What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

Airfix 1/72 B-24H Liberator. The one I intend to build from this is a B-24H-25-DT, so it will require some scratch building to get there. From what I’ve learned from all the chit chat on here, if you’re not doing either of the ones in the kit you might need some photos to pin things down. Fortunately for me I had wanted to do an H long before the kit was even announced, and I had planned on trying to convert a Minicraft kit. This will make things much easier with a nicer result. Also negates the need for nose weight.  Also Preiser parachutes in extremely thin vacuform in white with all the panels and gores clearly defined, they should work ok.

Airfix 1/72 B-24H IMG_2762 Preiser Parachutes

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 7

I’ve been building an Arma P-51, and although I’m modelling it as an RAAF Mustang III, I’ve fallen in love with the USAAF P-51C ‘Evalina’ scheme too.

The budget doesn’t extend to another Arma Mustang at the moment, so I found an Academy P-51 I’ll use the decals on. At first glance it looks a lot nicer than I expected, particularly for the price of a coffee and piece of cake! 

• Like 1

Two Tamiya classics re-visited. I intend to swap the hull sides and rears between them to make both vehicles more accurate. With a few more tweaks the very rare M3A2 becomes the far more common M3A1. But it's the nicely posed crew figures that really attracted me to doing these again after so many years.  

spacer.png

• Like 7

Don't have an image of the box art but two Airfix Fairey Gannets but I'm sure, many of you will have seen it? The new 1/48th scale release. What a kit it is, great surface detail and quality of moulding only seen first in Airfix's Sea King release.

Three options on the decal sheet. Early marques are given but scope for a Mk4 and 5, the type I worked on as a sproggy NAM at RNAS Culdrose back in 1964!

I have been building kits since the late 1950's, mostly Airifx and Frog in those days. These days, I have migrated to 1/48th scale, mainly due to diminished eyesight.

Colin, south of the equator.

• Like 3

Well, I've had a few bits arrive recently ... 

First up, a sonic cleaner that I used on my airbrush .... after drying it was ljke new! 

AFV club tracks for the Tiger I'm building in the STGB, and a wet palet paint thingy .... 

No pics to show all this frivolity unfortunately! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanC said:

Two Tamiya classics re-visited. I intend to swap the hull sides and rears between them to make both vehicles more accurate. With a few more tweaks the very rare M3A2 becomes the far more common M3A1. But it's the nicely posed crew figures that really attract me to doing these again after so many years.  

spacer.png

Nice!  I have the M3A2 in the queue .... built it many years ago and fancied another go! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

A couple today.

P-51B North Americans sweetheart Stepchild that saved the 8th Air Force- Marshal & Ford, arrived today from the UK via free shipping from Amazon, the only way I was going to afford it. First impressions are highly favourable. Also some decals, the Caracal A-10 ones I mentioned recently arrived, plus, from Super-Hobby, AMLD 72034 P-40C "First Victories" & from Hannants, a couple of sheets of Xtradecals, Foreign Hawker Hunters & Mig-17F, PZL Lim 5 etc.. Postage is getting way silly from the UK, but my mate who has been out over the summer & is returning next summer will have some more stuff to bring next time. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

I bought an Enkay lighted magnifying visor. I wanted a genuine Opti-Visor, but nobody around here has one, and I really didn't want to wait for one to come n the mail. My local hobby shop had this one in stock, so I spent $22 on it. It works pretty good. The light is quite handy.

100_0196

There are two different lenses. There is the fixed lens, and another that flips up and down. The loupe is good for getting in REAL close.

100_0197

I've only used it once so far, but I'm happy with it! I do wish it had a strap for over the top of the head, but for the price it's not bad!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

I bought an Enkay lighted magnifying visor. I wanted a genuine Opti-Visor, but nobody around here has one, and I really didn't want to wait for one to come n the mail. My local hobby shop had this one in stock, so I spent $22 on it. It works pretty good. The light is quite handy.

