Try to squeeze this one through the door...Libyan SIAI SF-260W...

John Masters

I have heard that this kit is a classic 'short run'.  We shall see.  And if I don't make it across the finish line, that's alright.  

53371071517_b30995f16b_z_d.jpg

I'll try the Libyan bird on the boxtop...

53372494198_69c79b7a45_z_d.jpg

53372759875_5d78426144_z_d.jpg

Sprue to follow...

--John

• Like 10

• John Masters changed the title to Try to squeeze this one through the door...Libyan SIAI SF-260W...
7 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

have some photos of the Libyan machines that I took at LAVEX in 2009, will post a couple of images when i get home, if of use

Please do.  That would be good to see.  Thank you. ☺️

• Like 1

I conducted a bit of research on this kit and now I know a few things I didn't know before. The first is that the interior of the nose needs to be thinned out so enough weight can be added to keep it from being a tail-sitter.  The second is that it will need some cleaning and polishing overall.  Definitely short-run, but I anticipate eventual satisfaction.  

Here's the sprue, including the clear canopy and the decals.  

53374710795_c67bbdcb2e_o_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Oh those are great @Swamp Donkey.  A real help, especially with the antennae on the rudder and the paint job.  Tell me...do you have a photo of the aircraft behind the SIAI in the third image?  That looks intriguing.  Many thanks.

Looks like Portland Stone, Desert Tan and a USAF Dark Green might do the trick for the camo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Oh those are great @Swamp Donkey.  A real help, especially with the antennae on the rudder and the paint job.  Tell me...do you have a photo of the aircraft behind the SIAI in the third image?  That looks intriguing.  Many thanks.

Looks like Portland Stone, Desert Tan and a USAF Dark Green might do the trick for the camo.

I’ll try and get to it this afternoon, if not it’ll have to wait until the weekend as I’m off down South for a few days. 

SD 

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Let 410”s as requested

IMG_0383

IMG_0380

IMG_0388

IMG_0385

A couple of funky schemes!

SD

• Like 4

OK...in I go.  I have read the reviews, looked at the sprue and directions carefully.  A short-run kit it certainly is, warts and all.  But with a little tidying up I think it'll look very nice.  Not sure if I'll make the December 17th deadline, but I'll try to do what I can and finish it up in KUTA if needs must...maybe.

The first set of instructions tell a tale.  I first notice that I am supposed to fit 10gr of weight in the nose.  10gr?  Really?  So much?  Oh well...ok...but the plans seem to point out that I need to fit other things in the nose as well, like the front section of the cockpit floor (2) which is also the nose wheel bay.  Hmmm...Ok.  I'll build some stuff first.

53379495783_48d399c0bb_z_d.jpg

So I went ahead and assembled these parts.  Nice decal for the IP, btw.  A choice of two.  Not really sure which one this aircraft would have, so I gave it a guess.  If someone has a better idea, tell me now while I can change things.  And the lead there is a weighed 10gr.

53379495813_ba63716138_z_d.jpg

I gave the interior of the fuselage and assembled cockpit some black wash to bring out some detail.  I will say this...there is decent detail here.  The wing moulding is very nice.  We'll get to that later.

53379495793_3c72991855_z_d.jpg

There's a fair amount of injection pins on this kit.  Nothing new really from the KP and AZmodel factory but one should always be careful in their removal.  

53379495788_cf0b740e9b_z_d.jpg

Now, here is the dilemma.  The red circle shows what has to happen after I add all the weight.  This could be tricky.  I am thinking I will cut up and flatten the 10gms so I can attach them to the top of the cowling, thus leaving space beneath the lead for the nose wheel section to slip in..  And it looks like there is also a small space in front of the IP where I could stash some.  Maybe maybe.

53379634849_9defcb968c_z_d.jpg

More anon...

--John

• Like 7

That's a decent level of detail, and you've brought it out well. I can't think of any better ideas about the weight either, but good luck!

James

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think your idea of where and how to add it sounds like a good one to me.

20 hours ago, 81-er said:

I can't think of any better ideas about the weight either, but good luck!

Thanks lads.  I have had to "fish or cut bait" with this one...you'll see.  I'll post some pictures later.  

It's not for the bin...not yet at least! 😜

• Like 3

Ok...this it what I decided to do.  First off, I tried to get 10gr of lead in the nose and forward fuselage.  Forget it.  Maybe some others could do it, but not me.  If it turns out to be a tail sitter I will use the old trick of a bit of clear sprue as a support in the rear and be happy with it.  Second, the IP does not fit inside the forward cockpit where it is supposed to go.  It is too wide by at least 1mm on each side, which is a lot at this scale.  My solution was to assemble the fuselage first, then once set up and after having trimmed the IP down a bit I inserted the IP it into the cockpit from the front.  It seems to have worked.  And without the lead blocking the cowling, the whole shebang will fit together.  Yes, there  will have to be a bit of putty here and there but that is a small price to pay.  I would rather that than bin the whole thing.  I really do think this will turn out to be a neat little model.  I just have to remember to not follow the instructions.  Oh yes...the exhaust pipes?  They will go in after the cowling is attached, not before as the plans tell me to do.  .

53382308781_63acd4ddfd_o_d.jpg

53381387417_df5660a946_z_d.jpg

53381387417_df5660a946_z_d.jpg  

And a test fit of the canopy has told me that it fits quite well.  There is that!

--John

• Like 7

It sounds like she's putting up a bit of a fight John, not helped by less than useful instructions. It looks like you are getting the upper hand though and I have no doubt that you will beat her into submission. With things like the instrument panel being about 2mm too wide in total it does make you wonder if manufacturers bother to do a test build of their kits to see if they actually fit together or not.

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

With things like the instrument panel being about 2mm too wide in total it does make you wonder if manufacturers bother to do a test build of their kits to see if they actually fit together or not.

I have to remember that with short run kits thinking for oneself is important.

• Like 1

Before I attach the cowling, I have glued the ing onto the fuselage.  It took a bit of fettling but it seems to be pretty clean at the wing roots.  

53383998638_901f97bc42_z_d.jpg

I'll add more in a but.  I have to go give blood...

--John

PS:  Blood donated...cheese and crackers, orange juice consumed.  All's well.  Before I did that I attached the cowling and filled in the gaps with some PPP.  Looking very much like an aeroplane.  

53384156369_19234a6da0_z_d.jpg

53384279470_dc9aaa7bd0_z_d.jpg

53384156374_da02a05272_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Not sure you have enough clamps on there John.😉

I know!  I was not taking any chances!  :thumbsup:

But really...once I decided to forego much of the instructions the aircraft seems to have come together quite easily.  I have chosen rocket pods for my Libyan ground-attack/trainer.  

53383499512_4dfeacbb74_z_d.jpg

I have added the exhausts and the hard points for the rocket pods.

53384854290_c552ed26b8_z_d.jpg

These are neat little pods made up of 4 pieces each and required some delicate fettling to get them to look reasonably ok.

53384729514_d6e1e3ee26_z_d.jpg

I'll let that all set up overnight.  I'll start in on the landing gear assembly tomorrow sometime and probably attach the canopy as well.  So far I am not unhappy with this little kit, despite its shortcomings.  

--John

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's really looking good, John :) It can't be far off paint now, and I'm really looking forward to that as it's an uncommon scheme

Thank you James.  Me too...I'll get done what I can in the next couple of days then after I return on the 13th...

• Like 1