F-111 Pave Tack outline?

David Womby

Can anyone, please, trace the outline of an F-111 Pave Tack pod for me?  I am planning to model an F-111 with the Pave Tack retracted.  I'd like to represent the slight bulge in the bay door where the Pave Tack  sits when it's rotated inboard.  I need an outline of that shape, please.

David

14 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Can anyone, please, trace the outline of an F-111 Pave Tack pod for me?  I am planning to model an F-111 with the Pave Tack retracted.  I'd like to represent the slight bulge in the bay door where the Pave Tack  sits when it's rotated inboard.  I need an outline of that shape, please.

David

@David WombyDavid, I don't have a drawing but photos that one could make in relation to the actual cradle assembly. Hobby Boss has a close cradle which I'm going to work with to make one in 1/48th scale. Some where in my parts bin have a 1/72nd scale made for a vacuform transfer. It's made from a Hasegawa weapons bay door assembly and a hand drawn cradle. I'll look for it and put it up if I find in a short time. At any rate here is the Hobby Boss mold of the cradle followed by some photos of the enclosure with the pave tack pod stored.

IMG_0721 IMG_0387F IMG_0379F IMG_0277F

I'll look for the vacuform master and I've done the same thing with the intake covers. I have masters for the F-111 and F-4. So hope this helps or gets you the outlines you seek.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This thread over on ARC is 3 years old so the link may be gone, but post #4 on page 1 includes a dropbox reference to Pave Tack drawings.  The thread includes several images and some discussion that may be moderately helpful.

Also, for purposes of checking your outline you can look for underside photos of an F-111C in flight (easier to find than F-111Fs since the latter were retired before digital photography was ubiquitous).  Other than the RF-111C conversions I believe all the Aussie Varks in later service had Pave Tack fitted.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

This thread over on ARC is 3 years old so the link may be gone, but post #4 on page 1 includes a dropbox reference to Pave Tack drawings.  The thread includes several images and some discussion that may be moderately helpful.

Also, for purposes of checking your outline you can look for underside photos of an F-111C in flight (easier to find than F-111Fs since the latter were retired before digital photography was ubiquitous).  Other than the RF-111C conversions I believe all the Aussie Varks in later service had Pave Tack fitted.

Got it!.  Thank you.

David

@David WombyDavid, I did come across the vacuform master for what I made in the mid 1995. The back edge where the weapons bay vent cover were is missing. I made this from the double weapons bay doors from the kit. Only had one F-111D/F kit at that time. Here it is:

HasegawaPavTacCradle

Surprisingly the bay door outline did not show up when vacuformed. Great drawing of the assembly. This also may help

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Yeah David,

I have wanted a stowed Pave Tack pod for quite a while for my 1/72nd Hasegawa Aussie "Pig"!  I have even asked Air Graphics if they would consider making one.

Maybe I can try to make one when I finally retire, IF my eyes and steady hands hold up!

WARDOG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

@Pappy may be able to help. He has a reference or two for F-111Cs!

Thanks.  I have made a passable shape in plastic card.  I will post a pi  when I get home in a few days.

David