1/48 Swordfish K8864 HMS Warspite 1941

iang

From the pictures, it doesn't really look like anything is wrong with the rigging. (Of course, I put rigging a kit right up there with the fun of masking canopies.)  A very nice swordfish on floats, what is not to like.  Well done and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Lovely job with the original struts.

i gave up with their photoetch and lashed it in the finish next year bin.

eventually I got it out and finished it with my own rigging and it was fine.

if anyone else is doing this I’d recommend to just bin the photoetch and rig it yourself.

BB

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billybookcase said:

Lovely job with the original struts.

i gave up with their photoetch and lashed it in the finish next year bin.

eventually I got it out and finished it with my own rigging and it was fine.

if anyone else is doing this I’d recommend to just bin the photoetch and rig it yourself.

BB

It is tricky to use the Tamiya etch set, but in the Work in Progress for this build I explained a method that gives pretty good result. 

This is my sixth 1/48th scale Swordfish and I've use the Tamiya rigging on three of them. I discovered that if you CA the stub end (the end with the nib that has to be bent at 90 degrees), and leave the other sharp end unglued in the pre-drilled holes, it remains taught. Not so with this one - I think because one or two of the holes were slightly misaligned and I used a drill bit that was  a little too small. I've used elastic thread and stretched sprue, but I prefer the appearance of the Tamiya stainless steel flat wires.

I posted several of these completed builds  in RFI years ago, but all the photos died with Photobucket.  I'll take some more and post an update.

Stunning work. I'm intrigued by the scheme and how you've managed to bring that metal paint back to a kind of dulled weathered version? It's always hard making metallic paint not look like a painted model, but you've achieved it here beautifully. 

Andy

• Like 1

@Ngantek

Andy - many thanks.

Here's a photo of the Swordfish at Alexandria.

Swordfish_L8864 copy

The collector ring was sprayed aluminium and then copper using Mr Metal Color. After that I used polishing powders to adjust the sheen applied with a cotton bud. I use these produced bt Hawkeye that I've had about 25 years. I've no idea if they are still available:

IMG_8760

The advantage of using polishing powders is that the finish can be adjusted after sealing with a matt coat. In a previous build I wanted the copper part quite dull, so applied matt varnish and then used the aluminium powder on the lip, which produces this effect

:

N2S_0839 copy

On the floatplane,  I re-applied the copper polishing powder after the matt coat, and then highlighting with aluminium. It produces quite a different look. 

HTH

• Like 1