100_0196

There are two different lenses. There is the fixed lens, and another that flips up and down. The loupe is good for getting in REAL close.

100_0197

I've only used it once so far, but I'm happy with it! I do wish it had a strap for over the top of the head, but for the price it's not bad!

I have the same visor sadly I found it gives me headaches. I think my head is wrongly shaped or the lenses mess with my eyes. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@flyboy2610 please don't think I was disparaging your purchase. I was just commenting on how it didn't work out for me. They are handy to have and wish I could use mine. 

Oh, I didn't think you were disparaging my purchase! I was just sad that it gave you headaches. As you said, it could be the fit, or it could be that the lenses were messing with your eyes. I also have one of these, from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/desktop-magnifying-lamp-60642.html

image_23806.jpg

That could be an alternative. I use mine a lot.

Edited by flyboy2610
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, flyboy2610 said:

Oh, I didn't think you were disparaging my purchase! I was just sad that it gave you headaches. As you said, it could be the fit, or it could be that the lenses were messing with your eyes. I also have one of these, from Harbor Freight:

image_23806.jpg

Yes I have one similar to that and is what I currently use. It helps a bit but I still take my glasses off for most of my work. 

• Like 1

From Hannants

CMK 48358 1/48 Martin-Baker Mk.2 Ejection Seat resin part with moulded seatbelts

Master-Model 48-080 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante Pitot Probe and AOA Sensor brass replacement part for Trumpeter Kit , know that I am going to break the plastic part so as well to miss out the middle man.

From Amazon

A-26A/B Invader Illustrated book , by Lou Drendel , latest release in his Aviation Art Inc. series published by Amazon , usual style with mix of colour/b&w images , author’s own artwork , technical manual excerpts.

From Aero Research

Collection 1117 F-16 Viper - Part 3 pdf download , 151 high resolution images , many in special schemes , most USAF with a few USN.

From The Scottish Nationals at Perth

Went down with three kits and one book in mind , got the book , just missed one of the kits (if only I had circulated counter-clockwise) but ordered all three online once I got home . . . . . had too !!!   'Phoned to say I was on my way home and was asked if I had got everything I had been looking for , answered honestly that I had not found the kits I wanted but could always order them on-line when I got home and met with no objections whatsoever.

Guideline PublicationsWarpaint Series 142 – Dassault Mirage F.1 book , by Andy Evans , latest release from Guideline and has one of my photos of a ‘probed’ F.1B in it

The Avid Reader - Three for £10 second-hand book offer – Harrier At War book , by Alfred Price , published 1984 by Ian Allan , well illustrated in black & white throughout and covers development and service up to and including the Falklands as well as USMC use.

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt – The Final Chapter - Latin American Air Forces Service book , by Dan Hagedorn , published 1991 by Phalanx Publishing Co. Ltd. , contents as title including late US service , good selection of images with colour section and sideview profiles.

The French Foreign Legion - The Inside Story Of The World Famous Fighting Force book , by John Robert Young , published 1983 by Thames & Hudson , well illustrated history and then current mid-80s coverage.

From The Kit SwapSwiss Hunter book , by Peter Gunti and Peter Lewis , published 1994 by Sentinel Aerospace Ltd. , glossy hardback released in the final year of Swiss service with 20 page German/English history and 100 single colour photo to a page images with captions , aircraft histories etc, as appendices.

From Lucky Model UK Warehouse – been on my ‘would like to buy one eventually for a while list’ for a while and as I could not find any of the kits I was looking for it got ticked off today - Kinetic K48122 1/48 E-2C Hawkeye – French Navy Specials kit

• Like 6

For someone who swore blind he'd avoid photo-etch when he took up with this maritime madness, I've obtained quite a bit lately. 🤣

More quick service from Starling Models - finishing touches for Ark Royal, Speaker and a few RN battleships...

20240429-154602.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, scautomoton said:

I've gone over to the dark side. The force is strong with this one! The force is not so strong with Fusion 360.... definitely need to think about another CAD package.

