What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

Lucked out and found an AMK Mig-31BM/BS going for  half the MSRP. on Evilbay. I'll save this for a rainy day when I can do a proper full build,

53659063408_95e1d766ab_c.jpg

This is a monster of a kit.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

A Unicraft Boeing Bird of Prey. I'd heard Unicraft castings could be, erm, challenging but lets just say I am somewhat unprepared for the workload I have ahead of me when I come to tackle this one...... To top it off, Igor has just posted me an Avro 606B, lets hope its better.

• Like 4

A few books this week. Thanks to @Pete in Lincs a copy of Michael Caine's "Blowing the Bloody Doors Off" from a local 2nd hand book seller & from Amazon a couple of books to get free postage. "Gone the Dark Night" by Graham Clayton, a follow up to his "Last Stand in Singapore" I read recently & the story of the recreated 488(NZ) sqn as a night fighter unit. Also, "To Save an Army", the story of the Stalingrad airlift by Robert Forsyth, a topic I've long been curious about, this should satisfy most of that I feel.

Steve.

• Like 4

Was driving towards the offramp leading to a great local hobby shop, and my wife suggested I pop in for a treat. Left the motorway like Ari Vatanen rounding a corner!

Anyway, came away with an Eduard MiG-15bis Profipack. Can't decide on the United Arab Republic or Hungarian scheme, both are visually compelling.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Karearea said:

Was driving towards the offramp leading to a great local hobby shop, and my wife suggested I pop in for a treat. Left the motorway like Ari Vatanen rounding a corner!

Anyway, came away with an Eduard MiG-15bis Profipack. Can't decide on the United Arab Republic or Hungarian scheme, both are visually compelling.

Nice that she did that, I think Id go Arab with it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Karearea said:

Leaning that way too. I like the little bat!

Well, that's not a very flattering thing to call your wife! 😲

• Haha 7

Also, "To Save an Army", the story of the Stalingrad airlift by Robert Forsyth, a topic I've long been curious about, this should satisfy most of that I feel.

I have just finished it as an audio book. It is interesting, as it deals with some less regarded elements of military operations, like aircraft serviceability. The discussion of carrying capacity is a bit of an eye opener. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

I have just finished it as an audio book. It is interesting, as it deals with some less regarded elements of military operations, like aircraft serviceability. The discussion of carrying capacity is a bit of an eye opener. 

Good to have a positive take on it. It seemed to review well on Amazon & Good Reads though I guess I was looking for a focus more on the peripheral aspects of the campaign.  I have read a fair bit about but always remained dissatisfied about the details concerning air ops. In spite of the politics of the time, I've great admiration for the individuals who had to carry out the flawed plans of their superiors.

Steve.

• Like 1

I'm posting here rather more often than I should...

IMG-8168.jpg
I have a Frog Squad II GB project to build a Tempest Mk I and it needs a yellow "(P)" so I went to big H and got some at a nice price, free postage.

But it was below the minimum order threshold. I mean, what's a boy to do?

So I've added to my Italian fighter collection, this kit having a spare cowling and additional decal options to beef up my old Airfix G50 with its weedy cowling and 1960s decals.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

On 16/04/2024 at 22:19, LorenSharp said:

Lucked out and found an AMK

What is it with those initials? I've just bought a kit from AMI, and there's Arsenal Model Group (AMG) just around the corner. Jeez, other letters are available... :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6

Cuz if it starts with an "A" It will be the first name you see in the phone book( I know I just dated myself),unless of course you're named Aardvark For the children reading this, a phone book was what you used when you wanted to look up a telephone number A lot easier than ringing up the operator and asking for directory assistance. THINK manually operated Google. At you finger tips no less. What's that you say... What's an Operator and what's Directory assistance? What do I look like your Grandfather?(don't answer that) Giddottahere ya brats!

• Haha 12

Here are my birthday presents from my wife.

The book about the Starfighter, I audibly wished for it but when offering the kit she said "You should try to build something else than airplanes".

What woman wants, God wants😁and she made a really nice choice, didn't she?

So I hope to have a start at it ASAP but will need advice aplenty as I never ever built a car. I'll do my best to be not too much of a nuisance to my fellow BMers 😇.

spacer.png

A nice weekend to all of you.

Pat.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

From Bookworld Retail

Modellers Airguide 13 - McDonnell F-101 Voodoo book , by Andy Evans , latest release by Phoenix Publishing , like many of the series few if any image captions , oddly it includes a 1/48 Monogram RF-101B model build with spurious ‘AH’ Tailcodes (carried by RF-101C in Vietnam but by the time the recce ‘B’ entered service were being worn by AC-130 Hercules) and has a nicely rendered but irrelevant opened up panel for the fighter variant nose avionics package which on the real thing seems to have been removed to make way for cameras.

Modellers Airguide 10 - Grumman F9 Panther and Cougar book , by Andy Evans , 2023 release by Phoenix Publishing , most images captioned , 1/48 Panther and Cougar model builds , colour sideview profiles.

