G7117 1,5t Cargo truck w/Winch 1:35 MiniArt

Something irregular for me but still a part of my hobby is to build the occasional military vehicle. This time I decided to build a GMC cargo truck. The version is the G7117 which came with a winch. Over 167000 of the GMC were built in various configurations and of this particular one they built over 26000. A fair number of these were shipped to the USSR as part of the land lease act. 

The MiniArt kit provides us with a generous amount of parts in gray and transparent plastic, some PE, decals of course and a chain. To complement the kit, two figures are included as well. The instructions are in typical MiniArt style. In all, it's looking good. The parts look nicely moulded and apart from an occasional sink mark here and there, the quality of the moulds is perfect.

Let's begin.

The box:

IMG-1909.jpg

Grey and transparant plastic

IMG-1910.jpg

IMG-1911.jpg

IMG-1912.jpg

IMG-1913.jpg

IMG-1914.jpg

IMG-1915.jpg

IMG-1916.jpg

IMG-1917.jpg

IMG-1918.jpg

IMG-1919.jpg

IMG-1920.jpg

IMG-1921.jpg

IMG-1922.jpg

IMG-1923.jpg

IMG-1924.jpg

Decals and PE

IMG-1925.jpg

IMG-1926.jpg

MiniArt instructions

IMG-1927.jpg

IMG-1928.jpg

IMG-1929.jpg

• Like 9

Yes, definitely no cuts in the parts department. What's more, MiniArt includes the moulds to fold PE around in the kit which makes shaping some of these parts a lot easier. Up till now I've constructed the framework and added lots of little parts. I've decided to try to airbrush most of it in one go so no paint has been used thus far. Fit is perfect, this is really enjoyable to build. :)

Simple beginnings

IMG-1946.jpg

IMG-1947.jpg

PE mould

IMG-1948.jpg
And bit by bit, the frame becomes crowded by the many details the kit provides

IMG-1949.jpg

IMG-1950.jpg

IMG-1951.jpg

IMG-1952.jpg

IMG-1957.jpg

IMG-1958.jpg

IMG-1959.jpg

IMG-1960.jpg

• Like 13

Looks like a miniart kit alright. Good start, clean building. 

Nice to see a fellow dutchy in the armour departement 😉

I think i'll follow along. Got a icm studebaker in the stash so it's nice to get some inspiration. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the nice comments. I'm really enjoying this build so far and that's partly due to the great quality of this kit. I can recommend this kit although some experience does help.

So, what have I been up to these past weeks of virtual silence. Lots of little bits and the airbrush was released from its cage. I couldn't resist its rueful pleas to be allowed to join me in this joyful build. And thus I applied a few coats of olive drab. It turned out to be hard to reach some nooks and cranies, not so much because they were hiding and out of sight but because micro eddies in the flow caused by the frame's multitude of strange shapes, caused paint to simply not reach the spots I was aiming for. I think we all recognise this odd feature of fluid dynamics. Anyway, undeterred, I managed to correct most of this with a brush. Old school saved the day. 

The cabin has an interesting construction in that it's partly overlapping on the backside. A cleaver bit of engineering that creates a very strong whole. The bench, however, is the one downside of this kit. It's very basic and to be honest, not very interesting. But that's nothing that can't be fixed with some milliput. I have to give credit here to Martin Covac (Uncle Nightshift for his Youtube fans) for showing this solution. I painted that in dark brown and highlighted it in several, ever shrinking layers of lighter brown. 

The last thing I did so far was covering all of this hard work in a shiny layer of floor polish. I like to use this floor polish because it hardens really quickly and is rock-hard and virtually impenetrable, whatever I throw at it. 

