'Bl***y Terrified' - Building 'Vintage' DH Mosquito Kits

The camouflage looks good.

I always wondered about the spinners on bomber Mosquitoes. They seem to be even darker and bluer than the Ocean Grey.

The nose misshape is fascinating. From underneath it all looks fine. On top, the canopy opening does look a bit small and the nose a bit long - if I can find a cheap one on ebay I should buy it just to put it alongside a plan. Ooh-er I think I need to lie down for a bit...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nice going Mike, it’s all coming along very well for this vintage kit. I’d be tempted to just build it up as OOB as possible, there’s just too many things not quite right with this Airfix Mossie, it’ll make an interesting modelling comparison in ‘scale accuracy’ to your other kits. 

Regarding A and B scheme camouflage patterns, I’m pretty sure the MoD ditched this policy a few years prior to the Mossie hitting it’s straps, so most probably just the one standard pattern (with slight deviations) is typical for this subject. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/12/2023 at 13:46, AdrianMF said:

The nose misshape is fascinating. From underneath it all looks fine. On top, the canopy opening does look a bit small and the nose a bit long - if I can find a cheap one on ebay I should buy it just to put it alongside a plan. Ooh-er I think I need to lie down for a bit...

No need for that - just sit back and watch me on the rack........

On 01/12/2023 at 20:18, Rabbit Leader said:

I’d be tempted to just build it up as OOB as possible, there’s just too many things not quite right with this Airfix Mossie,

Wise words indeed!

JsQo4fb.jpg

However, being firmly in the grasp of this old kit and after much trawling about, including looking at previous related builds by @stevehnz, @old thumper and @AdrianMF in the De Havilland Mega GB of 2017, I've come to the conclusion that a longer canopy is the easy answer and there is a handy Mk.VI option available in the Frog kit! 

Here are the two canopies together...(and hope to improve on my frame painting next time!)

MPxz1d6.jpg

The Frog canopy sitting on the Airfix kit looks like this so a bit of trimming required, maybe of the cockpit lip as well as the canopy lower surface (it looks a bigger scale again). If the canopy extends to where the nose starts to curve down then that should do.

lBl8bGh.jpg

There actually are some photos of MM417/EG-T in my reference books so I can see how the canopy should look (and I'm studiously ignoring the fuselage low camouflage demarcation line and the bombs!) The spinners do look like they are in Ocean Grey though.

3ldA4ZP.jpg

Here is the area under the Frog canopy to be 'altered' - a bit late in the build to be doing this... This looks more like the cockpit area in the later Series 3 Airfix Mossie.

7LjTYDR.jpg

I've also noted that the .303 m/g's from the Frog kit would look better than the Airfix versions although there is a short shot on one of the muzzles. I may just have got away this this graft on job.

SAIYQ1z.jpg

u1bPVHC.jpg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

The Frog canopy sitting on the Airfix kit looks like this

Amazing difference!

Airfix's next Mosquito had a canopy of similar length to the old FROG one.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Thanks 1

Some time later.... Airfix Mossie cockpit extended and a little re-profiling of the nose in front.

9HhSPrr.jpg

Crew back in.

ImJ2A8z.jpg

Working away with the canopy - some filler may be required.

gZfeE0l.jpg

• Like 7

That is looking better already. I think you are crediting me with more than I deserve above, my build in the 2017 DH Mega GB was of the 2nd Airfix kit, not a bad kit at all & about a million percent better than this one. I did make one of these, about 55 years ago I'd reckon & still have the bits, it may get resurrected as the one from Tintin's Red Sea Sharks adventure one day, I've got the canopy from the 2017 build to use with that & I'm already getting some good ideas from this build. Carry on. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

it may get resurrected as the one from Tintin's Red Sea Sharks adventure one day

What a terrific idea Steve!

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1648&authke

Interesting colour scheme, may need a bit of modification!

(your opportunity may be in 2025! :wicked:)

Apologies for the digression Mike.

