What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

A PDF download and some pint books.

From Amazon

C-130 Exports Illustrated book , by Lou Drendel , latest release in his Aviation Art Inc. published by Amazon , usual format with author’s own artwork as well as 200+ colour images and Tech. Manual excerpts , expands on a previous volume in the series covering the many military and civil export users.

Aero Research

Aero Research No.1121 – US Navy A-7 Corsair II Part 7 PDF Download , latest addition to the series with 150 high-resolution images from early high-viz to later low-viz colour schemes.

From Airfix

Airfix Club Magazine Issue 10 – D-Day 80th. Anniversary magazine , print copy released this week.

From Postscript Books

Much reduced new books with cover price of £66 for £30 including shipping from their current catalogue.

Airline Tail Colours book , by Gerry Manning , published 2019 by Crécy , entirely photographic content with airliner tail schemes.

The Typhoon Story book , by Tim McLelland , published 2013 by The History Press , illustrated history of the Eurofighter project to that point.

Lost Airline Colours Of Europe book , by Matt Falcus , published 2016 by Destinworld , carriers and colours lost between the 1970s-90s,

Military Aircraft Insignia Of The World book , by John Cochrane and Stuart Elliott , published 2014 by Crécy , mainly in colour with illustrations of national markings development and sample aircraft by country.

Cars A Complete History – A Model Making and Collector’s Book In One book , published 2014 by Thunder Bay Press , 50 press-out and fold car models – with a mind to a simple distraction from actual plastic modelling.

• Like 3

My next door neighbours run a Florists shop. I asked for some Florists wire and was given a bunch of it in various lengths.

It's great stuff for detail work on models. Bends and cuts easily. If you have a local Florist shop it's worth offering to buy some.

• Like 4

On 3/23/2024 at 8:35 AM, Des said:

From Wells Prop Models

WP48009 1/48 Harrier Intake Fan For Kinetic Kits , 3D printed , last in stock so hopefully more (and the revised intakes) will be printed in the future.

˄˄˄ This!

When I bought my Kinetic SHar kit, I thought that awful fan was going to be concealed inside the intakes - never liked my jets with FOD covers. Then I bought the Kinetic GR.3 kit and somehow realised that the fan was even more awful than before. :hmmm:

Thankfully Ben came along. His 3D-print intake fans are a must for those having the Kinetic Harrier kits. If you're not going to have FOD covers on the intakes, then the awful fan faces in the Kinetic kits are way too visible inside the intakes. WPM's intake fans are impressive; the detail in his bits would be almost impossible to achieve by using brass or tin in order to scratchbuild them.

Money very well invested.

Cheers,

Igna  

• Thanks 1

A Hasegawa AV-8B harrier II from  Plazajapan.com & a set of Desert storm decals for same from @0viking0 Paulus Victor via ebay. I see a dark & light gray cam'd Marines Harrier in my future. :) 

Steve.

• Like 4

A box arrived in time for the Easter weekend - I'd used the gift vouchers my daughters gave me for Christmas (plus a little bit more of course).

First a 1:72 Bf110C/D from Eduard - which comes complete with some resin bits, canopy masks and p.e.

X26J9wHl.jpg

And.

A 1:72 Short Stirling Mk. III from Italeri. I also got p.e and canopy masks from Eduard plus some lovely brass Browning .303 barrels from MiniWorld (new for me - from Ukraine)

5SaL3kOl.jpg

Rather crazily, I continue to buy slightly more than I build. These two were definite gaps in the stash though - so I'm very content.

all the best

Mark

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Rather crazily, I continue to buy slightly more than I build.

Nothing crazy there, thats called stash-build-up-itis. It’s a disease we all suffer from in some form or another. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nothing crazy there, thats called stash-build-up-itis. It’s a disease we all suffer from in some form or another. 

So so true.

Simon.

• Like 2

Tamiya 1:700 DD Fletcher class it comes with decals for 445 & 446. Id like to do the USS the Sullivans. So will need to do some research on camouflage and other minor differences. I also bought my standard white & paint standing order. 

*️⃣anyone make decals for 1:700 ships ? *️⃣

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

A 1/48 Hobbyboss Me 262 A-1B just arrived from a local supplier, along with some mini drill bits to improve exhaust pipes (the solid Shackleton parts are beginning to eat away at me), and some better brushes for detailing from SMS.

The Me 262 looks really nice, still can’t believe these are only 2/3 the price of the 1/72 Airfix kit. Accuracy looks good to my untrained eyes at least, and the lesser variants are appealing- especially the BMW-engined type which is the best looking of the bunch in my opinion.

• Like 1

A 1/48 Tamiya F-35A with Ronin RAAF Decals for 3 Squadron, Eduard SpAce cockpit decals and new to me KASL Mk16 ejection seat. The resin seat is a little beauty. Just waiting on some SMS Have Glass and Haze Grey paints.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tamiya 1:700 DD Fletcher class it comes with decals for 445 & 446. Id like to do the USS the Sullivans. So will need to do some research on camouflage and other minor differences. I also bought my standard white & paint standing order. 