And now, after all this talk, it's time to show you the state of things. Please enjoy. :) 

Engine, painted and ready for a wash

IMG-1961.jpg

IMG-1962.jpg

Frame and exhaust

IMG-1963.jpg

IMG-1964.jpg

IMG-1965.jpg

Cabin and bench unpainted

IMG-1966.jpg

IMG-1967.jpg

IMG-1968.jpg

IMG-1969.jpg

IMG-1970.jpg

IMG-1971.jpg

IMG-1972.jpg

IMG-1973.jpg

IMG-1974.jpg

And after painting

IMG-1975.jpg

IMG-1976.jpg

IMG-1977.jpg

IMG-1978.jpg

IMG-1979.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks guys. :cheers:

And on we build. This episode is centred around chipping and adding all the bits and pieces to the framework 

For starters I gave the parts a wash with oils. That was the easy bit. Next up, chipping. I used the tried and tested method of adding lots of chips with a sponge, using a mix of olive drab and white. The larger chips got a little bit of infill with a mix of dark grey and black. Once that was dry enough I added some splashes of rust over the larger chips and blended those. 

And that led me to the stage where I could start to add all these prepared bits and pieces together and wouldn't you know, it's starting to look like a truck. The engine received a complement of spark plug cables which adds just that last little bit it needed. The rest went down pretty straight forward. Patience was the name of the game. And I'm happy with the result to far. I'm looking forward to your opinions. 

And now that's all set aside to harden, I got stuck in with the PE for the nose. For this the kit also provides two templates to help in bending. In the end I needed to bend a lot freehand anyway but it still provides a good reference to check if it will actually fit. 

And that's it for today. Felt like a productive Saturday to me. 

Dirty and more interesting engine

IMG-1983.jpg

IMG-1984.jpg

IMG-1985.jpg

First round of chipping

IMG-1980.jpg

IMG-1981.jpg

IMG-1982.jpg

bits of rust

IMG-1986.jpg

IMG-1987.jpg

Cabin put together

IMG-1988.jpg

IMG-1990.jpg

Engine with spark plug cables. 

IMG-1991.jpg

IMG-1992.jpg

Adding bits and pieces, including the engine cover (the hood, since it's an American truck). I will position that open in the final version to show off the engine.

IMG-1993.jpg

IMG-1994.jpg

IMG-1995.jpg

IMG-1996.jpg

IMG-1997.jpg

IMG-1998.jpg

IMG-1999.jpg
And, the PE for the nose so far.

IMG-2000.jpg

IMG-2001.jpg

Edited by Klaasdebouwer
  • Like 12

Exceptional work, I'm really liking what you've done with it so far.

The chipped and scratched paintwork on the cab looks particularly well done. Interesting to see Miniart have included a jig for the pe grill.

Great modelling 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the very nice comments. :cheers:

The project continues. This episode I built the cargo box, which was a straightforward construction. The PE hooks look very nice and up till now I have bent only one accidentally while handling the part. I fitted the benches in the folded up position to make room for the cargo. This will consist of a number of barrels of gasoline and similar products, a couple of wooden chests and a few rolled up fabric items. I hope to make it look crowded in there. 

So, once that was all constructed I took out ye olde airbrush to spray on some more olive drab, red brown and kaki. Two figurines have been constructed already. I will try another approach with painting them this time. More on that in the next episode. 

For now, some pictures to round it all out. 

Straightforward box construction and two jerrycans.

IMG-2002.jpg

IMG-2003.jpg

IMG-2004.jpg

IMG-2005.jpg

IMG-2006.jpg

IMG-2007.jpg

Freight in its unpainted stats. And boy does cutting resin produce heaps of dust. (mask advisable).

IMG-2008.jpg

IMG-2009.jpg

Hard working men

IMG-2010.jpg
And most of it painted. 

IMG-2011.jpg

IMG-2012.jpg

IMG-2013.jpg

IMG-2014.jpg

IMG-2015.jpg

IMG-2017.jpg

IMG-2018.jpg

IMG-2019.jpg

Oh and this can't be omitted ;)

IMG-2016.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

What a great build so far! Your attention to detail really shows. Neat and clean building and the improvements you make are exactly what the model needs without going overboard. Nice that you gave the driverseat the 'nightshift' treatement 😉 it really lifts the whole interior. 

• Thanks 1