What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

I’ve had all my modelling tools distributed between a few different plastic boxes for about a year, so I’ve been on the lookout for a toolbox.

I was at the local hardware store as I’m doing a minor refresh around the house, and saw this beauty standing in a sea of grey and yellow plastic. Should store everything in one place, apart from my compressor. It’s going under the tree for now though..

53376225004_9f0b3a684f_b.jpg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Karearea said:

I’ve had all my modelling tools distributed between a few different plastic boxes for about a year, so I’ve been on the lookout for a toolbox.

I was at the local hardware store as I’m doing a minor refresh around the house, and saw this beauty standing in a sea of grey and yellow plastic. Should store everything in one place, apart from my compressor. It’s going under the tree for now though..

53376225004_9f0b3a684f_b.jpg

Brilliant! Tackle boxes are great for modellers too. I love the colour.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These arrived today, courtesy of Microworldtg . Three 1/48th scale gun barrels. And they are;

M51 Sherman 105mm barrel.

LHHyAcJ.jpg

And these two;

On the left is the M68 suitable for the M60 Patton and Tiran 4 (late) and Tiran 5, and on the right, the French CN75-50 suitable for an AMX 13 or an M50 Sherman.

Wqu2cEl.jpg

All three gun barrels appear to be excellent The M51's is aluminium and the other two appear to be brass. Where appropriate, the muzzle brakes are moulded in resin. As far as I'm aware, no one else does these barrels in 1/48th scale. I'm really pleased with these as it mean that the M51 that I started back when Pontius was a pilot, can at last be finished.. Happy bunny.

John.

PS. Many thanks to @sardaukar for putting me onto these in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Further instalments in the 33 1/3 series of monographs on individual albums;

SAM_3679

with relevant CD. The Little Richard CD is actually 4 albums on a 2 CD pack for I think £3.99 in HMV. Here's little Richard is his first album, featuring Tutti Fruiti, Long Tall Sally and Rip it up.

Then there's these, from the 33 1/3 series of books on Pacific Ocean bands, called 33 1/3 Oceania;

SAM_3680

I've known there are several other 33 1/3 series outside the main one (which I  have all 179 books in) but these are the first I have bought; these "sub series", if you like, are 33 1/3 Brazil, Japan, Europe and Oceania. I'm waiting for the John Farnham album to arrive, but you know, I just had to have the Kylie book and CD!

Edited by Whofan
Spelling.
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

Further instalments in the 33 1/3 series of monographs on individual albums;

SAM_3679

with relevant CD. The Little Richard CD is actually 4 albums on a 2 CD pack for I think £3.99 in HMV. Here's little Richard is his first album, featuring Tutti Fruiti, Long Tall Sally and Rip it up.

Then there's these, from the 33 1/3 series of books on Pacific Ocean bands, called 33 1/3 Oceania;

SAM_3680

I've known there are several other 33 1/3 series outside the main one (which I  have all 179 books in) but these are the first I have bought; theese "sub series", if you like, are 33 1/3 Brazil, Japan, Europe and Oceania. I'm waiting for the John Farnham album to arrive, but you know, I just had to have the Kylie book and CD!

Ingénue is one of my favourite albums from the early 1990s.

I managed to snaffle both Revell Humvee double kits second hand, unopened, and for no more than I paid for them back in the noughties (as in 10 Euro per box):

103357-11185-pristine.jpg

111361-11185-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

In the last week of the Special Hobby 4 week sale, thinking I was getting away Scot free this time around, a Saab Viggen, at half price I bit without too much thinking about it. Also from Sprue Bros in the States,  Hasegawa IDS Tornado, one of the options is a Marineflieger Norm 87E scheme (I think), which was probably where the trial scheme on my Italeri kit was heading. It might seem a bit weird me shopping at SBs but their postage is the best out of the States I've found & these kits are either unobtainium or unaffordium now.

Steve.

• Like 4

Since posting the above, a flurry of activity at the front door saw a parcel from MJW models in the UK with  Xtrakits Spitfire XII & Canberra PR.9 in it. I like the look of the XII on the sprues, proof of the pudding though eh? Also some DK decals Malta Spitfire Aces from Roy at Southern Sky models in Perth. These made it in the door in stealth mode, not so fortunate but much smaller was a 1/43 Aston Martin DB4 from our local auction site, an Atlas Editions model which looked rather nicer than I had anticipated from the photos.

Steve.

• Like 4

I unashamedly admit to being hoodwinkled and strongarmed into buying this lot.

Except the Gannet, all were at 50% discount on the Airfix website.  It werent fair, m'lud!  Half price Sabre & M36... and the BBMF too.

embed?resid=3BF77D171B0E492C!906720&auth

I do have a serious question with regard to the Gannet though.

There seem to be two missing kits in the batch: 
embed?resid=3BF77D171B0E492C!906721&auth

Any nerd worth his nerd-card immediately sees the discrepancy!  This does not make mathematical sense! (322) x 8 = 8192!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Some newly released books and the enforced opportunity to sit and read them

From Amazon

The F-100 Units of USAFE book , by Doug Gordon , pre-ordered new release from Fonthill Media , following on from last year’s USAFE Tactical Units in the United Kingdom in the Cold War release the author this time narrows the focus to one type expanded across US service in Europe including a look at French/Danish/Turkish use with 275 images of which 150 are in colour in 256 pages , wonder if he is planning to do the same with some of the other types covered in the earlier book.

From the Aviation & Military Bookshop

Latest two new releases in the ‘Duke Hawkins’ series from HMH Publications which arrived in the UK at the end of last week.

Aircraft In Detail 30 – Fairchild A-10A/C Thunderbolt II (Flying With The United States Air Force book.

