What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Which wedding took place 49 years ago this September, in September 1975.

The more mathematically minded will have worked put that September 2025 is our golden wedding anniversary.

Congratulations for September. If I had stayed married first time round it would have been 48 years thus December. Having well and truly dodged the bullet there, I am happy to report it is my 34th wedding anniversary to Mrs T this coming Sunday.

Happy Anniversary to you both!!

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2024 at 20:29, Captain Glumbo said:

Another book down the pants for me :(

Were at the holiday park opposite Coningsby next week (looking forward to some Typhoons flying over, but alas no BBMF planes due to the tragic loss), so we (already) had a day planned in Skegness.  What better way to spend a few hours but to go pester Dave at his Emporium's new barn :). I've just sent over my (chopped down) order and I will be collecting them the back end of next week.  Think I'm going to have to drop swmbo in skeggy, loop back and hide them where I can in the car (I dont need a spare do I?), and meet back up with her.  Try and keep them hidden on the way home and when we unpack the car.  NOT going to happen!

Revell 04992 1:670 scale Star Trek U.S.S. Voyager

AMT 1296 1:650 scale Star Trek Classic USS Enterprise

Airfix A05131A 1:48th scale North American P-51D Mustang

Airfix A05135 1:48th scale Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV

Heller 80445 1:125th scale Concorde Air France

Airfix A05120B 1:48th scale Messerschmitt Bf109E-3/E-4

Airfix A05129 1:48th scale Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Tropical

Revell 05674 1:144th scale Space Shuttle with Booster Rockets 40th Anniversary

not going to happen.  had to cancel the holiday so wont be visiting Dave's Emporium :( Will have to mail order then, when I get chance.

• Sad 2

We seem to have somehow ordered a new car. When Mrs T retired, her car was on its last legs and with a long list of MOT advisories, and so last year it went. We have a ten-year old Citigo, which is an OK car around town, but at the beginning of the year needed a lot of spending on brakes. Our plan was always to get a newer car, and we have spent some time looking. Eventually, we had settled on a newish Toyota Yaris as meeting our needs. Second hand cars are not cheap these days and as her Blue Light Card is still valid, even though she has retired. Imagine our surprise when we found we could buy a new Yaris for very little more than the second hand ones we were looking at, such was the discount. Looking forward to receiving it, although it may be a wait, and if it is going to be a little later we have the option of deferring to 1st September for a 74 plate.

• Like 5

On 6/6/2024 at 3:20 PM, Mr T said:

We seem to have somehow ordered a new car. When Mrs T retired, her car was on its last legs and with a long list of MOT advisories, and so last year it went. We have a ten-year old Citigo, which is an OK car around town, but at the beginning of the year needed a lot of spending on brakes. Our plan was always to get a newer car, and we have spent some time looking. Eventually, we had settled on a newish Toyota Yaris as meeting our needs. Second hand cars are not cheap these days and as her Blue Light Card is still valid, even though she has retired. Imagine our surprise when we found we could buy a new Yaris for very little more than the second hand ones we were looking at, such was the discount. Looking forward to receiving it, although it may be a wait, and if it is going to be a little later we have the option of deferring to 1st September for a 74 plate.

Me too.

Well I picked it up Wednesday actually and its not new but it is new to me.

• Like 2

A 1/72 metal barrel for a T-55 all the way from an unknown maker in China as I can't find any Aber or RB ones closer to home!

I have one already and it's a brass clone of the Aber one. Certainly better than cleaning up molding lines on the Trumpeter one!

• Like 2

Have the 1/35 Academy Panzer III Ausf.L "Battle of Kursk” on the way from Poland. Found it for a nice price on EBay.

Cheers,

George

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Another avalanche of books, reading for the use of.

Here they are (apologies for the crappy photo)

SAM_4088

From Left to right;

Zero Days, competent looking business conspiracy/false accusations against the heroes kind of thriller;

The Savage Storm; James Holland, the italy campaign;

Spies, by Calder Walton; "the epic intelligence war between east and west

The three body problem; So many people have been telling me they are reading/have read this that I thought I might as well get it and read it myself.

The year of the locust; Terry Hayes. When his first book, I am pilgrim ,came out, I was utterly lost in it. I had to read it - on the train, in the office at lunchtime, at home, I devoured it. I am hoping for a similar reaction to this, a kind of spy thriller.

The Shadow network, by Tony Kent; described on the cover as Britain's Jack Reacher, which gives a clue as the type of book it is.

London, reign o'er me by Stephen Tow; a history of how London has shaped the rise of modern "rock" music via its art colleges, clubs, managers, and the bands themselves.

