Boeing 707 C-135 E-3 STGB@halfway

bianfuxia

A STGB for the modern heavy.

Any family member of the Boeing 707 (incl 720, and the Dash 80 707 prototype) and the C-135/E-3 family.

Airliners! Private Jets! Cargo planes! AWACs! Intel! Recon! Airborne command post! Tanker! Space program range instrumentation! So many variants. 

1/72! 1/144! 1/125! 1/100! 1/139! Box scale! There are also so many kits and scales:

1470926-10105-80-pristine.jpg

1388380-10105-18-pristine.jpg

933167-14745-93-pristine.jpg

153513-11814-pristine.jpg

1359663-38473-28-pristine.jpg

To list just a very few.

Any variant, any scale, any airline or armed forces. 

1. Me

2. @zebra

3. @Mjwomack

4. @Romeo Alpha Yankee

5. @Ghostbase

6. @Stefan Buysse

7. @CarLos

8. @Fatcawthorne

9. @LorenSharp

10. @Rob S

11. @Skodadriver

12. @Jabba

13. @gingerbob

14. @Whirly

15. @halcyonjet

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, zebra said:

Yes, absolutely definitely count me in with no hesitation whatsoever! The NC-135A used by NASA to test winglets has been on my to-do list for a while so would be a front runner for this.

Excellent choice, welcome aboard.

16 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Irresitable- I often think I've never built a B707 so this in the push I need, probably a sub-saharan African one for me, SAA, East African top the list, but ask me again tomorrow🤣

13 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Who doesn't like a good Boeing 707/C-135 GB

sign me up

Welcome both of you!

Another good idea for a STGB next year 👍 Again, please count me in. Many years ago I built the AMT/ERTL 1/72 KC-135A but never finished it, it is actually sat just a few feet away on a very large shelf-of-shame, but what an impressive sized model! I have two kits in the stash - the AMT/ERTL C-135C 'Looking Glass' and their NKC-135A 'Laser Lab' and I keep meaning to start the 'Looking Glass'. Add to that the excellent Caracal C-135 General Purpose Markings decal set, that would be a good project for 2025.

Michael

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Another good idea for a STGB next year 👍 Again, please count me in. Many years ago I built the AMT/ERTL 1/72 KC-135A but never finished it, it is actually sat just a few feet away on a very large shelf-of-shame, but what an impressive sized model! I have two kits in the stash - the AMT/ERTL C-135C 'Looking Glass' and their NKC-135A 'Laser Lab' and I keep meaning to start the 'Looking Glass'. Add to that the excellent Caracal C-135 General Purpose Markings decal set, that would be a good project for 2025.

Michael

Welcome - and I bet there are a few 707 or 135s on the Shelf of Doom. We might modify the 25% rule a little bit! 

14 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Rivet counting but STGB are for single aircraft 

types, the 707 and kc-135 are different…..joking though have to be a real pedant to class them as not the same as you need to measure them to tell them apart sans distinguishing markings 

There are more differences than that, the KC 135 has a circular-section fuselage whereas the 707 (and C 137) have a double-bubble section.  The wings are also significantly different in platform (and probably section).

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Rivet counting but STGB are for single aircraft 

types, the 707 and kc-135 are different…..joking though have to be a real pedant to class them as not the same as you need to measure them to tell them apart sans distinguishing markings 

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

There are more differences than that, the KC 135 has a circular-section fuselage whereas the 707 (and C 137) have a double-bubble section.  The wings are also significantly different in platform (and probably section).

Sounds like I should sign you both up for one of each? 😁

• Haha 1

My first flight was on an Air Malta 720 back in, ooh don't really want to think about it!!!

If that's an acceptable version then I'll get my paws on a Roden kit and some 26 decals and play along nicely!!

Take care all

Chris

• Like 1

I mean the Mk 1 Spitfire and the Mk 22 Spitfire have basically nothing in common but their name, right? Different dimensions, different engines, different performance, different armament? 

And yet there's no trouble having a "Spitfire" GB.

737-100 vs 737-Max is the same situation but we had a "737 GB" a few years back. 

So unless Enzo declares this invalid I am going to say that eligibility for the 707/135 STGB includes anything that is:

. a 707

. a 720

. a -135 (with any combo of prefix and suffix letters eg KC-135R, Rc-135V)

. an E-3 of any variant

. any other associated variant of that family I'm not aware of as long as it's Boeing, 4-engined and not a 747 🤣

Basically if it's made by Boeing and looks like a 707 or a 135 to someone who would also say a Mk 1 and Mk 22 Spitfire are both Spitfires then it's in. 

Please sign up because it'll be awesome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarLos said:

Would the Dash 80 be acceptable for the GB? 

Yes of course it is. It's the Ur-707, the famous prototype of the legendary barrel roll and the sign next to it at Udvar Hazy in Washington says "Boeing 707".

I would love to see a model of that. 

Welcome aboard!

7 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

My first flight was on an Air Malta 720 back in, ooh don't really want to think about it!!!

If that's an acceptable version then I'll get my paws on a Roden kit and some 26 decals and play along nicely!!

Take care all

Chris

Welcome aboard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2023 at 12:37 AM, Rob S said:

Have kits of each in 1:144, 1:100, and 1:72. 

For this GB probably the one off CFM-56 707 in 1:144 would be the subject. 

Sounds like an excellent choice with a few back items as Plan B - welcome aboard.