Aircraft In Detail 31 - Saab 35 Draken (Flying With European Air Forces) book , although while there are some images of operational aircraft many are of preserved airframes and as regards operator coverage Finnish use is limited to one example in open-air museum storage.

178 and 144 pages respectively in the usual format with full aircraft and close-up images including weapons and others stores . hopefully another three titles (A-7 , Hawk and Hurricane) by the end of this year/very early next.

From The NHS

A Left Thyroid Lobectomy , went on the waiting list in September expecting operation during early Spring next year but phone call last Tuesday asking if I would accept 0700 Monday led to a bit of a panicked rush last week , but away at crack of dawn Monday and back home lunchtime Tuesday minus one half of my thyroid and looking as if I have had my throat cut during a drunken brawl in a dockside Marseilles bordello  , still feeling a bit battered but getting by on Magnum Ice Creams , excellent care from all concerned and already back to a little light painting.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Des said:

Magnum Ice Creams

I'm bound to say this sounds like the best bit by far. Onwards & upwards I hope Des. :)

Yesterday, an envelope from Caracal decals with some F-16D schemes including one in a rather lovely desert style commemorative finish that caught my eye.

Steve.

• Like 3

Was sent to a local toy shop for the kids’ stocking-stuffers, and they had a few Heller kits I hadn’t seen before.

Bought a cheap Mirage F.1 with a slightly guilty conscience. On later checking Scalemates I’ve learnt it was a reissue of the Special Hobby kit I’ve heard good things about. Score!

• Like 4

Hi

Just got an airmodel lodestar conversion vacuform 1:72,  at  $1.99 plus shipping from the US 

not sure of the accuracy of it but it seems the only way i will get a lodestar on my hobby budget

it needs an airfix hudson as a base kit but i have one of these in the stash

the plan for is for rcaf 555, 165 (T) Squadron, Sea Island, BC 1944

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

airmodel lodestar conversion

Hope to see this in the WIP! There’s a civilianised Lodestar over this way at MOTAT if you need ref, I haven’t seen it for a while though.

I’ve just bought a Heller 1:72 M4a2 Sherman Division Leclerc from the same source as the Mirage. I’ve never built a plastic kitset that didn’t represent a flying object before, apart from an aircraft carrier when I was a child. But the cover art won me over, and I love the design of the titles and various insignia on it. Seems fitting for the D Day anniversary next year.

• Like 1

Some more second-hand models ... someone is being forced to clear down their stash, and Yours Truly is getting first refusal on each batch.

951120-11363-76-pristine.jpg

This is originally by Omega-K, another Ukrainian company.

108206-80245-24-pristine.jpg

Vinyl tracks ... how quaint.

102209-11067-pristine.jpg

Can't resist a classic I built 40 years ago. This was not even opened.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, klr said:

108206-80245-24-pristine.jpg

Vinyl tracks ... how quaint.

I'm not up to speed at all on these weird tanks, and it's easier to ask an expert here than look it up, but is this a Russian tank?

24 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I'm not up to speed at all on these weird tanks, and it's easier to ask an expert here than look it up, but is this a Russian tank?

Yes, sort of. It's a flame-thrower variant of the Soviet T-26, which was in turn based on the British Vickers 6-ton tank (Vickers Mark E). The Polish 7TP was also developed from the Vickers tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-ton

8 minutes ago, klr said:

Yes, sort of. It's a flame-thrower variant of the Soviet T-26, which was in turn based on the British Vickers 6-ton tank (Vickers Mark E). The Polish 7TP was also developed from the Vickers tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-ton

Aaah, right, thanks

As I said, when you need an expert, there's usually one here!!

My main interest is Land Rovers but I wanted something to complement any layout with another type of vehicle.  This FV432 by Takom looks to be an ideal choice.

Note the size of the box compared with the 1:35 scale Land Rovers behind it.  The model will only be about 4cm bigger than a Landy model.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

• Like 9

From Bookworld

The Modellers Guide to Aircraft Finish and Markings : No 3.USMC Harriers - The AV-8A/C, AV-8S and TAV-A/S in World Wide Service 1971 - 2006 (USMC, Armada Española and Royal Thai Navy) book , by Angelo Romano and Michael Grove , recent release by Double Ugly , 108 pages with around 200 images (mainly in colour except for some Harrier Development and early Unit History coverage) by operator/squadron with many variations in marking style and loads carried as well as 2 four-view sets of colour profiles (one view to a page) of USMC Hi and Lo-viz colour schemes.

From Hannants

This years use of the UK Government’s annual £10 Pensioner’s Christmas Bonus Payment (unchanged since 1972) went towards buying -

Model Art 48018 1/48 Westland Sea King HAS.1/2 & HU.5 decal sheet with options for HAS.1 - 706/819/820 & 824 NAS , HAS.2 - 824 NAS , HU.5 -771 NAS plus Gannet SAR Flt. and Anniversary markings , HAS 1 & 2 in dark blue-grey scheme , HU.5 in lighter greys and red scheme.

From Red Dog UK Models

1/35 Military Stowage Masking Nets And Rolls resin accessories , various styles and sizes of rolled/stowed camouflage nets.

From Jadlam Racing

Tamiya 35185 1/35 Pz.IV On-Vehicle Equipment Set kit , single sprue accessory set with externally carried tools etc. from their Pz.IV kit.

From Betty’s of Harrogate

A belated anniversary present with Fat Rascals (huge fruit scones with a Yorkshire accent) , Chocolate , Marzipan Fruits , Christmas Cake and Florentines.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Tamiya 1/48 F-35B

Added to the ‘A’ I accidentally picked up last year. 

If I ever get round to it, it’ll sit next to GR.9, FA.2, FRS.1, FG.1 and Buccaneer to make up a Fleet Air Arm set.

809 Sqn FAA, 2/3 Manned by RAF, just saying...............