What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

I found myself on eBay being both relieved and disgruntled at losing a bid for a FROG He 219 at twenty quid. So I compensated by buy-it-now-ing a Dragon one on offer for less than two quid more:

IMG-8007.jpg

Reckon I saved myself a week of painful remedial modelling time there. I am slo-o-owly learning that it sometimes doesn't make sense to buy an old kit that needs work when there's a newer better one for pretty much the same price.

And I added an Xtradecals set from the same vendor (no extra postage) so I can do my Sword F1A as a 111 Squadron Lightning, like the old Airfix kit. If time allows, that should happen in Baby Boomers GB!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 12

An Airfix Bloodhound kit from my favourite NZ outlet Minikiwiland, along with a few paint bottles to defray postage & just ordered Last Stand in Singapore by Graham Clayton mentioned a couple of pages back, from the RNZAF Museum shop, a really good price, just hope it isn't one of those too good to be true things, though I've bought from them before with total satisfaction.

Book turned up two days later, quite hefty & really nicely produced photos, looking forward to getting into it soon.

Steve.

• Like 8

From Bookworld Wholesale

Modellers Airguide 12 – Convair F-106 Delta Dart , by Andy Evans , latest release by Phoenix Publications , usual format with illustrated history , walkround images , coloured sideview artwork and a model build.

From Wells Prop Models

WP48009 1/48 Harrier Intake Fan For Kinetic Kits , 3D printed , last in stock so hopefully more (and the revised intakes) will be printed in the future.

Fairey Gannet COD.4 Baggage Pods And Pylons – 3D Printed

From Amazon

Tail Code USAF: The Complete History of USAF Tactical Aircraft Tail Code Markings , by Patrick Martin , published 1997 by Schiffer , been meaning to buy this for a while but had always been put on back burner in favour of something shiny , well illustrated and covers up to that time before the world went completely grey , around the same time the author privately published a similar ‘Hook Code’ volume on the USN/USMC which unfortunately is now as rare as hen’s teeth.

• Like 2

Crikey Peter! Time to clear that three foot long space in your display cabinet.

I'm guessing you might need a resident's permit for the Science Fiction WIP area for a week or two, or three...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have an Eduard EX119 mask set for the Revell 1/48 B25J I'm (slowly) working on for the WWII Twins group build. I bought a second kit to build a What If B25J night fighter. I went back to the vendor I bought the mask set from. Sold Out. I tried to find another one from my usual sources. Nada. Tried to find one from anyone in the US. Nope. Tried FleaBay, and I could get one from Britain, Australia, or Germany. I have one coming from Britain. $13 and change shipped. A bit pricey, but ya do what ya gots to!

s-l960.jpg

And now this vendor is sold out. I had no idea these were so popular!

• Like 3

I've somehow ended up with a lot of bits and pieces to make some silicone molds, and even more inexplicably seem to be halfway through making my own mini spray booth out of an old cardboard box (onerous task of drinking 12 bottles of wine to make that happen), some floor boards, LED strip light, and an 8" fan that escaped from The Bay....

• Like 2

Oh, and some Genie missiles, and some rocket pods for a lightning build, and an old Airfix lightning f3 for the small belly tank. Er, and a yf-22 kit and decals. And maybe an Airwaves etch kit. Umm, plus some paint. And some very nice Gentlemen on here supplied the donor landing gear for the Avro 730 I'll be making.... I think that's it.... Maybe

• Like 3

Mojo at pretty much an all time low aside from getting my Dakota over the line but Amazon doing the airfix valiant at 41 quid when I have a sizeable voucher balance after a late night bevy or two was too tempting 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Trumpy 1/72 Tu-128M Fiddler.  The box-side notes on the aircraft are hilarious!

After finding B-52, four AA-4 missiles are fully emitted from 50 kms away, and then immediately fled without bellicose posturing.

It’s poetry!