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 4

That looks a heck of a lot better! Maybe taking a slice out of the nose immediately in front of the cockpit would help too? All the plans I've found seem to suggest that the tip of the nose was pretty much in line with the tips of the spinners.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/12/2023 at 21:02, stevehnz said:

I think you are crediting me with more than I deserve above, my build in the 2017 DH Mega GB was of the 2nd Airfix kit, not a bad kit at all & about a million percent better than this one.

I did mean your 2nd tooling Airfix kit which gave me excellent references for what the Mossie should look like! @AdrianMF also did a Molins version of that newer kit and it was @old thumper who built the first tooling in comparison.

On 06/12/2023 at 22:17, Johnson said:

What a terrific idea Steve!

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1648&authke

More of a Westland Whirlwind type nose on this artist's rendition but recognisable as a Mossie all the same! I'm hoping my Mk.VI can improve on 'Poh, Poh, Poh' with more of a Tacca, Tacca, Boom, Boom, Whoosh, Whoosh, Whoosh'!

On 07/12/2023 at 04:26, marvinneko said:

I admire the dogged persistence on this one! 

Many thanks, it's all good practice I'm telling myself!

On 07/12/2023 at 17:15, AdrianMF said:

Maybe taking a slice out of the nose immediately in front of the cockpit would help too? All the plans I've found seem to suggest that the tip of the nose was pretty much in line with the tips of the spinners.

You're a hard man, @AdrianMF.... I think this kit has had enough sport with me for one build! You are right, of course, the nose does get ahead of the spinners a tad too much.

I've made a sprint for the finish on the Airfix Mk.VI now and the Frog canopy has been grafted on and hopefully paint hides the worst of the scars. That nose remains just too long but at least it curves down from the canopy with a better profile. Transfers/decals went on beautifully as I used only tepid water and let the backing really soak - only the starboard side messed up due to the fuselage reinforcing strake and I had to source some more transfers for the squadron codes which I just applied on top. The serial number in blue has to remain to remind me that this is supposed to be a 'build the old kit' exercise!

FjQ7Aht.jpg

In looking at the nose, I twigged that the .303 m/g's had to be moved to below the centre line and the Frog ones do look much better than the Airfix originals. I left one of the original m/g ports above the nose open as the gun camera and put small cannon barrels (sections of hair brush prongs!) in the lower ports. The Frog rockets and rails look good to me and the pics remind me that there are lots of minor touch ups still required.

C6fhakA.jpg

dB5S7xJ.jpg

I've coated with some Humbrol acrylic matt varnish and this needs a quick fly round the room and put down before I'm institutionalised!

VqPq0pA.jpg

3C64ktD.jpg

Now I really need to get on with the wingtip lights on the Frog Mk.IV. Some clear sprue from a 1/32 kit came in handy. The crew figures are tiny in this kit.

WYE1TYT.jpg?1

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 10

19 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

You're a hard man

Actually, too hard in this case. With the canopy done and all blended in, it looks just like a Mosquito should! Time to change the title to "Bl***y Marvellous!", I would say.

And just seeing that box takes me straight back to Woollies in Acock's Green, circa 1970!

Regards,

Adrian

(edit) ... and the title transfer on the stand too 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

what the Mossie should look like!

Then I'll take some credit for how this has turned out because it sure looks like what a Mossie should look like, & very nicely done too. Should the Mosquito GB get through in next years bunfight, I may feel obliged to follow up on my threat to rebuild my old one into Skut's one. I like the idea of the hair brush bristles as cannons, nice one, have they been missed yet. :) I've sure got lots of good ideas from this thread. 👍 

Steve. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see this one finished Mike and the improvements have really transformed this kit from ‘totally awful’ to ‘more than acceptable’ in my books. I’m also starting to like the notion of kits in flying poses on stands, they really depict the aircraft in their natural element and in this case also hides issues with problematic and undersized undercarriages. The final product on display is a great result. 

