What's your latest purchase?

Keeff

Mainly books this week , some newly released , some older and much reduced , one older and second-hand.

Via Ali Express

1/35 'Die Casting Resin Model Set Kit, Panzer Spahwagen Mecha' resin kit , woodlouse shaped hover-tank (base approx. 5” x 3.5”/12.7cm x 8.9cm at its widest) with a remotely operated gun on top , possibly ‘inspired’ in 1/35 scale by one of several limited-run multimedia kits of the Maschinen Krieger genre OSKAR Panzer Spahwagen genre but typical of Ali unbranded items with no instructions and none of the metal detail parts such as the gun , aerials and piping shown in the sale listing images below but on the other hand far cheaper than the originals if you could ever find them.

p?i=b389353835f43c7fce41c22d57aa7170

From Aero Research

USAF Collection No.17 PDF Download , latest release with 154 High Resolution images.

From Amazon

B-24 Illustrated book , by Lou Drendel , published by Amazon as the latest release in the Aviation Art Inc. series , usual format with a mix of images , author’s own artwork and Technical Manual extracts , also covers the C-87 and the Privateer although post-war coverage on the latter is a bit thin and as regards French use somewhat dismissive.

From Phoenix Publications

The McDonnell Douglas FG.1 , FGR.2 And F-4J(UK) Phantom British Versions book , by Andy Evans , latest release by Phoenix Publications as their Phantom Series Volume 4 / Real to Replica White Series No.5. , usual format - well illustrated along with colour profiles and model builds.

From Postscript Books

Bargain books with a cover price of £45 for £20 and with some other books for different family members in the order qualified for free shipping.

The Privatisation Classes – A Pictorial Survey Of Diesel And Electric Locomotives and Units Since 1994 book , by David Cable , published 2017 by Pen & Sword , not into rail as such but have a few of the author’s books and enjoy his style of photography and the way it captures changes in the post-industrial landscape which today increasingly involves rat's nests of overhead cables.

Planes A Complete History – A Model-Making and Collector’s Book In One book , Brian Bartle ; Neil Capel ; Simon Morse et al , published 2014 by Thunder Bay , thought I might make a very simplified but a bit caricaturish start into paper modelling with a choice of 50 pre-printed press out models to choose from and see if it encourages anything more complicated.

Military & Naval Press

Bargain books with a total cover price of £105 for £35 including shipping

Hunters Over Arabia - Hawker Hunter Operations in the Middle East book , by Ray Deacon , published 2019 by Pen & Sword , 380 heavily illustrated pages , mainly in colour and not confined to Hunters and the cheapest of the lot at £4.99.

Wingleader Magazine Printed Compendium Volume 1 book , published 2019 by Wingleader , printed collection of issues 1 , 2 and 3 of their digital magazine.

Wingleader Magazine Printed Compendium Volume 4 book , published 2019 by Wingleader , printed collection of issues 10 , 11 and 12 of their digital magazine.

British Combat Aircraft In Latin America book , by Santiago Rivas , published 2019 by Hikoki , I have a few of their titles on the shelf but this one is quite literally a heavyweight.

From Cancer Research in Dundee

Britain's Modern Royal Air Force book , by Peter F. Guiver , published 1994 by PSL , second-hand copy for 50p.  , with slight tear to dustcover , well illustrated mainly in black & white and an 18 image colour section , covers aircraft (with three-view plans (1/72 up to Canberra sized , various scales beyond) , vehicles , weapons and organisation , had been awarded as a prize in a Weapons Technician Course at Cosford in 1996 with suitable inscription and a course photograph.

• Like 4

Some good news to counter yesterday wrong paint purchase was just browsing eBay for the grey and found some cheap xtracrylix raf dark green, might not have enough for my Vulcan and was cheaper than Hannants so ordered it straight way and as the seller had two I got that as well

• Like 4

Here are my latest purchases that I received this week.

20240302-131605.jpg
20240302-133103.jpg
20240302-133113.jpg

I'd like to review Trump's Intruder, but it will not be soon. I know about the mistake with the main wheel well and I think there are more mistakes.

• Like 5

1 x modelling purchase, and 1 x non modelling!

