EF-111A kit bash

Borisz

Hello!

Some intro for my choice:

I wanted to do something easy and recreational this time so I decided to do my EF-111.
Many yaers ago I have built already an Italerikit but it crashed unfortunatly. I wated to have an other one and I saw a Revel boxed on a forum for a little money. Before buying I didnt noticed that this ex-onogram kit have raised panel lines. Anyway its a nice kit, much more detailed then the later Italeri. Back then I didnt know that somewhere exist a third, Hasegawa version of this giant. Anyway later I get in my hands an Italeri kit. One way or an other I become avare of the Hasegawa kit but that wasnt available then. In the meanwhile I got a set of aftermarket wheels and a resin cockpit some years ago from an other modellers stash, so all in all I am gathering this stock of plastick for a while and I left the idea of getting the Hasegava kit at all.

IMG_20231010_183625

Anyway while I was viewing the two kits I decided to use some parts of the Revell-Monogram kit in the Italeri. I noteced that tha overall shape of the two kits are very much close to each other and the parts breakdown realy similar.
I started the building some weeks ago and the first stem was to fit the aftermarket cocpit (probably a Verlinden) into the Italeri nose section. Well this def. too small to just put it in, so I had to give it some extension. The dashboard of the resin upgrade doesnt match to an EF variant, but the ex-Monogram is realy nice, only a minor extra was needed.

As I was inspecting more and more I decided to keep the Italeri nose wheel well and detail it up a little, but the more I was watching the main wheel well of it, the less satisfied I was. I decided to use the Revell-Monogram wheel well but the total thing wast totaly obvius first...

The ex-Monogram, the Italeri and perhaps the Verlinden tubs.

IMG_20231009_220116

Two different noses, but close enough, not?

IMG_20231009_220353

Here is the resin tub in the Italeri nose. It needed soe support to stay in place.

IMG_20231010_204658

I made that I could do:

IMG_20231019_163524

Either the nose wheel well was already a subject of upgrade:

IMG_20231019_212251

Some plastic sheets were built in here and there:

IMG_20231030_201001

The two sides of the two wells

IMG_20231104_145324

I wasnt satisfied with my first try however so I did it again:

IMG_20231106_002447

Also I started to thinkgabout the main well too. This is that section of the two kits where they the most different are and I wasnt sure how to pop in the details from the donor kit.

IMG_20231106_194741

My first thoughts were to use just some part, cut the walls from the Revel(-Monogram) kit and fix it to the walls of the Italeri one. But, however I realised that I will need more and more parts of the donor. It has the fan blades and intake and so on!
So I started to make some place...

IMG_20231106_204449

My plan was to cut the intake parts from the other kit and glue it onto the parts if it. As I was wathcing it more and more I realised that I have to be more drastic. Also the drastic way would be much faster too and maybe either easier!
I am goint to use a bigger section of the donor kit from the fan blades forvard until the EW bay.

IMG_20231111_175524

IMG_20231111_175631

And now I have two questions to you, fellow modelers.
Could somebody give me some references to the left side of the nose wheel well and tell me if the assimetric front section of the EW bay and EW radome correct or not, please?

• Like 13

@BoriszHello, This will be photo heavy and lots of detail for your build. They are all taken from EF-111A CC 66-0016 on display at Cannon AFB New Mexico. These first batch are the nose wheel well. This has been demilitarized and parts are missing. The rocket motor for the capsule.

100_8185 100_8184 100_8183 100_8182 100_8179 100_8180 100_8181

This should get you the information on the nose wheel well. Next up the belly radome.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@BoriszSecond part of the EF-111A. Overall view of the profile and some up close of the radar dome. Again photo heavy.

100_2648 100_2649 100_2651 IMG_3922 IMG_3921 IMG_3920 IMG_3919 IMG_3918 IMG_3917 IMG_3899

The left side is identical to the right so I won't bore with the left side images unless you ask for them.

Watching with interest of your kit bash build,

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thank you @f111guru these are realy useful photos!

If I am not to much, I would ask some more now, but it isn't urgent.
Do you have one more photo of the encircled area please? Or, if I am not mistaken the connection point of the hydraulic cylinder is covered by the support "fork" of the landing gear right?
And, I'm gone trought on your F-111 album on Flickr for the two sides of the radome. If I got it right the two pararell panel lines -marked with red- should be kept pararell as they are on the Monogram/Revel kit below and not aligned in one continous line, as on the Italeri kit, right?

IMG_20231104_145324-1

Edited by Borisz
  • Like 3

@BoriszThe hinge point for the nose gear down lock assembly is just that a hinge or swivel point.

IMG_6274 100_8185

That's where it dead ends and I don't have any other photos of that area at this time. This next photo is of a FB-111A on the Cannon AFB transient ramp.

IMG_0364FB

Hopefully I can address your other question. The EF-111A has two different nose gear doors. First is the right and has an overlap extending aft of the gear door edge.