Operation Pedestal by Max Hastings, his account of the Pedestal convoy to Malta in 1942.

I've also got coming for fathers day two more books in the 33 1/3 series of monographs on individual albums, one on 3 + 3 by the isley Brothers, an album I've had for many years, and 101, a double live album by Depeche Mode. Not heard the album yet, it'll be interesting to see the author's take on the album.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 4

The second installment of my monthly book splurge has arrived. 'Sea Wolves' cost me the princely sum of £0.70...plus £2.45 p&p (hardback) and is in very good condition as advertised - opposed to the well-thumbed and damaged dust cover item I was half expecting. Couldn't really lose at that price, but pretty chuffed all the same. 

20240607-222342.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

How do chaps,

Been to Figureworld North show at Easingwold today and spent some of my (recent) birthday money! I'm really getting the figure bug! 

These are around 60mm and were cheap enough to practice on. White metal with some great detail on them.

p?i=3e65f30ce2b2749d9bde71581bac47f7

Saw one of these painted up in the comp and had to bag one as i just love the dynamic pose. Resin 75mm Prussian from the 7yrs war. The detail and casting on this are just brilliant! 

p?i=c2a5ca3062a859dc5f21bb97dd1845b5

Really enjoyed the show with some fantastic work on display and looking forward to going next year.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

How do chaps,

Been to Figureworld North show at Easingwold today and spent some of my (recent) birthday money!

Regards,

Steve

Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day!

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, Happy belated birthday from Mrs T and I. Saw the figure show was on, but went to the Northern Model Show the week before, as more my cup of tea. 

• Thanks 1

Various Charity Shops In East Lothian

Been on holiday on the coast there this week (bright and sunny but even more Baltic than home in Montrose where we never do warm) and as well as various Lee Child , Michael Connolly and a return to Garrison Keillor after decades picked up the following books.

Heaven High Ocean Deep – Naval Fighter Wing At War , by Tim Hilier Gravers , published 2019 by Casemate , FAA’s 5th.Fighter Wing on HMS Indomitable in the Indian Ocean and Pacific.

Desert Cats – The RAF’s Jaguar Force In The First Gulf War , by Danny Burt , published 2023 by Pen & Sword , as the title and very well illustrated.

Duxford Airfield Of Dreams – A Guide To Aircraft At Duxford , by John M. Dibbs , published 1992 by Airlife in what was at that time a very prolific series of colour photo books.

All three of the above apparently as new and unread for £10 which was the same as the following obviously well used volume cost.

Aircraft Of The Fighting Powers – Volume 1 , published 1941 by the Harborough Publishing Company , compiled by H.J. Cooper & O.G. Thetford and edited by D.A. Russell , question now is am I content with it as a curio do I go for collecting a full set.

Also got myself an atlas I have long been thinking of getting , not the latest edition and a bit more expensive than all of the above together but a fraction of the cost new and in comparison with their Concise Atlas that I have a bit like comparing an edition of Jane’s All The World’s Aircraft with an Observer’s book.

The Times Comprehensive Atlas Of The World – 11th. Edition , published 2003 by Times Books , again apparently as new bar crumpled corner in the slip case.

From B & B Resin Design in The USA

Waiting for me when we got home - Tim Biggers at B & B now owns and markets what had been the AMS range - file:///C:/Users/user/Desktop/041824%20-%20B&B%20Resin%20Catalog.pdf  – so got the following for my recent Trumpeter F-100 purchases.

BB48011 1/48 F-100F Ejection Seats (front seat has folded headrest)

BB48022 1/48 F-100D Ejection Seat

BB48039 1/48 F-100 Corrected Nose & FOD Cover x 3

BB48052 1/48 F-100C Ejection Seat with corrected Joystick and Pedals

BB48060 1/48 Mk.47 WP Bombs (pack of six) (small white bombs often seen on Vietnam-era Skyraider CSAR loadouts)

My recent haul from my Japan trip. I bought, got some kits, tools and books. Thanks to @Red Dot for the suggestions and found his guide very useful. I did not go to Leonardo or  Yellow Submarine as the temptation would be too great, Tam Tam was a disappointment as was Volks. Where I stayed was at Ryogoku there was a nearby Yodabashi Camera at Kinshicho and their prices were cheaper than those at Akihabara. The F-16XL and the white box (A-6 Intruder wings for the Fujimi kit) are from http://lonestars.web.fc2.com/SaleIndex.htm and the owner is very helpful and was able to post the kit to my hotel. Also bought the latest tool to have, the Argo File from Japan https://argofile.co.jp/ja/products/tools/4199-2?catid=20 which I tried out  and glad I bought one.