Finally getting my hands on one of the excellent Fairy Gannets from Airfix! Have had to wait a while to save a little of that funny stuff called money before I could get one - however, as it has also been double Hornby Hobby points over the last few days on in stock items, I thought now was a good time to buy one. Along with what points I had already, and the 10% club discount, managed to bag one for less than £43!:D

My second purchase is not so much of a bargain! Being a gamer (PC) Good sound is a must, and sadly my current speaker set up is beginning to sound less and less high end, and more and more bargain basement, with lots of popping and crackling coming from the speakers and subwoofers (it's a 5.1 surround system). Just decided to buy a new set of speakers from Overclockers, by a company called Edifier. Not a company I'd heard of, but the speakers themselves seem to have had some really good reviews since they were released, so decided to go with them. Seems to be very few actual 5.1 speaker systems around these days, they are either ultra high end (several hundreds of pounds) or just piddly little desktop speakers £20 or £30 or so. Everyone wants headphones that emulate surround sound! No thanks. I'd rather have proper speakers (besides I find wearing headphones very uncomfortable, and annoying - could be a sensation thing as I'm autistic and don't like certain sensations/touches/smells/tastes etc). Anyway, £160 plus delivery!

• Like 5

Well, after discovering that Jadlam are having a sale, I appear to have ordered one of these .....

1445491-27209-59-360

Saved quite a bit on it ..... and it should be delivered in the next day or so ...... adding another kitty to the litter! 😬

Keith 😁 

• Like 8

Not much happening recently, but I did get a second Roden Junkers D.I, the long fuselage version to go with the short version I got a couple of months ago. The refined corrugated detail on these kits looks very impressive.

132141-11185-41-1080.jpg

• Like 5

I just had to get one of these, especially after seeing what @woody37 has done with his. Now all I have to find are a bunch of 1/72 British nurses.

IMG_9610

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 6

Had an Olimp BAC 221 just handed to me by the Postie. This will compliment the Dora Wings FD2 I recently received. I suspect I'll build both simultaneously. In fact, to get through the stash, I may have to start doing this with a few of the others...... 2x SR P.177, multiple Lightnings..... I think I may be losing track of what I have under the desk....

• Like 1

Well, this arrived today.... 

20240306_211957

The Takom 'Big Box' ..... 3 big boxes in a big box and a huge pile of plastic! 😬

Keith 😁 

• Like 10

A boatload of 20mm metal figures:

A platoon of US paratroopers and some supporting elements from Adler Miniatures, which will no doubt take some time, as they're retiring their napoleonic ranges and are deluged with orders from frantic grognards

and

Fallschirmjager and regular heer infantry from Simon's Soldiers in Australia. Every miniatures company making 20mm figures seems to be run by some genial wargamer in his sixties or seventies who's been playing miniatures games since Edward Heath was a going concern, and all of them are a delight to deal with, but Simon is particularly nice, reaching out to me to help me secure some extra HQ figures, throwing in copious extras, and all in all being extremely enthusiastic and helpful. And anyone who knows me knows how little I merit such consideration.

Also two books of retold Greek mythology by Bernard Evslin for Winston, who is hooked on the wretched Percy Jackson books and might as well get some good versions of the tripe he's ingesting.

• Like 7

On 3/5/2024 at 10:35 PM, MrB17 said:

I just had to get one of these, especially after seeing what @woody37 has done with his. Now all I have to find are a bunch of 1/72 British nurses.

IMG_9610

Cheers

Jeff

Looking forwards to this, especially laden with nurses!

• Like 2

My Jadlam order arrived .... 

20240307_203947

This thing is huge ..... What have I done?! 😳

Keith 😁 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Keeff said:

My Jadlam order arrived .... 

20240307_203947

This thing is huge ..... What have I done?! 😳

Keith 😁 

Just wait until the CinC home front claps her eyes on that !! 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Just wait until the CinC home front claps her eyes on that !! 

She accepted the delivery! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice May I ask what the kit cost ? 

£10  😁

The plan is to get the hang of building a big ship before tackling Tamiya's more recent Prince of Wales and Repulse.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andy H said:

£10  😁

The plan is to get the hang of building a big ship before tackling Tamiya's more recent Prince of Wales and Repulse.

Thank you, Im just starting to get into ships and have about 20-25 Id like to build someday. Im always trying to find prices for a tight budget $. 

Tamiya's old Nelson, Rodney, KGV, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are available at very reasonable prices - it's worth shopping around to shave a bit more off. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, Keeff said:

Well, this arrived today.... 

20240306_211957

The Takom 'Big Box' ..... 3 big boxes in a big box and a huge pile of plastic! 😬

Keith 😁 

Unless you count the bottle of wine and pink lady apples in Tesco and the latest edition of Airfix  magazine. Then it's the  big box from  Takom. As a primarily aircraft modeller who  still  loves AFVs, it's a  big  commitment.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1