They're out there - I'm pretty sure Starling stock them, but closed for Easter hols at the moment.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to be "that guy"(:nerd:) but the Fletcher was a "Round Bridge" unit whilst the Sullivans was a "Square Bridge" one, so it would be the USS Cushing boxing you'd need.

Navsource is a great site for anything US Navy related with a massive selection of photographs. ModelWarships.com also has a 105 page megathread on the class with loads of excellent photos too.

Mike.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unusually for us, we have had a bit of a splurge the last week or so. So:

3D printed seats etc, and an undercarriage for the 1/72nd scale Airfix Javelin and some Canberra intake bullets and compressor faces from TeeEll of this parish. He also added a Fraser-Nash turret for the Demon. They are all exquisite and were well-packed. 

Some UV cured resin and UV torch for a couple of projects. Had a go with it at quite impressed with the results. 

A new Microwave oven to replace our old El cheapo one that died this morning. We had a £50 Argos voucher that took most of the sting out of it. 

A new trailcam, our original one, has been acting erratically for a while and Mrs T is a participant in a major study by Reading University into urban hedgehogs. Bought this before the microwave packed up. 

Finally, while doing the shopping in Sainsbury's, a new Key Publishing bookazine on the Canberra fell into our trolley. Normally I don't bother with these, but it has some good detail stuff. Also, the newest AMP B.2 is the next kit to do. 

• Like 5

Took delivery of a bulk order of Revell cement this morning and nearly got a clip on bike bag/water proof phone holder from Asda today as my non WP one is looking like its on its way out before realising it’s wasn’t suitable as I mount my phone to the handlebars not the mainframe so I ordered one when I got home from Amazon edit: some royal langnickel Matt black also from Amazon, as the price had gone back down again, lose a bit transferring it into more manageable pots but with a little tap water it’s a very cost effective option for MB

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

On 01/04/2024 at 13:54, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I've only returned to the hobby within the last few months and I've already contracted this disease!  27 kits in the stash with 3 complete, 3 aircraft waiting to be primed and started on the D-Day overlord diarama.  

I'm ill, so very ill

In the *last* week I got 6 Airfix kits from Hobbycraft with their 25% sale, The D-Day overlord set from Airfix with their Spring Sale (plus hornby points) and a 1/48 Buccaneer from these forums.  Oh and an airbrush

If my wife ever finds my spreadsheet with my stash details, I'm a dead man!

Edited by Captain Glumbo
  • Like 5

Local shop has a large selection of Airfix kits on 40% off- I’ve noticed a few sales around so I wonder if a new shipment is imminent from the local supplier.

I’ve mainly resisted temptation and only bought a 1/48 Defiant which I’ll do as the night fighter option. Local IPMS has a Black/White group build going, and the Defiant is more likely to be finished in time than the Valiant I’d been thinking about! Lots of scope for interesting weathering too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Karearea said:

Local shop has a large selection of Airfix kits on 40% off

Yikes, that's good.  I looked today on my local Leeds shop and I didn't see anything.  I know there are a few new kits coming because when I was grabbing the box images for my current stash a few were not picking up in the Airfix search (though it is a bit naff to be fair).  e.g. picked up the tiger moth from Hobbycraft and its been replaced with an A variant available from Autumn

• Like 1

A delivery this week from my mate currently out here from the UK but purchased here in NZ, as he was touring around, he stopped into the Ashburton Aircraft Museum, a very highly recommended establishment, who had a selection of kits, possibly donated from an estate or similar. He whatsapped me some photos & I put my hand up for a Eastern Express HP Dart herald with BIA decals & a Revell Tu-95, both 1/144. Having now seen them, I'm rapt with them, both kits for NZ$50.00.

Steve.

• Like 6

A couple of cheap Starjets 1/200,both have yellowed parts (but it's nice to see the Continental globe and it spelt the right way)...

Continental 757,

Lufthansa A320.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2024 at 10:29 PM, Nocoolname said:

A hideously expensive telephoto zoom lens for wildlife photography. 

No model making treats for me for a while. 

Oooh, what did you get? (I find that the best way to buy otherwise hideously expensive kit is to buy it second hand - because of the high initial purchase price, most people tend to baby the things, and you can get a really good deal with a bit of careful shopping.)

A box was left outside the back door while we out for a celebration lunch. It contained an Academy 1/72nd scale A37 Dragonfly. I am sure I have the kit, but couldn't find it in the stash. I already have the SBS upgrade kit and some old Microscale decals for a Salvadorean aircraft. It is for a GB. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

A box was left outside the back door while we out for a celebration lunch. It contained an Academy 1/72nd scale A37 Dragonfly. I am sure I have the kit, but couldn't find it in the stash. I already have the SBS upgrade kit and some old Microscale decals for a Salvadorean aircraft. It is for a GB. 

You realize that you will find the other one in less than a week, don't you? That's how it always happens with me. Buy the replacement, find the original. 🙁

• Like 1