de Havilland Mosquito STGB - The Wooden Wonder - Race to the Bun Fight

Johnson

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the new movie released by Disney with Travolta playing the pilot

Sorry, can't help you with the details Dennis. Hopefully someone will know.

Was the film good?

Cheers,

Charlie

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think I will build the Mossie thats the subject in “The Shepherd”. Ive heard an original broadcast and have seen the new movie released by Disney with Travolta playing the pilot. Does anyone know if it was a single or two staged version. It was supposedly a Path-finder in December of 1943. Would that be a Bomber, Fighter, or Recon variant ? 

It mentions it being from a pathfinder unit in the movie but the version shown appears to be an FB.VI, so single stage Merlins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, modelling minion said:

It mentions it being from a pathfinder unit in the movie but the version shown appears to be an FB.VI, so single stage Merlins.

Thanks Craig, did pathfinders us a bomber/pr variant ? If so I would prefer to build it accurately from the war. I think I would just give it the correct markings of the closest pathfinder unit to the movies location ? That would be RAF Minton or RAF Merriam St.George ?

Does anyone know a list of pathfinder units in the war ?

Does anyone know the bases they operated from in the area of Suffolk and RAF Lakenheath. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've always fancied building a "Tesetse" Mosquito.

Does anyone know if there's a 1/72 kit or conversion available  ?

Yes Pat

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/paragon-designs-72071-mosquito-fbxviii-molins-conversion--1004468

Actually Id like to do a Tse-Tse myself someday. If you find these Pat let me know ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Craig, did pathfinders us a bomber/pr variant ? If so I would prefer to build it accurately from the war. I think I would just give it the correct markings of the closest pathfinder unit to the movies location ? That would be RAF Minton or RAF Merriam St.George ?

Does anyone know the bases they operated from in the area of Suffolk and RAD Lakenheath. 

Pathfinders used the bomber/pr versions, no FB.VI's as far as I know. I am at work at the minute but should be able to find the information you want when I get home. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Pathfinders used the bomber/pr versions, no FB.VI's as far as I know. I am at work at the minute but should be able to find the information you want when I get home. 

Much appreciated Craig. I know the build wont be accurate to the movie, but will be to history. I would build it with the proper codes for the squadron. Only difference would be to add the letters JK to the nose. Just like the one in the movie/story. I found that Heller, Revell, & Airfix shared a mold in their histories. And Frog made one way back in the 1950’s. So I should be able to find a single seat Vampire. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've always fancied building a "Tesetse" Mosquito.

Does anyone know if there's a 1/72 kit or conversion available  ?

Hi Pat. I'm just finishing a restoration of the 1972 Airfix Mk.XVIII Tse Tse Mossie which apparently (I didn't know it at the time) was Airfix's first accurate Mosquito.

This is the Airfix A03019 kit, released in various boxings and probably your best bet as it has the Mk.XVIII 'Tse Tse' decals.

186904-32432-74-720.jpg

This is what I've done so far, should give you some idea of what the kit's like - not quite up to Tamiya standards, but I'm enjoying it!

The later Airfix boxing contains the same parts plus those for a nightfighter, but won't have the decals for the Tse Tse:

145454-11185-pristine.jpg

I looked for the Paragon conversion but I don't think its readily available now.

Anyway :wicked:...

Can I sign you up the the Mossie STGB?

Cheers,

Charlie

• Thanks 2

I don’t think I’ve officially signed up Charlie, so best throw my name into the mix, please. 
No idea with what as yet, although got a number from most manufacturers stashed. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely :like:

Thanks Pat!

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

No idea with what as yet, although got a number from most manufacturers stashed.

Plenty of time to decide Dave.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Thanks 1

Me too for another Mosquito @Johnson, I've obviously not had my fill yet but it will definitely be a more modern kit than the two 'terrifiers' that I am locked in combat with right now! Regards, Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Me too for another Mosquito @Johnson, I've obviously not had my fill yet but it will definitely be a more modern kit than the two 'terrifiers' that I am locked in combat with right now! Regards, Mike

That's great, thanks Mike. You've obviously got the Mosquito bug! Or should that be bite?

