Tamiya Mercedes AMG 500SL

galaxyg

Another kit I bought on holiday in Japan earlier this year. It was a random find in the cheapo bin near the front of a secondhand kit shop in Tokyo's Akihabara district, and the box smells a lot like old-kit-shop. as you'd imagine from the grubby image below. I do love how this car looks, with it's elegant long front. I'd say it's my favourite Mercedes from all of their creations.

spacer.png

Despite being an out-of-production kit, it was only £14 as quite a few parts had been removed from the sprue, and some of the body had been lightly sanded. In Japan, having been started is a doom for the secondhand price, but great for the buyer. Inset to this image is the inspiration, although I don't have any Brabus wheels. The inspiration car is silver and light gun metal despite looking white in this photo. So mine will also be silver and light gun metal. I may change the wheels.  Unlike the box art the inspiration car has clear reflectors for the front indicators and I'll be following that too. 

spacer.png

Despite some parts being removed from the sprues, I'd removed a whole lot more in Japan as I'd also packed into this box the unbuilt Fujumi Murcielago I completed earlier this year. And some chocolate. It's a very nicely detailed kit, one of those where I feel Tamiya gave it the royal treatment. As such, I'm going to try and give my build the same treatment - especially with it having a very visible interior with the roof off, and an engine. It should be a very nicely detailed build.

spacer.png

I've started with the engine, the inset photo is assembled, painted aluminium and then dirtied up a little and then sprayed with Mr Hobby Matt.

spacer.png

For some reason the bonnet and the rear bumper didn't take kindly to their first coat of Tamiya primer.  Sanding these and applying a second coat was all OK however.

spacer.png

The first part of the body: Gun Metal grey. Note also - separate door handles. I've seen that before on a few kits but really not many at all. Nice. Especially as they're black, not body colour.

spacer.png

The roof and rear window are all one piece.

spacer.png

With the aid of some blu-tack, a rough visualisation. The roof here is primer grey but the rest of the body and bonnet is already in it's silver/gun metal combo.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Looking good alread. Personally I'd use the wheels in the box over the ones on the box cover given the choice, but it's your build so you should do it your way.

I have to disagree with you about this being the best looking Mercedes though, my favourite would be the C111. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Below: Painted, clearcoated and polished. Hard to show how shiny silver is in normal photographs, but as it's Tamiya Mica silver from a can as opposed to 1:1 car paint,  it's really smooth paint to begin with. The shine and smoothness of the clear is better than these photos do justice.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

As you say, it's very difficult to show a good finish to silver paint in a photo. But having said, that, you seem to have managed it in these - judging by the reflections there's no orange peel in sight, just a nice smooth silver.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't think I have the patience to do all the masking you do - the masking for the 956 was enough to get on my nerves and yet you do it on every build. And you end up with less overspray than I usually do too.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spiny said:

I honestly don't think I have the patience to do all the masking you do - the masking for the 956 was enough to get on my nerves and yet you do it on every build. And you end up with less overspray than I usually do too.

Discovering Tamiya masking sheet solved a lot of my overspray problems, as it provides a very good seal.  It doesn't solve the tediousness of the masking however..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone.

Back to my Merc build on New Year's Day. Adding in extra details to the engine bay, then the engine itself, which then allows me to complete construction of everything on the underbody.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Below: These are the wheels supplied with the kit. I don't care for them - I'm sure they're to scale but they're too small looking to make the car look as smart as the real-life ones running larger versions of the same rim. Nonetheless I will give them a chance and to do that I'll have to remove Tamiya's horrible chrome back to this military looking green and then via black gloss and Metallic silver, into something more normal.

spacer.png

Which looks like this. Hmm. It's alright but does not wow me. This the kit is male Tamiya-fit wheels, so I have a limited choice on what else I might try. I'll have a rummage around and see what I've got.

spacer.png

• Like 12

Looking sharp. There isn't much under bonnet detailing to be done on these modern cars where everything is under plastic, but what you've done just lifts it nicely. Personally, I'm a fan of those wheels but they do look smaller than how they are represented on the box lid. Actually makes a change from kit wheels often appearing to be slightly too big when clipped off the sprue!  

• Thanks 1

Looking very good, you've done a nice job of the engine bay. Personally, I prefer the look of the wheels as they are on your model to the sometimes ridiculously oversized ones you sometimes see on the real thing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to the real thing (inset), the detail here is a bit flat. I can at least make something for the cross-members and the fan motor housings.

spacer.png

These spare Skyline parts will do for the fans, and scratch-build for the rest.

spacer.png

Works well. Headlight lenses are fitted now too.

spacer.png

Macro photos do no build any favours and this is no different but this is neat - separate pieces for the headlight wipers.

spacer.png

Adding in the rear lights and a custom printed number plate, this one contains my initials and year of birth. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

You did well finding such a rare kit at that price. Even with being ‘started’ it would have commanded a high price if it were on eBay. 

The build is coming along nicely. This shape Mercedes looks great in silver and your paint looks superb. 

• Thanks 1

Continuation of build - interior.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Installation of windscreen and wiper. The inside of the windscreen certainly needs a wipe.

spacer.png

Body and chassis united. The roll-hoop can be moved up and down.

spacer.png

Possible options for wheels. Top: Toyota. Middle - Original kit wheels, bottom - Porsche Boxster wheels.

spacer.png

• Like 3

As the owner of a silver 1992 R129 500SL I am very happy to see this getting built so nicely, and particularly like your choice of paint. That very fine-grained appearance is a pleasure to see.

I'm a bit surprised at what Tamiya calls this car though as it's generally known in R129 Mercedes circles as an AMG SL60. But perhaps things were different in the Japanese market.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for stock wheels

Great looking build so far looking forward to the next update now

Stay safe             Roger   

• Thanks 1