de Havilland Mosquito STGB - The Wooden Wonder - in the Bun Fight!

Johnson

On 12/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, Johnson said:

Hi Britmodellers,

It would seem that we've never had a STGB dedicated to The Wooden Wonder, de Havilland's WW2 masterpiece the Mosquito. For a plane (almost) as iconic as the Spitfire, that ought to be rectified. If you agree, sign up for a wooden (or plastic) wonder in 2025!

The last time we had a sort of Mosquito STGB was in 2017 when it was incorporated into a De Havilland Mega GB.  That would make it 7 years ago. About time we had a proper Mossie STGB!

There are lots of lovely Mosquito kits out there from 1:144 to 1:24 (and in our stashes!)

So why not add your name to the list?

Cheers,

Charlie

PS - if anyone would like to co-host this one, should it get through the bun fight, do say.

1. @Johnson

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3. @vppelt68

4. @Keeff

5. @Fatcawthorne

6. @Rafwaffe

7. @stevehnz

8. @Marklo

9. @Karearea

10. @franky boy

11. @TEMPESTMK5

12. @Zephyr91

13. @Paul J

14. @JOCKNEY

15. @Ventora3300

15. @Rabbit Leader

16. @modelling minion

17. @Jabba

18. @alt-92

19. @LorenSharp

20. @Wings unlevel

21. @Collin

22. @AdrianMF

23. @ThreeGreens

24. @Courageous

25. @Trevor L

26. @wellzy

27. @Wez

28. @John Masters

29. @Roland Pulfrew

Sign me up please

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jovapad said:

I could join also.

That's great, I'll add your name to the list on the first page.

Thanks,

Charlie

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Johnson changed the title to de Havilland Mosquito STGB - The Wooden Wonder - The Race to the Bun Fight

Hi Mossies,

We're over the first hurdle (30 names) and now in the bun fight!

There are some strong contenders for STGBs in 2025 and as of today 3 entries with 33 names!

Keep watching (and put your name down if you haven't already), lots of time to go.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 2

• Johnson changed the title to de Havilland Mosquito STGB - The Wooden Wonder - Race to the Bun Fight
  • 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, Johnson said:

PS - if anyone would like to co-host this one, should it get through the bun fight, do say.

1. @Johnson

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3. @vppelt68

4. @Keeff

5. @Fatcawthorne

6. @Rafwaffe

7. @stevehnz

8. @Marklo

9. @Karearea

10. @franky boy

11. @TEMPESTMK5

12. @Zephyr91

13. @Paul J

14. @JOCKNEY

15. @Ventora3300

15. @Rabbit Leader

16. @modelling minion

17. @Jabba

18. @alt-92

19. @LorenSharp

20. @Wings unlevel

21. @Collin

22. @AdrianMF

23. @ThreeGreens

24. @Courageous

25. @Trevor L

26. @wellzy

27. @Wez

28. @John Masters

29. @Roland Pulfrew

30. @Neil Whiteley-Bolton

31. @jovapad

32. @wimbledon99

33. @Richard Humm

If the dates work, I’d be happy to co-host. Got to love a Mossie, even if I have built 3 in the last year! Still got plenty of options to do though, only one of the ones in this but of the stash got completed! 🤦🏻‍♂️

51964328590_35e5e788d9_b.jpg

As we are passed the magic 30, shouldn’t this GB proposal be in the Bunfight for 2025 @Enzo the Magnificent 😗🧐😇?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys,

I’ve already declared my interest here, however just wondering if any of you Mosquito experts can answer the question I posed in the Post War - Aircraft section about the differences between the Airfix 1/72 B.XIV and B.35? 

Cheers and thanks. Dave 

8 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

You can add me.ti the list for this one, I've been itching to build a mosquito 

Thanks @S-boat 55 - you're added.

4 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

If the dates work, I’d be happy to co-host.

4 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

As we are passed the magic 30, shouldn’t this GB proposal be in the Bunfight for 2025 @Enzo the Magnificent 😗🧐😇?