Also good to see you’ve found a couple of HO scale Boy Scouts to crew the Frog Mossie, they’ll have a wonderful time skimming across the Channel in search of some enemy trade to strafe!! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ll second (third? fourth?) the comments on how good it looks.  The nose looks fine to me, too, and the overall impression fits a Mosquito to the tee.

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

And just seeing that box takes me straight back to Woollies in Acock's Green, circa 1970!

Me too, though in my case it would be Fareham and maybe a year or two later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow, just had a great catch up ond you've done a great job on that very old kit, the Frog canopy has really improved the look of the nose .  Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Frog kit, which is looking great so far, I do lovecthe old Frog kits and am a big Airfix fan myself, a lot of my stash is Airfix .

Great work

Chris

• Thanks 1

Some progress forward and a step back on the Frog Mossie Mk.IV - the rear wingtip lights are done but the clear blocks I used for the front ones came off under pressure - because I had cut the light segments quite large, even the 1/32 canopy sprue I picked up initially didn't quite make the necessary dimensions so I had purloined a slice of clear soft optical plastic from my dog's LED collar!

No problem, fortuitously there was a massive clear sprue tree in the Frog VC10 (with flashing lights) kit and I think that is going to meet my wingtip lights needs for the next 10 years!

The reference pics I have show 105 Squadron Mossies (code 'GB', same as Frog has included with the kit) with front and rear wingtip lights but being b/w photos, no colours are discernable. I don't believe it was worth having the red/green combination at the rear as well as the front so I have installed blue bulbs in the rear wingtip lights based on the fact that I believe the Lancaster had these (putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 6) as wing formation lights. I'll wait and see if this promotes a bit of animated discussion.... (BTW, I sneaked a blue light onto the tail of the Airfix Mk. VI Mossie, under the white one, as I've seen this on some pics).

ynztKOL.jpg?1

eEKzTkD.jpg 

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, Work In Progress said:

That really does take me back. It may not be massively Mosquito-shaped, but it is VERY memory-shaped for me

I have visceral tactile childhood memories of my brother's 1:48 P-40 and A6M Zero.  I can still feel the exhausts on the P-40, and the riveting on the Zero 45 years later.  There was also a 1:72 CH-3 I played with, but the memories aren't quite as tactile.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, orange said:

I have visceral tactile childhood memories of my brother's 1:48 P-40 and A6M Zero.  I can still feel the exhausts on the P-40, and the riveting on the Zero 45 years later.  There was also a 1:72 CH-3 I played with, but the memories aren't quite as tactile.

I firmly believe that that is actually what these kits were all about back in the day, pre-internet etc. It gave you the experience of aircraft right in your own home!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I took a break from the Frog VC10 and got the camouflage painted on the Frog Mossie MK. IV. This followed the layout in the Frog scheme and looked a good match to the reference pics for 105 Squadron. Just prop tips in yellow and a bit of heat staining on the exhaust stubs to be done as well as the canopy and front end perspex framework of course, doing it the long way with one direction at a time. The main canopy is supplied in two halves (why?) and it had been assembled but gave way under the strain of masking.

kjqzOLi.jpg

However, the Airfix Mossie MK VI had not done with me yet as I had spotted that the Frog Mossie had elevator trim tab actuators on the starboard upper and port under surfaces. This was a bit confusing at first but reference pics supported this odd arrangement and so I had to backfit some to the Airfix kit.

HtqkWip.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

On the last lap with the Frog DH Mosquito Mk.IV (need to get it finished before the end of the Frog Squad 2 GB so it can make the 'Inspiration Gallery'

Prop blades have their yellow tips now and the heat staining on the exhaust stacks are done.

Transfers are on - they did take some soaking to get off the backing paper and the squadron codes crinkled up so had to be smoothed down very carefully. I've lost count of how many times the two part canopy has come apart during painting of the frames but that plus a Matt Cote is all that remains now.

unIEc84.jpg

sFC7ceE.jpg

• Like 4