What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

I noticed on the side of the bottle that it is suitable for vegans. I know the recipe is a closely guarded secret, and I have never been able to work out what is in it. I find it really good for adding a bit extra to gravy if needed. My niece who lives in London, but went to Sheffield University still likes the stuff. 

• Like 1

I've acquired this little gem for the STGB later in the year. It's an absolute stunner with 1/35 level detail and great value with all the metal, PE and 3D bits you need included. I just hope my eyes and shaky fingers are up to it. 😄 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hogan 777 Air France, put a bid on one only half wanting it as it’s my fourth 777 not knowing I’d get a better offer on a Skymarks 747 I’d rather have accepted given I can get the herpa version, probably is nicer model in the flesh so can’t complain given it’s a pretty low price 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Falcon Clearvax Canopy Set #08 RAF Bombers, before there’s a run on them for the Hampden rerelease.

Also ran across a new Arma F-6C for a very good price on an online auction site, couldn’t resist the stunning French example on the cover.

• Like 2

Few Christmas acquisitions from myself, and others...

spacer.png

F4F book, & TIE Fighter courtesy of SWMBO, Avro Lancaster (Pt II), Bomber Command, & The Last Dambuster, courtesy of my Father-In-Law. The Bomber Command, and Dambuster books were actually charity shop finds, and he thought that I may find them interesting... He may be right on that point!:giggle: The Tamiya F-35A is via my own wallet and Antics in Plymouth at a shade over £70, reduced from the usual retail price of about £90. The other bits & bobs were from the Mother-in-laws craft room as SWMBO and her sister decided to have a clear out whilst we were having our Christmas/New Year break with family. I decided to snaffle them instead of them being disposed of via the charity shop... The paint pens should really come in useful.

• Like 4

I was busy today. I collected a Roden Camel I had ordered last week. Very nice looking kit, but most of the roundel decals are out of register. I also grabbed a Vintage Classics Mk. I "Male" tank (wot I built aeons ago). Then there was another delivery of second-hand kits, of which I could have bought 5 or 6, but I settled for just the 3, including the upgraded "Female" tank. The Academy Komet I have built before, but I wanted another so I can build the two-seater sometime.

IMG_20240112_152702_dr_030.jpg

• Like 10

I bought this,

IMG-2199.jpg
Set me back forty quid. Looks a nice book at a glance, but it covers development and RAF, German and Saudi use of the Tornado as well as Italian. I did take a flyer buying it online, hoping it would be packed with images of camouflaged Italian Tonkas. Sadly there are not an awful lot given the 200 plus pages. Why are photos of 80’s Italian Tornados so hard to come by? Still, it is a nice book.

• Like 4

These little beauties arrived today. Now I have to acquire some turnbuckles etc. I enjoy rigging ships, so thought I would give these a try. Really wanted a WW 1/32 something or other, but that’s going to lead to a heated discussion, so I will wait for a mood change from the commander in chief. Still, pretty happy with these in the meantime.

IMG_7334

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 7

Sabre, MiG-15 & Hunter by Stewart Wilson. $3 charity shop find.

Jet Combat in the Nuclear Age by Martin Bowman, from the ‘free’ table at the local library. 

Pretty good summer reading material!

• Like 3

From The Aviation Bookshop Tunbridge Wells

Republic Aviation F-84F & RF-84F Thunderstreak and Thunderflash book , by Samuel Prétat , published late 2023 by Minimonde 76 , upgraded and expanded 128 page A5 English language edition of the 56 page A4 dual French/English title which was released in 2007 as part of a bundle from Redux along with a pair of 1/48 Revell/Monogram F-84F kits , twin decal sheets by Hi-Decal and masks.

Via eBay (Rarewaves-United)

Single No. 25 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter book , by Dariusz Karnas and Leuwe de Vries , published 2021 by MMP Books , new from the US for just over £9 with free shipping which worked out cheaper than buying in the UK , usual format with 1/72 plans , Tech Manual excerpts , black & white / colour images including close-up detail , one three-view colour profile.