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your offer to co-host. That would be fantastic if the dates work for you, and it gets through the Bunfight. Looks like we're in the bunfight!

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

just wondering if any of you Mosquito experts can answer the question I posed in the Post War - Aircraft section about the differences between the Airfix 1/72 B.XIV and B.35?

An interesting question Dave.

Possibly  @Dave Swindell might be able to help? He's very knowledgeable about the Mosquito and helped me enormously during my recent Mk.XVIII build.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Johnson changed the title to de Havilland Mosquito STGB - The Wooden Wonder - in the Bun Fight!
On 08/04/2024 at 11:25, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve already declared my interest here, however just wondering if any of you Mosquito experts can answer the question I posed in the Post War - Aircraft section about the differences between the Airfix 1/72 B.XIV and B.35? 

The Airfix BXVI (not XIV, that was an unbuilt Nightfighter variant) is based on lidar scans of the TT35 at Cosford. TT35's were converted from B.35's, so removing the TT modifications that Airfix erroneously left in the kit will give you a B35 airframe.

Modelling wise there's not really any difference between the B35 and the BXVI, hence why Airfix have boxed it as such. B35's had Merlin 113/114's instead of 72's, and the radio fit/aerials varied depending on useage.

Check photo's of your chosen subject for the details.

On 08/04/2024 at 12:16, Johnson said:

He's very knowledgeable about the Mosquito and helped me enormously during my recent Mk.XVIII build.

:blush: :blush: :blush: Well I am rather fond of the Mossie....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Charlie, I’m really interested in this STGB. You’re right, the Wooden Wonder deserves its own GB. It’s a good thing I am retired, but what else would I do .

Something I have always wanted to do is the 4 different versions that Monogram offered in their kit. I have the kits waiting patiently for an opportunity like this.
The movie 633 Squadron was a huge inspiration, with many favourite quotes, like other great movies from that era.

Please add me to the list.

Vesuvius! Vesuvius Sir!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The Airfix BXVI (not XIV)

Thanks Dave and apologies for the Mk. error, that was just a typo on my part. 

I appreciate the confirmation that my project seems to be heading in the right direction. On a personal note, do you think the kits heavier canopy framing is typical of the B.35, or just the way it has been depicted within this kit? 

Cheers and I apologies from drifting from GB talk… Dave 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Dave and apologies for the Mk. error, that was just a typo on my part. 

I appreciate the confirmation that my project seems to be heading in the right direction. On a personal note, do you think the kits heavier canopy framing is typical of the B.35, or just the way it has been depicted within this kit? 

Cheers and I apologies from drifting from GB talk… Dave 

The pressurised Mosquito's as depicted in the Airfix kit BXVI/PRXVI and B35 had reinforced canopies with heavier framework than the earlier unpressurised BIV/BIX bomber canopies as depicted in the Tamiya kit.

The Airfix kit moulding isn't quite as refined as the Tamiya kit which might result in the Airfix canopy framing looking a bit on the heavy side if you're not careful when painting it.

Masking the glazing and painting the whole of the raised frames will emphasise the heaviness of the frames.

Sanding the raised frames off, polishing the canopy and replacing the frame with strips of painted decal film (or masking and painting) should improve the look. There's a spare canopy for the version you're not building to have a practice on first.

If you don't fancy sanding and polishing the canopy, using painted decal film strips on the top of the frames might help reduce any overheavy look, again you could test this out on the spare canopy, maybe try this first before sanding off the frames to see which method gives a look you like and suits you and your skillset best?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:14 PM, MrB17 said:

Hi Charlie, I’m really interested in this STGB. You’re right, the Wooden Wonder deserves its own GB. It’s a good thing I am retired, but what else would I do .

Something I have always wanted to do is the 4 different versions that Monogram offered in their kit. I have the kits waiting patiently for an opportunity like this.
The movie 633 Squadron was a huge inspiration, with many favourite quotes, like other great movies from that era.

Please add me to the list.

Thanks Jeff - You're on the list!

633 Sqn - absolutely! (If we survive the Bunfight!)

Cheers,

Charlie