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Regards

Robert

• Like 8

I bought some micro drills designed for making small holes in printed circuit board. I don't really deal with PCB much, but on the YouTube channel GrandpaMark's Hobbies he uses them to drill small holes in plastic. I liked that idea so I bought some.

Here is the eBay seller I got them from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/395002017945?var=663576913857

There are 3 different size selections available. Each set has 5 sets of 10 drills.

100_0297

I also bought another paint rack for my Vallejo paints. Need to build it and paint it. I got it from eBay as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/172922002974

gamecraftminiatures has other sizes and styles available as well.

100_0298

I have one of these already, but I'm running out of room in it. I also have one for larger bottles, such as Mission Models Paints and Badger Modelflex. I'll relocate that one elsewhere.

100_0299

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, flyboy2610 said:

micro drills designed for making small holes in printed circuit board.

I have used these quite a bit (pardon the pun). They are very sharp and very aggressive, which is nice, but they are also very brittle and snap off easily if you’re not careful about keeping them perfectly straight during the drilling.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrB17 said:

I have used these quite a bit (pardon the pun). They are very sharp and very aggressive, which is nice, but they are also very brittle and snap off easily if you’re not careful about keeping them perfectly straight during the drilling.

Cheers

Jeff

Maybe that's why they give you 5 of each! 😁

I'm sure that side loading is not something they were designed for! It's my understanding that they are actually intended for use in a high speed drill press, but Grandpa Mark uses them as finger drills. (Drilling WITH fingers, not through them!)

• Haha 2

Lets see 1/72 Hasegawa F-4E old mold (free), Heller T-33, Heller Super Étendard, Hasegawa 1/72 P-38 original 1970’s mold, and old Hasegawa F4U birdcage Corsair from 1981. Bought from a friend clearing out his older stash kits. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Glumbo said:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/avro-lancaster-biii-a08013a

my wife spotted this in a charity shop. Still sealed £20. Bargain! Couldn’t get in quick enough

Actually now I’ve got back, it’s the Sam busters version

https://uk.airfix.com/products/avro-lancaster-biii-special-dambusters-a09007a
So £46.99 not £39.99 so even better bargain

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 11:07 PM, Robert said:

My recent haul from my Japan trip. I bought, got some kits, tools and books. Thanks to @Red Dot for the suggestions and found his guide very useful. I did not go to Leonardo or  Yellow Submarine as the temptation would be too great, Tam Tam was a disappointment as was Volks. Where I stayed was at Ryogoku there was a nearby Yodabashi Camera at Kinshicho and their prices were cheaper than those at Akihabara. The F-16XL and the white box (A-6 Intruder wings for the Fujimi kit) are from http://lonestars.web.fc2.com/SaleIndex.htm and the owner is very helpful and was able to post the kit to my hotel. Also bought the latest tool to have, the Argo File from Japan https://argofile.co.jp/ja/products/tools/4199-2?catid=20 which I tried out  and glad I bought one.

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Regards

Robert

A pleasure Robert. I'm pleased to know that you managed a few shops, resisted some and still came back with some excellent goodies.

Andy

• Like 1

Spoke to the fellas at Ammo MIG with regard to the possibility of purchasing spare parts; namely, the clear parts for the new-tool 1/48 MiG-17 kit, as I've got the Hobby Boss example, and saw that the windshield on it is beyond awful. Today, the clear sprue for the new-tool Frescos has arrived.

spacer.png

Much better.looking than the awful Hobby Boss offering. 

• Like 2

My latest purchase is the Academy 1/35 German Panzer III Ausf.L "Battle of Kursk“, purchased off eBay and incoming from Poland.

Cheers,

George

• Like 1

A newly released 1//72 scale Fine Molds F-15DJ aggressor. It should be noted that kit comes with a sprue not contained in earlier FIne Molds F-15DJ kits. The sprue contains parts for an ALQ-131 ECM pod plus different camera pods, I think it's the same sprue contained in the Fine Molds RF-4EJ kit. I really like this scheme and may build it much sooner than I planned.

spacer.png

I am this close (holds thumb and index finger an inch apart) to finishing these two Fine Molds F-15DJs. I will use (have started) DXM decals, sheets 21-7107 and 31-7159, and ALQ-131 pods from the Hasegawa weapons set. And yes the masking was endless, for the past month my days have consisted of waking up, masking and then painting, rinse and repeat the next day. 

spacer.png

• Like 10

Skymarks 757-200 1/150 Icelandair 'Hekla Aurora'....I've got her in 1/400  1/200 and i was in the right place at the right time for the Skymarks with the price...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 4