Converting the Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet to a COD.4

wellsprop

Because it has come up a few times now, I've decided to create a thread here, which I intend to link to many previous threads to have a single place for all the Gannet COD.4 info.

The main changes required to make a COD.4 are to blank over the radome panel, add baggage pods (not always fitted), add an HF aerial and remove various avionicy things from the rear cockpit.

Further details in @71chally posts below

Gannet COD.4 interior photos

To confirm, the colour is RAF Blue Grey BS381:633

COD.4 underwing stores.

3D Printed Conversion Parts

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am interested in what the weapons bay carried on a COD4. Gannet Warpaint page 23 states: "The weapons bay was adapted to take panniers for stores or even a long-range fuel tank".

I wonder if anybody knows what these fitments looked like? I cannot find any detail. Clearly it would be nice to include these in an open bay. One would expect the bay to be filled before external pods got added.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Unfortunately, decals are very short on the ground - how do we get Xtradecal to make a lovely sheet full of COD Gannets?

The latest Xtradecal X48-237 includes markings for 2 x COD.4's XA430 074/E (HMS Eagle '60's) & XG786 R/FOAC/2 (HMS Ark Royal1963) both in overal RAF Blue Grey, there was a previous sheet X48-060 (currently out of stock at Hannants) that included 1 x COD.4 XA454 V/FOAC/3 (HMS Victorious 1964) in RAF Blue Grey  together with an AS.4 (COD) XA466 LM/777 (849 Sqdn Lossiemouth 1977) in EDSG / Sky.

2 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

The latest Xtradecal X48-237 includes markings for 2 x COD.4's XA430 074/E (HMS Eagle '60's) & XG786 R/FOAC/2 (HMS Ark Royal1963) both in overal RAF Blue Grey, there was a previous sheet X48-060 (currently out of stock at Hannants) that included 1 x COD.4 XA454 V/FOAC/3 (HMS Victorious 1964) in RAF Blue Grey  together with an AS.4 (COD) XA466 LM/777 (849 Sqdn Lossiemouth 1977) in EDSG / Sky.

Fair point, frustratingly I'm after XG790 and XA466 from Ark Royal!

3 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

The sheet is still available from Jadlam

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/xtradecal-48237-fairey-gannet-1-48-decal-collection-for-airfix-a11007-model-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgqGrBhDtARIsAM5s0_l0-VXZNegFoRpI3dPKZyiojpFdvZ9Suhzo4cK9tf_8xH_7s7IfB04aAootEALw_wcB

50 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Thanks Ray,

48-237 is the new sheet and still readily available, 48-060 is the one that is now no longer available (although I have a set bought for use on my Classic Airframes kit).

Regarding COD.4 decals, the biggest issue seems to be the stencils. The Airfix kit includes stencils, but in black, not white as the COD.4 variant requires.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way around this unless, at some point in the future, either Xtradecal release a comprehensive set, or Airfix release a COD.4.

I don't see a COD.4 coming for a few years at least, I would expect Airfix to first get an RAF/Commando variant of their Sea King out, before thinking about the Gannet again.

3 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Regarding COD.4 decals, the biggest issue seems to be the stencils. The Airfix kit includes stencils, but in black, not white as the COD.4 variant requires.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way around this unless, at some point in the future, either Xtradecal release a comprehensive set, or Airfix release a COD.4.

I don't see a COD.4 coming for a few years at least, I would expect Airfix to first get an RAF/Commando variant of their Sea King out, before thinking about the Gannet again.

Xtradecal 48-060 does have some of the ancillary white markings, foot/hand hole stripes, rescue arrows etc. whereas the newer sheet doesn't 🤷‍♂️ Nowhere near a full set of stencils though, at the moment only CTA do the full set of stencils for an RAF BG scheme.

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Understandably so being a Russian manufacturer, you can get them through "Alex Aftermarket" in Serbia through EvilBay 

Presumably relocated from Russia - along with many others?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=alexaftermarket&store_name=alexaftermarket&_oac=1&_nkw=cta

10 hours ago, mahavelona said:

I wonder if anybody knows what these fitments looked like? I cannot find any detail. Clearly it would be nice to include these in an open bay. One would expect the bay to be filled before external pods got added.

Yes, that was the case, near the end of its service life XA466 couldn't carry pods and relied on the bay panniers.  I have seen a not particularly clear shot with the bomb doors open and a pannier just visible, seem to recall it as a light structure with netting or mesh making up the sides.

There is some serious stencilling on a Gannet, so hopefully a comprehensive COD sheet will come.

30659408956_beb7889a35_h.jpgFairey Gannet COD.4 XA466 777 LM by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, 71chally said:

Yes, that was the case, near the end of its service life XA466 couldn't carry pods and relied on the bay panniers.  I have seen a not particularly clear shot with the bomb doors open and a pannier just visible, seem to recall it as a light structure with netting or mesh making up the sides.

There is some serious stencilling on a Gannet, so hopefully a comprehensive COD sheet will come.

30659408956_beb7889a35_h.jpgFairey Gannet COD.4 XA466 777 LM by James Thomas, on Flickr

Big hearse innit.

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2023 at 09:50, Whitewolf said:

I would imagine one of the aftermarket manufacturers is already looking into a COD conversion set........

I'm working on it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben, many thanks for starting this thread, I rarely visit the Cold War forum, so was pointed in this direction from my COD build in the WIP forum.

As an ex Gannet grubber, I was in need of a T Mk5 and a COD version of the Gannet kit. Both seem to be a way off as to release dates.

I have a reference book with gives photos of the centre cockpit but not the rear.

I like the look of your baggage/mail pods, which I have already fashioned from a pair of Kitty Hawk external fuel tanks. Regarding the radome 'hole', I'm thinking of planking it over then filling the rest of the hole until flush.

As mentioned, white stencilling will be a problem, something I overlooked! Maybe a T Mk5 would be easier, ha!

Colin (Heloman1)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly with XA466 the weapons bay is mid grey (an Admiralty Grey?), everything else in RAF Blue Grey.

Looking at period photos of other CODs this seems to be generally the same across the fleet, but weapons bay hard to confirm.