From The Aviation Historian

Subscription copy of The Aviation Historian Issue No.46 journal , usual mix of well researched and well written articles covering a wide range of time periods and subjects , including – V Bomber rear crew ejection seat projects , HMS Vindictive carrier operations in the Baltic during 1919 , Curtiss Hawk biplanes (and float-planes) in Peru , US Helicopter Airlines in the 1940s and 50s , Commonwealth CA-23 post-war jet fighter project , Miles Aerovan to Shorts Skyvan and much more.

From Hannants

Begemot 48019 Sukhoi Su-24 Fencer Family decals , four sheet set covering 55 aircraft with multiple variants from - Russia , Ukraine , RuAF , USSR , Belarus , Algeria , Syria , Iraq ,Iran , Libya, Azerbaijan, Sukhoi Test Bureau.

Begemot 48020 1/48 Sukhoi Su-24 Family Full Stencils decals , four sheet set with multiple variant options as well as pylons/stores/weapons decals . . . . . the stuff of nightmares with what looks to be many ,many hundreds of tiny , tiny little stencils.

Via Ali Express

(Wyrd Resin Figures Planet Store) 1/35 USMC Tank Crew (In Vietnam War) resin figures , ( Valkyrie Miniatures USMC Tank Crew In Vietnam War set lookalike but far cheaper) with two full figures and one half-figure along with separate cast microphone booms.

(Figure Factory Store) 1/35 Scale U.S Tank Crew 3 People resin figures , (Bravo-6 USMC Tank Crew In Vietnam War set lookalike but again far cheaper) with two full figures and one half figure but without the etch microphone booms of the original.

• Like 1

Heard this kit is nice if not dimensionally perfect. Be interested to see how it compares to my Airfix 1/48 Mosquito I’ve got to finish. 
Better still it was only a tenner :) 

Mosquitoe 1/48

Apart from a canopy mask, this will be OOB unless there is any other essential add-ons that are recommended 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, chrisrope said:

Heard this kit is nice if not dimensionally perfect. Be interested to see how it compares to my Airfix 1/48 Mosquito I’ve got to finish. 
Better still it was only a tenner :) 

Mosquitoe 1/48

Apart from a canopy mask, this will be OOB unless there is any other essential add-ons that are recommended 

Not really Chris, she is a nice kit, the U/C is a bit fiddly but other than that quite nice.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Backlog post. 
Books:

The Evans book is something that relates to my Uni coursework, besides that it's a good read too.

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!906922&auth

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!907081&auth

Kits:

Finally succumbed to the Modern pressure and added a Typhoon of the jet-propelled type to the stash.

Also some VIC colour paints from Japan to try out. There's plenty of JASDF stuff to use it on.

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!906914&auth

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!907087&auth

embed?resid=3bf77d171b0e492c!907191&auth

• Like 8

More bubble-wrap from Airfix, this time with a Bloodhound SAM thrown in.

I'm strongly tempted to just paint the dog on it own as a Blitzbuild entry !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ak interactive RAF Temperate paint set, was going to try their dark earth but it’s out of stock everywhere so been umming and ahing over the set, ended up in my basket again and it was stopping me going to sleep so I just caved and ordered it. Also slightly kicking myself, amazon had the Airfix valiant down to under 43 quid and it’s now back up to 54 quid, got a healthy voucher balance that would have paid for that…

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On the train back from Halifax to Leeds (courtesy of West Yorks elderly concessionary scheme), with an Airfix Rotodyne and a Flightpath Vulcan B.1 conversion. Flightpath say it will fit the original issue  Vulcan, and I have one in the stash for 40 years, so I reckon I have amortised the cost of the kit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Airfix Rotodyne

Do let us know if you're also part of the 'bent-or-broken-prop' squad. 

This, bought via an online auction in which nobody else took part, so I got it for a very good price:

20240118_154636

The contents are all present and correct. That price label on the box end reads '4/0d', or four shillings - it's older than I am!

I have a plan, but some effort will be required.

Jon

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Do let us know if you're also part of the 'bent-or-broken-prop' squad. 

Yep, one prop blade is hanging on by a whisker. It is crammed into the box. Still, the decal sheet looks very nice. The instrument panel decals are pretty good. 

• Like 1