Paint it Black - Arma Hurricane IIC 1/48

I'm not 100% sure I've done this wonderful kit justice with this build, but I tried my best. The engineering and quality behind it is amazing, any issues with the build were mostly of my own making.

I found some of the instruction images a little unclear on alignment of components within the cockpit, but that could have been overcome with a bit more patience and dry fitting on my part. The control column was installed too far forward, so it conflicted with the instrument panel and compass a little, and then it also made the seat sit a little too far aft so it doesn't fit flush with the cockpit opening like it should. If I had realised that the tail end of the control column projected *through* the lower opening in the seat armour plating, this would have led to a better fit.

The proper rear view mirror fell victim to my carpet monster, so I had to resort to the round item instead. Minor problem really.

DSC-1265.jpg

DSC-1267.jpg

DSC-1268.jpg

DSC-1269.jpg

DSC-1270.jpg

DSC-1271.jpg

DSC-1273.jpg

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

I think you've captured the look very well. As Russ says, it's not an easy scheme to pull off.

If it was mine I'd have gone for a less rusty and more burnt metal effect on the exhausts, perhaps, but very nice work all the same! 

• Thanks 1

From the research I did on here, the exhausts on this example were painted "dirty orange" with a heat resistant paint, hence the absence of the glare shields. So they're not rusty, they're painted, but I completely get where you're coming from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robstopper said:

From the research I did on here, the exhausts on this example were painted "dirty orange" with a heat resistant paint, hence the absence of the glare shields. So they're not rusty, they're painted, but I completely get where you're coming from.

Interesting, and something I didn't know about. So please disregard my ill-informed comment! 😄

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, robstopper said:

So they're not rusty, they're painted

Indeed, the weird thing is it makes it look old model kit paint instructions with monocolour rust paint !

It shows up in B/W pics as well once you know!  @IanC

f32d5931-b624-42ea-bbc2-c08259060b39.jpe

The paint was lead based and was meant to reduce the glare of the stacks which would glow a cherry red in flight.

Neat job on the Hurricane too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great job on the night fighter Hurricane.  I did not know about the painted exhausts, but it makes sense if there are not any glare shields attached.  I'm sure two nice glowing red beacons at night would sorta reduce that stealth aspect in night hunting.  German instructions would be just aim between the two red lights.  I am impressed with how well your weathering of the black paint turned out.  Just really nice.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

glare shields attached.  I'm sure two nice glowing red beacons at night would sorta reduce that stealth aspect in night hunting.  German instructions would be just aim between the two red lights. 

it was to preserve the pilots night vision, not as concealment from the enemy. 

HTH

21 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

it was to preserve the pilots night vision, not as concealment from the enemy. 

HTH

If the exhaust glows enough to affect the night vision of the pilot, then it also will be visible to others.  You would be amazed as to how tiny a light source acts like a beacon on a moonless night to individuals you might not want to know you exist.  When I did night missions, I eliminated anything that could reflect light and insured any weapons I had were not brightly polished, but rather dull and faded.  If you are old enough to remember watches that had faces that would glow in the dark, these would be enough to give your position away at night.  But I also agree with you that any outside light at night just wrecks your night vision for awhile.

The 1/48 Arma Hobby Hurricane has got to be the definitive model and this one is superb. I'm working on one at the moment and I've reached the painting stage. Interestingly I've reacquainted myself with Xtracolor enamels which airbrush beautifully because I can't get hold of my usual Colourcoats or Humbrol . I wonder if Arma are going to do a MkI?

Well done Robstopper she's a cracker.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for saying that. I brush painted mine with MIG Ammo acrylic satin black, with Vallejo gloss then matt black clear coats. Weathering was a little bit of grey pencilling, aluminium paint applied with a very fine detail brush, some tamiya weathering powders for the exhaust and cannon staining, and dirt on the wings/tyres, and MIG streaking grime and pacific blue washes for the fluid leaks.

• Like 1