he will reach his 102nd birthday next month.

He has a website with some great stuff on it.  Here's a link if you want to take a look:

https://toflyandfight.com

Best regards 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fin said:

Fabulous result! And it’s quite the inspiration for brush painting! What paint did you use for the white stripes?

Thanks for your kind words Fin. I used Ammo by Mig matt white water-based acrylic.