What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

8 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

You realize that you will find the other one in less than a week, don't you? That's how it always happens with me. Buy the replacement, find the original. 🙁

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I have probably stashed it somewhere 'safe' as I knew I wanted it for the GB. If it turns up I can  build the stashed one and sell on the one I have just bought. 

Latest order from Jadlam.

DSCN4984

One problem though, they sent a 2/0 instead of the 20/0 I ordered.

But the cutters replace the ones I have been using for years now and my lst pot of "Clear Blue" turned to gloop.

Simon.

• Like 5

From Wells Prop Models

Three sets of 3D Printed WP48007 1/48 Harrier Intakes For Kinetic Kits

From Amazon

V-Bombers: Britain's Nuclear Frontline in the Cold War book , by Dr. Tony Redding , published 2024 by Grub Street , very interesting illustrated background to the V Force in the strategic role especially the sobering conclusion reached with the help of many crew as to how few would get clear of their home airfields far less reach their targets in the case of the minimum ‘three minute warning’.

Pairs of PS-BLM1 and BLS-1 Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers for my two different models of Olympus DSLR on which some of the older batteries are failing.

From WH Smith

Sprue of Warlord Games 28mm 7530000006 ‘Modern Special Ops' weapons and figures ‘free’ with the April issue of Wargames Illustrated Magazine , magazine cover price cheaper than sprue RRP , equivalent to 1/56 scale but weapons might come in useful for set dressing 1/48 projects.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

Oooh, what did you get? (I find that the best way to buy otherwise hideously expensive kit is to buy it second hand - because of the high initial purchase price, most people tend to baby the things, and you can get a really good deal with a bit of careful shopping.)

That's pretty much what I did. Lots of research first into the best lens for my needs then more research into good second hand buys. The lens I bought is in excellent condition and works perfectly. Its a Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM for which I'll soon be adding a 2 x Extender to take it up to 800mm (as the cost of a few F stops). Even though it was second hand still eye wateringly expensive. Especially when you hear comments about the cost of model kits these days, which pales in comparison 😬

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

my lst pot of "Clear Blue" turned to gloop.

Simon.

Do you know that you can buy a 250ml bottle of Replenishing Agent for Mr Color that would restore your gloop to fully usable Mr Color paint? Might be a bit of overkill at £8.60 to fix one paint pot but if you have a stash of Mr Color paints I can recommend buying a bottle as the Mr Color do have a habit of gassing off and the bottle will restore even the most gloopy pots. Only adding Thinner doesn't work so well.

I always have a bottle on hand to use on my own personal Mr Color paint stash but I also check every pot of new paint I sell to make sure they don't need a top up. The green colours seem to be the most prone to going a bit gloopy if they have sat for a while.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Do you know that you can buy a 250ml bottle of Replenishing Agent for Mr Color that would restore your gloop to fully usable Mr Color paint? Might be a bit of overkill at £8.60 to fix one paint pot but if you have a stash of Mr Color paints I can recommend buying a bottle as the Mr Color do have a habit of gassing off and the bottle will restore even the most gloopy pots. Only adding Thinner doesn't work so well.

I always have a bottle on hand to use on my own personal Mr Color paint stash but I also check every pot of new paint I sell to make sure they don't need a top up. The green colours seem to be the most prone to going a bit gloopy if they have sat for a while.

Duncan B

Cheers for that Duncan, but my last pot of clear blue was Tamiya...

Simon.

• Like 1

The new Caracal Decals "Test & Drone Zippers" for F-104s in 1/48th.

And, courtesy of a "Welcome Deal' on Aliexpress, a DSPIAE super fine single blade nipper. It's genuine, but because of the deal cost me only around $11 with free shipping.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 12:43 AM, Billy54 said:

The FedEx man left these for me today. 

spacer.png  

Those Finemold kits are brilliant.

Duncan B

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Those Finemold kits are brilliant.

Duncan B

Yes they are. and they go together quite well. I've built two of their Phantoms and am in the process of building/painting two of their F-15DJs in the aggressor schemes.

As I mentioned in my note on the Hinkley show, no modelling purchases today save some roket super glue and a bit of filler and some metal polishing wax.

But I did have a bit of a splurge on Friday in Birmingham, helping to keep Waterstones and HMV in business.

Firstly, these;

SAM_3866

I'm astonished that I missed the latest Rivers of London book last year, but now I have it.

As for the Seldon account of Johnson's time at no. 10, it doesn't matter what you think of him, (and the author most definitely says what he does in the preface !) his premiership was marked by a massive disaster in Covid, following on from Brexit. 

It promises to be one hell of a read.

And then from HMV;

SAM_3868

From the rear, Big Big Train's latest, The likes of us, typical of their prog rock style, and next to it Pineapple Thief's It leads to this, more prog rock.