AP1GczMEzg3kymN34vgTntAxbrT4wYFqsa6SRamX

I use Siemens NX (not for 3D Printing, I prefer full scratchbuilding). It is also a pig to work on, so I would not suggest it.

It's been a book week at Hughes towers, with a purchase from the NEC model show and a CD from Amazon. First then the modelling purchase; 3 bottles of vaguely desert-ish colour paints, from Ammo; not tried these before, so will e looking forward to see what they are like.

And a CD of "rarities" from John Entwistle's solo career. I've been aware of this for a while, but decided over the weekend to get it.

SAM_4063

First books bought; Killing Thatcher isn't a novel, it's the account of how the IRA planted the bomb in the Grand Hotel Brighton in an attempt to kill Thatcher and certainly at least some of the cabinet. Very interesting stuff.

Then How Westminster works  - and why it doesn't. Extremely interesting book, whose main theme is that Parliament exists to serve the Governments, rather than the citizens of the UK. I have now finished reading this book, and it describes what are frankly some hair raising practices - and omissions in governance of the UK. it does rather puzzling omit any reference to the Privy Council, where elements of legislation are effectively brought in on the nod in the Privy Council. I may email him and ask why he doesn't refer to it.

Finally, AuRevoir Britannia by Sylvie Bermann who was the French Ambassador to the UK during the EU referendum period and afterwards. As I've said before, it's irrelevant what you think of the UK leaving the EU, it was a deeply fascinating  period of time and I think well worth reading about. I had hoped her book would describe the reaction of the French from her perspective as ambassador to the UK, but sadly it isn't as good in that respect as I had hoped.

SAM_4064

Next books; The Parliamentary battle over Brexit is as titled an account of the battles in parliament between 2016 and 2020 between MPs and the various governments. It is jointly authored by Meg Russell, who Ian Dunt (author of How Parliament works above) cites in his book, very approvingly. I am looking forward to reading this and comparing its narrative to the recent book on Johnson at No. 10.

The other book is a bio of Charlie Watts, the now deceased Rolling Stones drummer. I've read good reviews of this book, and like the other books bought this week am looking forward to reading it.

SAM_4065

Finally,  Cold People by Tom Rob Smith. This is a kind of Sci Fi book where a mysterious alien civilisation orders the people of Earth to go to the Arctic, and the ramifications of that. I've read several of his books, and found them to be excellent. Last of all, Who she was, by Tony Parsons, the ex NME writer on music from rock to punk. He;s actually written an excellent series of detective novels, and this one is a venture into psychological drama about a woman (presumably with secrets) moving to a new town.

SAM_4066

There's some reading there!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, flyboy2610 said:

image_23806.jpg

Thank you for posting this, I stopped by my local Harbor Freight this morning and picked one up. I may get another to use while airbrushing.

Surprise, surprise ... got this Monday last week. I was front of the queue when they arrived in my local hobby shop.

a09010_1.webp%3Ffit=1

I'm sure by time I get around to building it (not this year, probably not next), the issues with the wheel misalignment will have been well and truly analyzed, and easy fixes worked out.

• Like 6

On 4/30/2024 at 8:01 AM, Whofan said:

Who she was, by Tony Parsons, the ex NME writer on music from rock to punk. He;s actually written an excellent series of detective novels, and this one is a venture into psychological drama about a woman (presumably with secrets) moving to a new town.

I've not read any of Parson's thrillers but thoroughly enjoyed his Man & Boy, Man & Wife, Catching the Sun & Beyond the Bounty so I should enjoy this but the reviews on Good Reads are somewhat polarised so I'll be interested to see how it goes.

A package arrived from my favourite local supplier, Minikiwiland, with a couple of Vallejo shades I wanted plus an Italeri P-51A, maybe not the best kit but buildable & with 6 yummy looking schemes to tempt me. :)

Steve.

• Like 1