1/35 British Terrier Digger - Scratchbuild

Kipsley

Began this a few days ago given the styrene I ordered arrived in the mail. I've only got pictures to go by so much of this build is guesswork, though I do know the actual dimensions of the bare hull. This is my first ever attempt at scratch building with styrene and I am in two minds as to how it's going so far, but there is a lot of stuff to go on this model so I'll keep going with it and see if it improves.

20231130_174313

The front was pretty tricky.

20231130_174325

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Kipsley said:

I'll keep going with it and see if it improves.

Good idea. If you improve on what you have so far it's going to be really good. If I'd not read that this was your first attempt I'd have thought you'd built something like this before. :thumbsup:

Very nice start👍 Watching on with all the others😄I know what you mean by sending you crazy my CHAVRE was done off photos and looking to see what lines up with what is sometimes a bit confusing 😳stick with it though please.

Gah! I've just about rebuilt this thing three times over. There is only one variant of this machine yet in almost every picture I see something different in each unit. Anyway..... the progress so far. I even bought two Sappers. The tracks are from an old Abrams. I was attempting to scratch build the wheels and was telling the girl who was running my local hobby shop all about how difficult it was, when she produces an old Abrams kit with parts missing. Said I could have it. I love my local hobby shop.

20231206_210120

• Like 18

Funny thing about this build, now that I have something, it looks too big to me, like it's not quite to scale at 1/35. I went onto Wiki where the actual dimensions of this thing are given, and I'm only a few millimetres too tall. Not bad considering I only have pictures to go by. It must be just the way I am looking at it. Anyway..... the build will continue.

• Like 4

Eeerrrrmm, I'm going to have to leave the build for a while. Was cutting a very small part with a very sharp stanley knife........ and I think you can guess what has happened. Sliced through two fingers on my left hand. Blood everywhere. Fortunately cuts from very sharp knives heal rather quickly, so till then I'm full of bandaids at the moment. Should be interesting at work tomorrow as I'm a checkout chick and the register is a touch screen. Lol.

• Sad 4

Ah, not good slicing the fingers!  Hope they heal soon.  

Great work on the Terrier ... very intersting build to follow.

Healing time might work as planning time for this project!  

Keith 😁 

nice job, scratchbuilding is so satisfying but getting all the details right is not always possible so you can get away with leaving things off, most people won't know all the details anyway.

looks good so far i want to do one in 1/72 at some point.

can't wait to see it finished.

9 hours ago, Kipsley said:

Eeerrrrmm, I'm going to have to leave the build for a while. Was cutting a very small part with a very sharp stanley knife........ and I think you can guess what has happened. Sliced through two fingers on my left hand. Blood everywhere. Fortunately cuts from very sharp knives heal rather quickly, so till then I'm full of bandaids at the moment. Should be interesting at work tomorrow as I'm a checkout chick and the register is a touch screen. Lol.

Oops😵‍💫😂
nice work so far though 👍

Ouch! A Stanley knife sounds a bit hefty to be dealing with small parts. I’d invest in a scalpel if I were you. I know they’re terrifyingly sharp, but you’re actually more likely to cut yourself using a big blunt blade than with a small sharp one.

A very detailed model, thus far, of a rarely modelled vehicle - fair dinkum as I believe some people used to say in the Antipodes. I look forward to seeing it painted. It's true, model shops are a good place to have a natter about modelling: online just doesn't seem the same.