Then there's Sandanista! from the clash, a book bought to go with a book in the 33 1/3 series, next to it another Big Big Train prog opus, Ingenious Devices, and finall something to clear the cobwebs from your ears - yes, the human foghorn himself, Bruce Dickinson's latest solo effort.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2

Haven’t got myself any 1/200 snap fits for a while and been browsing them this weekend, some of the ones I wanted had sold out so had a decision, in the end decided to get one savwd in my eBay basket before someone else gets it, a premier planes BA 757

• Like 3

From EBay, Fine Moulds F-14A Tomcat in the IRIAF boxing.   Certainly looks a cracking kit in the box, hope I can do it justice!

sX3faep.jpg

• Like 5

This arrived today, courtesy of Jadar Hobbies.

srU7jaO.jpg

Now all that I have to do is resist the temptation to start it before I've finished my current build.

John. 

• Like 10

Hinckley show was kind for me, I bought the grand total of two items. First is #141 Warpaint Viking, Valetta and Varsity. It has given me a few new ideas for future builds;

53643302449_0d91c681f5_b.jpg

Next up was this beauty and one I did not expect to find simply because I did not realise it was out there , Micro Mir John Cobs Crusader K6 ;

53642073747_d1abfa3cfa_b.jpg

I wish more manufacturers would produce kits like this.

Last up a pre Hinckley purchase, Dspiae electric mini sander, should come in handy with my scratch building;

53643412530_64c79a7a54_b.jpg

Until the next show...🤑

• Like 3

My latest purchase is the 1 / 700 HMS Renown 3D printed reversion of the wheel model (1 / 700 Renown with a trumpet player). I think this 3D printing kit is very well made for 500 CNY around £55

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

A small delivery from Scale Model Shop .... 

Replacement airbrush needles and nozzles, paint, part clips and a Spitfire .... 

20240410_075210

I've not built an ICM kit yet, but it was cheap!  

Keith 😁 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

One of these, for a princely 4 quid.. 

I have a couple more if you want them.

In other news…

Freshly minted repop

I already have one on the shelf, recently refurbished. I had said I’d like another bash at the build if I came across a kit, so when Airfix announced the reissue I sort of accidentally on purpose preordered one. Thing is, I don’t need another MkV for the 1940 collection. However, Flightpath, care of Mr David J Parkins, makes a conversion kit that will give me a Tiger radial engined MkII or MkIII, both of which were still lumbering around in training roles in my chosen period.

Or I could just build it straight. Decisions, decisions… 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I have a couple more if you want them.

In other news…

Freshly minted repop

I already have one on the shelf, recently refurbished. I had said I’d like another bash at the build if I came across a kit, so when Airfix announced the reissue I sort of accidentally on purpose preordered one. Thing is, I don’t need another MkV for the 1940 collection. However, Flightpath, care of Mr David J Parkins, makes a conversion kit that will give me a Tiger radial engined MkII or MkIII, both of which were still lumbering around in training roles in my chosen period.

Or I could just build it straight. Decisions, decisions… 

If you don't want them I'd happily take them off your hands 😁

Visiting a model shop with stocks of Eduard and Heller kits qualifies as "an occasion of sin". Over the course of two days, I helped myself to this lot:

20240406_131444_dr_025.jpg

• The Nieuport 17 is a double kit, complete with etched parts and five subject options, all for an exceptionally good price.
  • The Fw 190 A-5 includes options for both 2- and 4- cannon wings, which has been done by providing two full airframes (alas, not including the engine face or standard propeller). I can't think of a way to make up another kit from this largesse though.
  • The Noratlas is another double kit, again for a price so good I just couldn't resist. I have one in the stash for over 30 years, but could never make up my mind between the various camouflage options.
  • The Canadiar CL-215 I first bought the same time as my first Noratlas, but the minimalist decal sheet put me off, as well as painting yellow on yellow plastic. This rebox fixes that. The kit is now molded in grey plastic, and sports an enormous decal sheet (see below), which includes an option for a white and green aircraft based in Saskatchewan. So now I know what subject the yellow plastic will be used for.

20240406_131703_dr_025.jpg

I foresee either the Noratlas or CL-215 being included in the Heller GB next year. Maybe even both, who knows? The Super Etendard might also be in the mix. I never bought this kit back in the day, preferring the Italeri/Academy kit instead.

The consequence of this madness was a further clear-out of the stash, but that's another story.

• Like 6

On 4/9/2024 at 3:07 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Last up a pre Hinckley purchase, Dspiae electric mini sander, should come in handy with my scratch building;

53643412530_64c79a7a54_b.jpg

:frantic: Wants! 

Could we please see it in action? How much did you pay for it? Very nice tool. Does it bring the different grades/shapes of sanding paper or you could adapt your own as you wish? Much needed tool that is.

Cheers,

Igna

10 hours ago, klr said:

The Noratlas is another double kit, again for a price so good I just couldn't resist

I found one of those for 30% off a few months back and couldn’t resist it either. Only I’d promised I wouldn’t buy any more large kits for a while, and hadn’t realised how difficult the box would be to conceal… it’s at the back of the garden shed right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3