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/23/2024 at 11:38 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Mojo at pretty much an all time low aside from getting my Dakota over the line but Amazon doing the airfix valiant at 41 quid when I have a sizeable voucher balance after a late night bevy or two was too tempting 

There needs to be a sub-forum: 'What's your latest purchase after a late night bevvy or two'. Bet it doesn't include any sensible but boring paint, glues or masking tape. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Indeed, anyway a sober purchase today, decided to get myself something from my local for quick out of the box/spares box only build, only other rule was it couldn't be something elligble for current GB....of course it ended up being between 2 both of which are subjects suitable for the upcoming NATO GB.....in the end got myself an Italeri Jaguar which will be done in a gulf war 1 scheme outside the scope of the NATO GB so got away with it  edit: and in predictable news I realised I’d forgotten I’ve another Gb entry I must start instead so that was a waste of time 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Added a couple books to my collection recently.   The Pioneer Mustang Group was larger than I realized as it’s nearly twice as thick as all my other Schiffer books, but is a good read so far.  I haven’t really read much on the 9th Air Force before, so it’s quite interesting.  And then Badger Aces, which is only available locally, has been fascinating and super helpful in my quest to learn more about the pilots from my home state.  Although Wisconsin pilots account for only 3% of all US aces, they hold claim to the highest scoring in Richard Bong and the most recent and last active one in Jeffrey Feinstein.  And I’ve been pleasantly surprised that I’ve been able to obtain decal markings for a decent number of pilots profiled in the book.

spacer.png  
spacer.png

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 5

I couldn't resist this book after seeing some snippets on Facebook. I've always wanted to tackle an all grey F-14 but been to scared to until now. There are some great ideas in this that are transferable to any build so even if I never tackle the Tomcat it'll still have been worth it.

IMG_1240-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 6

Curtiss The Hammondsport Era, 1907-1915. This book has some good reference material for my Pusher. I might nip down to the model shop and pick up the Eduard Avia B.534 Quattro Combo they had in stock.

I also have an itch for a Sopwith Camel to go along with my Dr. I, but I must not get ahead of myself.

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice, haven’t got myself anything 1/200 for ages 

Last 1/200 anything I bought was about 15 years ago (Flight Miniatures Delta MD-11).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice, haven’t got myself anything 1/200 for ages 

They were cheap,no boxes and the stands on the A321 and 767 along with the engines on the Qantas have yellowed...I'd never heard of eos and thought it was maybe a Greek airline then when it arrived i noticed it had an N reg after a quick google it turned out it was a Business Class only airline based in NY that started in 04 and ended in 08...

• Like 1

Bless me father, for I have sinned. In the last few weeks, I went nuts not once, but twice.

The first time I was visiting family, and I didn't expect to find much in the model shop back home. Boy I was wrong, especially as practically the entire Heller catalogue appeared on the shop web site the day before I got there.

20240309_120800_samsung_Galaxy%20A15_dr_

The Do 27 is of course the Special Hobby kit from a few years ago, and includes markings for a camouflaged German aircraft. Ever since I saw the Do 27 in an aviation journal about 40 years ago, I have wanted to build a kit of it. The Ju 52 mold appears to be still in very good condition. The decal sheet in the Eduard Albatros D.V kit is jaw-dropping, especially for a mere "Weekend Edition".  The Seahawk FGA.6 looks to be a very nice kit, and includes markings for a Suez aircraft. I sold a kit of the Heller Hellcat a few years ago, but sort of regretted it, and vowed I'd get another with the new decal sheet some time. The improved decal sheet in the T-28 is really very nice, but of course the USN subject can't be built from this tooling. I left several other kits on the shelf, but I may yet get them in another week or two.

... after that, I vowed to show restraint for a month or so. But I didn't back on a slew of Arma Hobby kits appearing out of the blue. I bought these six over two days.

20240319_150122_samsung_Galaxy%20A15_dr_

I now have 10 of both the Hurricanes (I, IIb and IIc) and Yak-1.

• Like 5