What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

Posted (edited)

There has been a going conspiracy with all the supermarkets that has made obtaining cocktail sticks round here an impossible task so finally relented and ordered 1000 from Amazon, that should last a good few years. Also had an eBay offer thing so spent the last few days choosing kits, finally decided only to have an offer sent on one of eliminated ones as I was in the checkout and changed to that, it being a revell f-35a

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

Had a small flurry of purchases yesterday. From Hobby Search Japan, a 1/72 Revell Tiger II, From an ebay seller a Hobby Boss P-51B & from Hobby terra a SovaM (Amodels plastic) Jetstream 31  which has decals for two local birds, quite excited about this one, just hope the decal are up to scratch.

A reasonably significant (for me) non modelling purchase was a set of roof bars for my Suzuki Vitara 3 door. I bought a fitting kit for it from Repco, which had them on sale, thinking it would fit my existing bars, oops, not so, mine were the old style, OK, I've had them for close to 25 years, :shrug:, so went looking for the best buy on some new bars, about NZ$350.00, normal retail, Supercheap Auto had them for club members at NZ$262.00 for a set of 120cm bars, slightly longer than I needed but trimmable, but then, when I went in there, nestled among their stock I spotted a set of 110 cm bars at a clearance price of NZ$149.00. Pick me, pick me.:D Same length as my old ones & a better size for the Suzuki. Result. :) 

Steve.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

SovaM (Amodels plastic) Jetstream 31  which has decals for two local birds

I’ve been eyeing that one up- interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives. The Originair livery looks great.

https://ua-hobby.com/collections/1-72-aircraft/products/1-72-jetstream-super-31-5-blade-propellers-version-sova-m-svm-72053

Edit: the above suggests they’re printed by Decograph, and certainly look very nice. Not sure about the orange-y tint to the Originair graphics though.

Edited by Karearea

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

There has been a going conspiracy with all the supermarkets that has made obtaining cocktail sticks round here an impossible task so finally relented and ordered 1000 from Amazon, that should last a good few years. 

I found some in our local branch of Morrisons. The only problem is like everything else, the wretched things have shrunk. Who would have thought that shrinkflation would apply to cocktail sticks. An alternative to Amazon is the catering supplier Nisbets, that seem to be in most large towns and cities. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mr T said:

I found some in our local branch of Morrisons. The only problem is like everything else, the wretched things have shrunk. Who would have thought that shrinkflation would apply to cocktail sticks. An alternative to Amazon is the catering supplier Nisbets, that seem to be in most large towns and cities. 

Seems my Morrisons is in on the conspiracy and I don't have Nisbets near me, will check morrisons again next time I'm that way 

edit: and ordered some more ak interactive paint to try 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Karearea said:

Not sure about the orange-y tint to the Originair graphics though.

Not sure about that, the ones I looked at initially were on Super-Hobby & looked quite pale but most others I've looked at are quite a deep yellow, might have to resort to Oldmodels after all for this. :(

Steve.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:25 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

It might be 'sticky' - leave it in the sun and it will finish curing. I will cut windows from a CD case, the nose blister will need vacforming.   Apart from a little cleaning up it looks good.

Arrived this morning and is slightly 'sticky' so thanks for the tip.

Regarding some of the smaller windows I am wondering if UV laser pen cured resin drawn across the gaps will do the trick although like PVA or Krystal Klear there are limits to the gaps it will keep its integrity on , been a couple of years since I last used it so will need to check that mine has not dried up and that the resin is compatible with the material the kit is printed from but pen and resin can be picked up for around £10 on eBay.

The seller mentioned PVA but I think it might be pushing it. Never tried the UV pen method. I'll look into it, thanks

4 hours ago, Des said:

Arrived this morning and is slightly 'sticky' so thanks for the tip.

Regarding some of the smaller windows I am wondering if UV laser pen cured resin drawn across the gaps will do the trick although like PVA or Krystal Klear there are limits to the gaps it will keep its integrity on , been a couple of years since I last used it so will need to check that mine has not dried up and that the resin is compatible with the material the kit is printed from but pen and resin can be picked up for around £10 on eBay.

