Broadsword Calling Danny Boy - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Massive disappointment that Film and Song was unsuccessful at Bunfight - so I'll build it here.

A very late planned mission,  sparked on a flimsy pretext.

00-Italeri-Ju52.jpg

Where Eagles Dare, from this kit.

An excuse to watch this again, after I've rescued Gen Carnaby.

00-Where-Eagles-Dare.jpg

So a tight extraction plan.

• Like 6

True story... whilst I was on deployment to northern Norway, for an arctic excercise,  we were in the mess (TV room) and were watching "Where eagles dare" when Broadsword to Danny Boy came up.  Immediately, my CO turned to me and said, "how is it that he can report back to London with a coat-hanger aerial when you can't even get through to the next valley?"

Mike

• Haha 10

6 minutes ago, bootneck said:

True story... whilst I was on deployment to northern Norway, for an arctic excercise,  we were in the mess (TV room) and were watching "Where eagles dare" when Broadsword to Danny Boy came up.  Immediately, my CO turned to me and said, "how is it that he can report back to London with a coat-hanger aerial when you can't even get through to the next valley?"

One of life's great mysteries. . . 

The underside, with uneven gaps showing unsquareness.

For anyone following in my footsteps with this model, I'd install that underside part whilst constructing the fuselage for better squareness.

07-Underside.jpg

My elite crew for this mission.

08-Crew.jpg

And the drivers installed.

08-Installed.jpg

Wings fitted, and looking like the real thing.

10-Airframe.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Massive disappointment that Film and Song was unsuccessful at Bunfight - so I'll build it here.

Good to see that it was the springboard for this one's career to, err, take-off. And even better to see you're not letting a perfectly good GB extension go to waste!

• Haha 2

Masked over canopy,

16-Masked-S.jpg

ready for an airbrush of Humbrol 252.  A Luftwaffe green with half a tin on my bench.  

20-H252P.jpg

And this model really eats the paint!  Corrugated surface doubles the area - consuming twice as much paint as a similar size model.

20-H252S.jpg

• Like 9

I think it looks pretty good Tim, lets face it, movie land excepted, aircraft given a winter camo like this would have had a washable distemper applied with probably a broom & what you've got there appears more than acceptable to my eye. 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Decals!  Another challenge over the corrugations.  Laid over Klear,  softened with Mig DecalsSoft, 

Gently pressed into the corrugations with a cloth, the overcoated with matt Klear. 

Pressed in again after resting  overnight, before photos. 

38-Decals-P.jpg

And control surfaces fitted.

38-Decals-RS.jpg

38-Decals-S.jpg

38-Decals-U.jpg

• Like 6

That looks much more like it. Now you need a line of Harvards and an old bus. BTW, I hope you made sure the Pilot was an Aussie?

On 11/22/2023 at 7:19 PM, bootneck said:

Broadsword to Danny Boy came up.  Immediately, my CO turned to me and said, "how is it that he can report back to London with a coat-hanger aerial when you can't even get through to the next valley?"

I always wondered where the Ju52 was while they were messing about in the castle etc. It dropped them at the start but where did it then go? 

It can't have stooged around Germany, nor landed at an Airfield. It would take maybe six hours to get from England? One of lifes mysteries.

But it's only pretend. So I'll stop trying to be logical. I still enjoy the film, and the theme tune. And, as no one else has done it, Here's a link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XKGhG0W0LQ&pp=ygUXd2hlcmUgZWFnbGVzIGRhcmUgdGhlbWU%3D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theplasticsurgeon changed the title to Broadsword Calling Danny Boy - COMPLETED