Cheers,

Charlie

• Haha 1

I shall throw my hat into the ring and sign up for this one Charlie. I have always had a love for the Mosquito and while I don't have a family connection to any aircrew I used to work for Roll Royce at their Ansty site which is where Standard Motors built FB VI's, the perimeter track and part of the runway and control tower were still there when I started and the assembly shop was still in use as a machine shop, some of the machines still had DeHavilland nameplates on them! My two previous 1/48 builds have been done as aircraft built there so I might well continue that trend or I could do a bomber, pr or nightfighter.

Craig.

• Thanks 1

Here you go Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle, a list of pathfinder Mosquito units and their codes;

1409 Met Flight 

105 Squadron – GB

109 Squadron – HS

128 Squadron – reformed September 1944 – M5

139 Squadron – XD

142 Squadron – reformed October 1944 – 4H

162 Squadron – reformed December 1944 – CR

163 Squadron – reformed January 1945 – there is a considerable query over what code this squadron had

571 Squadron – 8K

608 Squadron – reformed August 1944 – 6T

627 Squadron – A2

692 Squadron – P3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I shall throw my hat into the ring and sign up for this one Charlie.

Excellent! Glad you could join us Craig.

Thanks,

Charlie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Here you go Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle, a list of pathfinder Mosquito units and their codes;

1409 Met Flight 

105 Squadron – GB

109 Squadron – HS

128 Squadron – reformed September 1944 – M5

139 Squadron – XD

142 Squadron – reformed October 1944 – 4H

162 Squadron – reformed December 1944 – CR

163 Squadron – reformed January 1945 – there is a considerable query over what code this squadron had

571 Squadron – 8K

608 Squadron – reformed August 1944 – 6T

627 Squadron – A2

692 Squadron – P3

Thanks very much Craig. That will give me a fighting chance to try and figure out stations. So far my strongest chances would be 105, 109, and 1409. Forsyth mentions in the spoken story that the Mosquito was from the Meteorological flight. So that puts 1409 into the mix ? The other squadrons would be pushed out as the story mentions the Mosquito and pilot J. Kavanaugh disappeared on Christmas 1943. So unit and station would need to exist prior to this date ? My research yesterday into units and stations in Norfolk and Suffolk showed 105 & 109 as strong possibles. I will run the rest of these to make sure though. 

Dennis

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Having an Airfix kit in the stash, please add my name to the list.

Your on the list! Thanks.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Both old and new Airfix Mossies in multiples, and several Tamiya Mossies. 
The STGB would help making a dent in that. 

I'm hoping to do the same Dirk.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anyone know the bases they operated from in the area of Suffolk and RAD Lakenheath. 

The Shepard- from a short story by  Frederick Forsyth, It was a pretty good movie, short though. Only 40 minutes long saw it the other night.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

The Shepard- from a short story by  Frederick Forsyth, It was a pretty good movie, short though. Only 40 minutes long saw it the other night.

So did I as well as hearing an original recording of Forsyth reciting it. Its inspired me to do both aircraft so will need to find a single seat Vampire in either 1/72 or 1/48. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

will need to find a single seat Vampire in either 1/72 or 1/48. 

In 1/48 the Airfix kit is excellent.  But you will need to find a source of depleted uranium to provide the nose balance.  Alternative you could put some Cavorite in the rear fuselage.  :fool: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so Ive done a bit of digging and I think the Pathfinder unit would have been one of two units. 571 Squadron at RAF Downham Market in Norfolk. 2nd option would be 109 Squadron at RAF Stradishall in Suffolk. The two outliers could be 105 Squadron at RAF Wyton and 627 Squadron at RAF Oakington. Both of which are Cambridgeshire. The other units listed in.  @modelling minion’s post are either post christmas 1943 or wrong aircraft. 

• Like 2