An early trip out this am, first to TK Maxx at Crown Point to buy a new pestle and mortar to replace a broken one, then to Nisbets for some vinyl gloves (about the only place that sells extra large) and some cocktail sticks (£2.39 for 1000). I finished up at the big petshop and bought some more fish food, a roll of plant weight and five Red Badis (to replace some fish that have died of old age recently). A good morning and now off with Mrs T to a plant sale and the local nursery. This will be her show as no idea if it isn't edible. 

• Like 2

From Key Publishing

Airfix A06107 1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 kit , current annual UK subscription offer for Airfix Modelworld equates to roughly twelve issues for the cost of ten but with the Vampire kit ‘free gift’ offer this effectively reduces to around twelve issues for less than the cost of four (assuming of course that one actually wants a Vampire kit and would be paying full RRP).

From The Aviation & Military Book Shop

Air Craft History Vol.4: RAF Fighters 1950-60 Overseas Based Units Part 3 book , written and illustrated by Mark Smith and the latest release by Coastal Craft , colour multi-view artwork throughout with the scale given for each.      There were four years between Parts 1 and 2 but only three months between parts 2 and 3 so looking forward soon (hopefully) to Part 5 focussing on the Javelin and then later titles covering French Air Force in North Africa 1945-1965 and Fleet Air Arm 1950-1960.

Via eBay

Trumpeter 02839 - 1/48 F-100C Super Sabre kit , bought the D & F a couple of weeks back but for no sensible reason did not buy the C at the same time – now rectified , free shipping and a few pounds below RRP which will go towards some of the ‘fixes’ on their way from the US.

Belcher Bits Kit BK-5 1/48 Westland Lynx (Naval Variants) resin kit - second-hand , parts for HAS.2 /3 / HMA.8 plus decals for Royal Navy /French / German / Dutch / Danish / Norwegian and Portuguese examples – thought it might be handy to have some odds and ends to make the Airfix kits I have on the shelf a bit different if they ever get built.

Aeroclub 1/48 Lightning T.4/5 multi-media kit - second-hand , bought the F.6 in the 1990s at the Scottish Nationals held in the Albert Hall in Stirling (imagine trying to fit the show in there now) after watching a demo from John Adams which made it seem so easy , ended up a few years later swapping some of the metal parts with the plastic from the later Airfix kit to the benefit of both models and thinking I might try the same again with my Sword T.5.

Dorset Print Man 1/48 Belvedere HC.1 Helicopter 3D-printed kit - basic parts , essentially a single-piece full fuselage incorporating engine housings and undercarriage legs as well as cockpit detail along with separate partial cabin roof and cockpit canopy frame parts as well as individual  wheels , dingy pods and tailplane end plates ,  ‘challenging’ clear bits , some detail parts needing sourced from scrap/scratch but better than the alternative which I imagine could involve starting with a foot or so of 30mm diameter plastic pipe.      How fast I will proceed and how far I will actually get are yet to be seen.      By then of course there will be the new surprise Airfix kit (or maybe just a re-box of the long promised Mikro-Mir example) which will be released in a 1/48 triple pack along with the Scimitar and the Swift as the 2025 Club Kit on the theme ‘Kits We Think No-one Would Ever Buy When They Could Have More Spitfires Instead’.      Bought via eBay but flier in the box shows the seller's website at - www.thedorsetprintman.com - for their wide range of aviation and naval subjects.

• Like 2

Thought I'd better grab one of these before Ukraine nicks them all :)

1504914-32809-28-pristine.jpg

And an LF Scout to keep an eye on it !

• Like 2

I got a voucher for the big river for my Birthday in April. I used it to buy the ATST that I subsequently sent back as it had previously been harvested for parts. They refunded me, but nothing else took my fancy. So today they delivered various fillers, glues and a rattle can of primer that I'd selected to top up the supplies instead of a model. All at good prices I might add.

• Like 2

A TMD resin interior for Academy/ Airfix's M3 Stuart from ebay.

Been after one for years as the kit is very wrong and this was a very reasonable price.

