1/72 - Westland Wasp & Scout resin kits by ROTORCraft/Freightdog Models - release in 2024

Homebee

ROTORCraft/Freightdog Models is to release 1/72nd Westland Wasp HAS.1 & Scout helicopters resin kits. 

Picture source: Freightdog Models (thank you !)

395934243-256458353726028-53641713102906

Source: https://www.facebook.com/gary.hatcher.90260/posts/pfbid02tMCBzBdEnUe99sP4BixsFjB5MjWip47XMuk7jMQDGn85wwYiiC34RBug78AdTXeGl

401083194-882880556716223-64677281788931

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235132424-new-re-issued-freightdog-and-combat-kits-items-at-scale-modelworld-2023/

(...) Lastly we will have a test build of the Westland Wasp complete resin kit on display, this will be released early next year under the ROTORCraft brand. (...)

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235132504-any-new-release-announcements-at-telford/&do=findComment&comment=4816475

Freightdog had most of a new 1/72nd scale Westland Waspon display. They were just waiting for the canopy. Due out January/February 2024, wasn't sure of the price, I think it was in the upper twenties. (...)

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235132504-any-new-release-announcements-at-telford/&do=findComment&comment=4816775

I don't think it has anything in common with any other kit actual or mooted. The designer and master maker was on the stand and very happy to talk about it. It's a gorgeous-looking kit in resin, with petite and scale-appropriate details, cast in regular resin and toughened stuff for key fine and stressed parts (eg undercarriage and tail rotor supports, and the rotor hub). Two sets of blades for different configurations, but no weapons in the basic kit (though torpedoes and mountings are mastered and tooled to be available alongside the kit). Price looks like mid-30s £s, which seems very reasonable for such a crisp and detailed kit (the engine is 7 parts on its own).

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Westland Wasp resin kit by ROTORCraft/Freightdog Models - release in 2024

Spoke to the guys extensively about this and it’s difficult gestation. To keep the price down weapons will be separate this means the price will be £35-40 (subject to change) which is extremely good value especially as this one will come with instructions! The masters have been designed from the ground up and are not based off an old kit. 

A Scout will follow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Westland Wasp & Scout resin kits by ROTORCraft/Freightdog Models - release in 2024
2 hours ago, matford said:

Is this any relation to the S&M Models?

No, as the S&M Models project was a plastic injected kit designed and made by AMG - Arsenal Model Group (?) in Ukraine acting as subcontractor.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

No, as the S&M Models project was a plastic injected kit designed and made by AMG - Arsenal Model Group (?) in Ukraine.

V.P.

The announcement of that kit along with others is one of the reasons this kit has been delayed as they have halted and restarted work on the masters due to "imminent" releases from other manufacturers that then failed to materialize - the S&M kit for obvious valid reasons.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?id=100063676297507&story_fbid=951497233649478

"A small update on our resin cast 1/72 scale Westland Wasp. Mindful that an injection moulded kit from Ukraine is imminent, we have scaled back the release of our ROTORcraft complete resin kit. However, as our kit is already finished, we will still make at least one production batch and see how they sell. These should be available to order by the beginning of May. We feel the higher level of detail in our kit will still make it of interest to some modellers who have followed the project over a long period.  Our kit is cast (in grey, clear and strengthened black resin) by CMR, with additional clear vacform parts by Rob Taurus, with decals for two options by Fantasy Printshop Ltd. Price will be in the region of £30.00, available only from our website. PM to pre-order and I will message you when ready."

V.P.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic news that this project is still going ahead though I feel bad that it isn’t going to get to sales it deserves due to the LF release 

I still think that full resin kits with vacformed canopies etc are only for those Chosen Ones with straight hands and calm minds who can assemble kits without filler and with zero tolerance fit. So I mean the Chosen Ones would buy resin Wasp and Scout regardless of existence of plastic version. And those with less straight hands would not even look at that direction. At least I would not :(

...Maybe I still should give a try?...

Edited by Dennis_C