Jump to content

Can You Help An Aircraft Modeler?


Mark Cassidy

Recommended Posts

Folks

 

I wondered if you some kind soul might give me a few pointers in the right direction, I have an idea , I fancy building a diorama based on the Australian Beaufighters that carried out air strikes against Japanese ships around the south west pacific.  My idea is to have a beaufighter passing over a Japanese transport/merchantman, at mast height as a pair of bombs skip towards the unfortunate ship.  

 

So scene set , Im looking at a 1/72 scale beaufighter, so what I was thinking is having a just to build a cross section of the ship to form 1 end of the diorama and I wondered if you might know where I could find perhaps plans for such vessels? It doesn't need to be specifically a Japanese design, I can make the back story of the diorama fit , it was a British merchant ship pressed into service after the fall of Singapore for example. Im also open to all suggestions as to how to achieve this or any good reference sites, videos ect ect

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mark Cassidy said:

Folks

 

I wondered if you some kind soul might give me a few pointers in the right direction, I have an idea , I fancy building a diorama based on the Australian Beaufighters that carried out air strikes against Japanese ships around the south west pacific.  My idea is to have a beaufighter passing over a Japanese transport/merchantman, at mast height as a pair of bombs skip towards the unfortunate ship.  

 

So scene set , Im looking at a 1/72 scale beaufighter, so what I was thinking is having a just to build a cross section of the ship to form 1 end of the diorama and I wondered if you might know where I could find perhaps plans for such vessels? It doesn't need to be specifically a Japanese design, I can make the back story of the diorama fit , it was a British merchant ship pressed into service after the fall of Singapore for example. Im also open to all suggestions as to how to achieve this or any good reference sites, videos ect ect

Hi Mark,

 

Many of the merchant ships belonging to Japan at the start of WW2 were actually built in UK, so not all were captured tonnage.  I have a fair selection of plans for Japanese transport and merchant ships, including those that survived WW2 and went back to the dockyards for repair and refurbishment.  I also have these books which contain lots of plans to 1:700 scale.  Send me a pm to discuss the type of vessel you would like details of.

spacer.png

 

cheers,

 

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This link will take you to the US Office of Naval Intelligence booklet from March 1945 setting out the various standard Japanese merchant ship types. From the USN & USAAF strike photos I’ve seen from 1944/45 most of the shipping being hit in and around the DEI / Philippines area were smaller vessels often referred to as “Sugar Dog” type freighters or simply “barges”. See p56 of the ONI document for examples. Large 8,000-10,000 tons merchantmen became much a rarity as the war went on.

 

http://www.mystiwot.nl/myst/upload/archive/4992211104135817.pdf

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ewen,

 

that is a good reference of what small vessels were afloat in 1945.  I have all of these ONI's, I think, in PDF format.  Incidentally, there were hundreds of merchant/transports and oilers etc., that survived the war and went on to further service in peacetime.  I have a database listing most of the vessels, some with plans.  On cease of hostilities, surviving ships were laid up all around the country; some in a very bad state.  When the situation and economy of Japan improved, the ships were taken in hand, at surviving shipyards, and repaired and refurbished.   I think that I have few hundred photocopies of those plans, which I bought off an engineer who worked on the refurbishment and who also started collecting the plans.   Just a note, he told me that not all the plans survived the bombing, therefore plans of sister ships sometimes had to be used instead.

 

@Mark Cassidy  If you want any of these publications then, again, pm me for any which might interest you.  Be aware, some of these PDF are up to 100MB in size so you would need to provide me with a high volume storage link; such as Dropbox, or send me a memory stick.

ONI-208 - Merchant Ship Recognition Manual - N577

ONI-208J (revised) - Japanese Merchant Ships - N582

ONI-208J (revised) Supp1- Japanese Ships on Hepburn Spelling - [from N582]

ONI-208J (revised) Supp2 - Far Eastern Small Craft (1945) - N583

ONI-208J (revised) Supp3 - Standard Classes of Japanese Merchant Ships - N583

ONI-208J - Japanese Merchant Ships (1942) - N584

 

cheers,

 

Mike

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/11/2023 at 23:28, Richard E said:

Can I presume to refer you to @Courageous current SS Fushimi Maru build.

Yeah something like that thanks, if am honest am note exactly sure what type of ship, something thats easy to model am thinking something thats easy to scratch build so maybe something a bit smaller lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/12/2023 at 16:03, EwenS said:

This link will take you to the US Office of Naval Intelligence booklet from March 1945 setting out the various standard Japanese merchant ship types. From the USN & USAAF strike photos I’ve seen from 1944/45 most of the shipping being hit in and around the DEI / Philippines area were smaller vessels often referred to as “Sugar Dog” type freighters or simply “barges”. See p56 of the ONI document for examples. Large 8,000-10,000 tons merchantmen became much a rarity as the war went on.

 

http://www.mystiwot.nl/myst/upload/archive/4992211104135817.pdf

 

Mate that's a great PDF you posted for me, very helpful handy for getting to grips what type of ship I might be looking for , thank you , decisions decision's lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/12/2023 at 16:59, bootneck said:

Hi Ewen,

 

that is a good reference of what small vessels were afloat in 1945.  I have all of these ONI's, I think, in PDF format.  Incidentally, there were hundreds of merchant/transports and oilers etc., that survived the war and went on to further service in peacetime.  I have a database listing most of the vessels, some with plans.  On cease of hostilities, surviving ships were laid up all around the country; some in a very bad state.  When the situation and economy of Japan improved, the ships were taken in hand, at surviving shipyards, and repaired and refurbished.   I think that I have few hundred photocopies of those plans, which I bought off an engineer who worked on the refurbishment and who also started collecting the plans.   Just a note, he told me that not all the plans survived the bombing, therefore plans of sister ships sometimes had to be used instead.

 

@Mark Cassidy  If you want any of these publications then, again, pm me for any which might interest you.  Be aware, some of these PDF are up to 100MB in size so you would need to provide me with a high volume storage link; such as Dropbox, or send me a memory stick.

ONI-208 - Merchant Ship Recognition Manual - N577

ONI-208J (revised) - Japanese Merchant Ships - N582

ONI-208J (revised) Supp1- Japanese Ships on Hepburn Spelling - [from N582]

ONI-208J (revised) Supp2 - Far Eastern Small Craft (1945) - N583

ONI-208J (revised) Supp3 - Standard Classes of Japanese Merchant Ships - N583

ONI-208J - Japanese Merchant Ships (1942) - N584

 

cheers,

 

Mike

 

Mike 

 

Thanks that's very kind of you , I will indeed drop you a wee PM shortly when I figure out what am going for.  I have since become aware that the UK built a fair few merchant vessel's for Japan, some were even built up here on the banks of the Clyde , who knew ! 

 

Regards 

 

Mark

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, and it would have been a Scots crew that ferried (crewed) the ship out to Japan. They would then have to wait for something coming back before they could get home.  No international flights back then.

 

cheers,
Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

aaahh, I love the idea for the diorama ... however, I am just wondering what the bombs would actually hit, if they get released directly (even at mast hight) above the target? Or are you planning on a really big diorama with the a/c at a distance from the target ship? Of course, it could be pilot error to release so late ;)

 

If the diorama just shows a small portion, e.g. the cargo hold or the focsl, it would be hard to identify the ship based on that, especially if you would choose to build a smaller vessel (which also of course makes the diorama less giant), which all looked pretty much the same all over the world ...

 

Just my 2 cents, I definetly don't want to diss your idea, I can imagining it to look just great!

Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...