As a bonus it come with TMDs replacement, corrected upper and lower hull which is ideal as I made a bit of a mess of the original kit some years ago and this saves a fair bit of work sorting it all out.

• Like 2

Could not resist any longer, although I usually only build in 1/32 scale the reviews and online build threads convinced me to buy this, and Jadlam had it on offer.

It will be built after I have finished my current build.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Could not resist any longer, although I usually only build in 1/32 scale the reviews and online build threads convinced me to buy this, and Jadlam had it on offer.

It will be built after I have finished my current build.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Id be much in the same category if Airfix drops an VIII with these moulds. I could resist. That or a New tool 1/24 F4U Corsair. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bought the newer release of Revell's '70 Torino Cobra. Earlier this month I bought an NOS kit of the early release of the Torino GT. I have since learned that the lower body lines aren't quite correct, and the NOS kit has low-back bucket seat instead of high-back's. The newer release rectified both issues. So I'll use the body and seats from the newer kit and make it correct.

100_0230

I've also realized I've become something of an airbrush collector. I'm up to 10 right now. My latest 2 are both new from Harbor Freight. They are Spectrum Black Widow brushes. They've been making automotive spray guns for a while, but only recently got into airbrushes. One's a 'traditional' brush, the other is s trigger style, which s something I've been wanting to get for some time.

100_0222 100_0233

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, though. I also bought a couple of spray cans of Car-Rep's https://car-rep.com/us/ 2K  gloss clear. Traditional 2K spray paints have the hardener in a balloon inside the can which must be punctured before use. After that you usually have about 48 hours to use it all up before it hardens in the can. The hardener in this 2K paint is activated by water, specifically the water vapor in the air. So when the paint is used, it will harden, but unused in the can it won't. So you don't have to use it all up within 48 hours! :penguin:

100_0232

I got it from Spraygunner.com, but they have dealers all over. The can says it cane be used over solvent based or water based paints. I've got some repairs I need to do on the wife's '06 Chevy Trailblazer, so that's why I bought it. I don't intend to use it for modeling purposes!

Edited by flyboy2610
  • Like 4

Those Black Widow airbrushes look really smart! I'm so used to seeing chromed airbrushes that the black finish really stands out and makes it interesting. Is it black inside the cup too?

25 minutes ago, kiseca said:

Those Black Widow airbrushes look really smart! I'm so used to seeing chromed airbrushes that the black finish really stands out and makes it interesting. Is it black inside the cup too?

No, the inside of the cup has a burnished metal look to it. Not sure what metal it is, but it's non-magnetic. They both have some weight to them, they don't feel like cheap pot metal airbrushes!

• Like 1

How do chaps.

Collect this on Friday... a Kia Ceed GT Line.

p?i=35f19f4b02034799c7337dcf85adb3a1

Always wanted one of these and the lease on my current motor ends soon. Not leasing this one as i've bought it, and have blown the modelling budget for the next 20 years or so! 😆

Regards,

Steve

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, kiseca said:

That's a lovely colour!

It's called Blue Flame and is by far the best blue i've seen. I've decided it's my mid life crisis motor! 😆

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve, that's a really nice looking car and colour. Alison would like the blue! We are seriously looking at the Toyota Yaris. Found out that with a Bluelighy card we might be able to pick a new one up for about the same price as a newish second hand one. 

• Like 2

Last Kia I drove was a Forte hire car in 2016. It was so much nicer than the Fiesta they'd given me the week before. Fortes are not for sale in UK so I never even knew they existed until I was handed the key for one, but it was very nice to sit in and very nice to drive. I hope yours is the same!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hi Steve, that's a really nice looking car and colour. Alison would like the blue! We are seriously looking at the Toyota Yaris. Found out that with a Bluelighy card we might be able to pick a new one up for about the same price as a newish second hand one. 

Thanks Martin,

I just renewed my Blue Light yesterday! Did ask car dealer if they gave discount with it but alas no ☹️

I was looking at Toyota's but the Yaris is too small and i didn't want to keep getting mistaken for an Uber in a Corolla! 😆

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1