From Phoenix Publishing

Republic F-105 Thunderchief – Real To Replica Red Series No.4 book , by Andy Evans , latest release in the series with well illustrated and captioned history , colour profiles , model builds in various scales of D , F and G variants.

US Navy Fighter and Attack Aircraft – Aviation In Scale # 1 and US Air Force Fighter and Attack Aircraft – Aviation In Scale # 2 books , both edited by Andy Evans , recent releases as No.1 and No.2 in a new series , does not specifically identify them as such but both seem to be collections of twenty USN (and USMC) and nineteen USAF (and USAAF) build articles respectively in ninety-six pages taken from past articles in Phoenix Aviation Modelling magazine - much easier to access than digging through boxes of old copies.

From Key Publishing

Aviation Archive Issue 73 – Luftwaffe Fighters 1935 – 1945 bookazine , latest subscription copy , usual format with a mix of contemporary images along with 6 cutaways and 8 specially commissioned colour sideview profiles covering twenty-four different types , next issue will cover British Ground Attack Aircraft Since 1945.

From Pbshop via eBay

Had a break for a while from expanding my Schiffer library but buying ‘Tail Code’ a week or two back put me in the mood again for their often weighty tomes leading this week to three bought as new covering mainly US Phantoms.

Gray Ghosts : U.S. Navy and Marine Corps F-4 Phantoms book , by Peter E. Davies , published 2000 by Schiffer with 192 pages containing 450 colour and B & W images although often some are quite small.

Phantom In Combat book , by Walter J. Boyne , published 1997 by Schiffer also with 192 pages along with 270 black and white images and 40 image colour section , emphasis is on US service in Vietnam with but single chapters covering Middle East operations and another on overseas users.

From Speedyhen Books

And to complete the trinity.

F-4 Phantom IIs of the USAF Reserve and Air National Guard book , by Don Logan , published 2002 by Schiffer with 304 pages containing 700+ colour and b & w images (mainly full width three to a page) and 100+ unit patches.      Cover blurb from 2002 describes this as the first of a multi-volume Phantom series from the author but as far as I am aware none have followed yet although I can only imagine the size (and cost) of any similar work on main force users.

• Like 4

I was out wasting spending some money today. I bought a can of Vallejo Black spray primer, a package of micro brushes, a 1/87 scale Chevy pickup with camper, a 1/87 scale Walthers Central Gas and Supply kit, a package of #11 hobby knife blades (can never have too many of those!), and a Moebius 1/25 scale 1970 Ford F-100 4x4 pickup (to go with the '68 F250, the '69 F100, and the 2 '71 Ranger XLT's already in the stash). I just need to get the '67 and the '72 and I'll have all of the bumpside years. They are called bumpside's due to the convex protrusion down the belt-line of the truck.

100_0183

I bought the spray primer to make priming small jobs easier and quicker, such as the props for my B25. Didn't feel like dealing with the airbrush just for those. The primer laid down nice and smooth. Sorry for the slightly out of focus pic. 😳

100_0184

The building/painting stand I ordered from Skookum RC via eBay arrived, also,

100_0185

It went together without any issues. Here is the Mitchell sitting on the stand.

100_0187

100_0186

I think it's going to get messy during painting! Oh, well.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, PattheCat said:

advice aplenty

You will have to use that funny paint with the red top for more than just putting two or three dots in the cockpit and a dot on the port wingtip!

Weird, eh?

Adrian :)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

You will have to use that funny paint with the red top for more than just putting two or three dots in the cockpit and a dot on the port wingtip!

Weird, eh?

Adrian :)

I already found some reference material about that weird colour that has funny effects

• Haha 3

From the museum shop at Cosford, a book - Beyond the Spitfire : The Unseen Designs of RJ Mitchell.

Early days yet, but it's interesting so far.

• Like 3

After a frustrating time endlessly spraying my Neptune with an airbrush with a small sized nozzle (Oh Er, Missus), I bought this Lieberwell airbrush kit with an Amazon voucher. It has a 0.5mm needle and nozzle, amongst other things. I choose it on the not very scientific basis that it had a high good to poor review ratio and most of the poor ones were about the poor instructions (agreed, if you are a total newbie), and bizarrely about the number of items in the box. I don't think it will be used a lot, thus buying a cheap one, and all the bits like the cleaning kit and hose etc. will be handy.  I was surprised by how well-made it appears to be, with the trigger action being fairly smooth. It comes with a complete set of O rings, and have downloaded the picture off the website that identifies what goes where, the instructions are less than helpful in this respect.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41796&authk

I ran some water through it, and no spluttering etc. The action is not as smooth as my Iwata Neo, but that is only to be expected. A test with some thinned Vallejo Black Grey, showed that it least it works OK.

embed?resid=2A6BA3C6BF8C0827!41798&authk

The picture overemphasises the graininess of the finish. In real life it looks smoother, and the thinning etc, might not have been perfect.

• Like 5