IMG_3376

This next is the left gear door and notice the different over hang extension of the right.

IMG_3825

So to answer your question No they are not parallel. The front of the canoe radome should reflect the difference. I don't think any of the kits show this. I don't know when it changed or why. In the next photo is the area behind the left door and the front end of the canoe radome. Note the shape.

IMG_3826

If you want to get real crazy with the details, these next set should help you do just that. Starting on the left.

IMG_3827

The under side of the left door.

IMG_3829

The arc of the left rear edge.

IMG_3828

Rear and under side of the right door.

IMG_3912

Back edge of the right door.

IMG_3911

This should give you the answers you seek. I'll hut through my vark directories and see what else may help.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

@BoriszFound some other things in the nose gear well. This is a USAF drawing so should be accurate of the nose gear.

OJT1-08

The last two are of the Hobby Boss 1/48th scale nose gear and wheel well. Shows the link and how it's attached. The Hasegawa 1/72nd scale F-111 series has this as well.

100_9142 100_9138

All The Best,
Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon for everyone!

I'm more or less done with the nose gear bay  and startend to fill the random, unnecessary panel lines on the Italeri nose section. Just a question CA glue and sandpaper, not a big deal. Later I will add some missing details and than upluad a photo, but for now, there is not so much to see.

I am going on the airframe from the nose to the rear so the next station is the main landing gear's bay. Well, this is a bit confusing for me. I was going from the 'let me see -> well, okay... so delet this, extend that and... -> what the hell I am watching?' on a staright route.

My question for the more educated modelers is that all (E)F-111 had the same bay?

I stared marking the pieces. Dots to delet, continuous line to build. I dont say this is the all work to do here, but this is where I stopped to take a photo. It looks to me however that I shall delet most of the details here. At least on the walls.

IMG_20231118_162406

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Borisz said:

Good afternoon for everyone!

I'm more or less done with the nose gear bay  and startend to fill the random, unnecessary panel lines on the Italeri nose section. Just a question CA glue and sandpaper, not a big deal. Later I will add some missing details and than upluad a photo, but for now, there is not so much to see.

I am going on the airframe from the nose to the rear so the next station is the main landing gear's bay. Well, this is a bit confusing for me. I was going from the 'let me see -> well, okay... so delet this, extend that and... -> what the hell I am watching?' on a staright route.

My question for the more educated modelers is that all (E)F-111 had the same bay?

I stared marking the pieces. Dots to delet, continuous line to build. I dont say this is the all work to do here, but this is where I stopped to take a photo. It looks to me however that I shall delet most of the details here. At least on the walls.

IMG_20231118_162406

To answer your question the main landing bays are similar from one to another. The lines you've dotted out to remove are fuel and hydraulic plumbing. Here are a few from left right and ceiling in the front of the main wheel well.

IMG_6238 IMG_6234 IMG_6248

The next couple are right to left in the back of the main wheel well.

IMG_6253 IMG_6251

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@f111guru thanks for the photos, again! The first pair helped me to find the directions of the bay.

23 hours ago, f111guru said:

The lines you've dotted out to remove are fuel and hydraulic plumbing

If you think about the tubes on the ceiling, I say that these looks misplaced for me.
On the following picture the black tube rises up from the plane of the front wall, doesnt?
f-111a_67-0051_28_of_88.jpg

@BoriszI won't up load on your page the photos I have, instead you can go to my flickr account and in the start up page I've added the entire wheel well photos. In sort of a sequence starting with image number IMG_6237, 6263, 6242, 6248, 6243, will show you where the black tube plumbing starts at the forward wall goes up past the speed brake actuator across the ceiling through the center frame work and the transits down the back wall into the wall. Being black I can only guess it's water plumbing. The pump and guessing it's a pump wrapped in black is set above the water tank.

All I can say is do your best with the small area you have to work with in 1/72nd scale. My opinion your doing a fantastic job on the kit bash.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have not been here for a while now, but here is a quick update:

I put together the nose section, the nose gear bay and the cocpit glued into. Panel lines, rivets and quick locks are done. Also I corrected a lot of lines on the back of the fusalage. I have to say Revell did it better.
Besides the panel-work I started the plumbing of the main landing gear bay. Some pipes and boxes are already glued in their final place, some are ready to build in - on a later stage.

53438732334_28ee6f4b48_h.jpg

On this picture I mared the deleted panel lines with red, and marked the added ones with green:

53463806783_86f87d996d_h.jpg

You can see some of the new lines of rivets here:

53437489232_ed595955f1_h.jpg

Back to the bay:

53464123715_c93bbe18e2_h.jpg

53461663844_66caa4f44d_h.jpg

Any comments are welcome!

PS: If the photos does not load here, you can click on the links, it works for me. Let me know if it still doesn't work,

Edited by Borisz
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I made some progress.

To revise the panel lines on the underside of the fusalage was realy relaxing. I can say that both Italeri and Monogram made a half-job. Both of them simplified and ignored some lines but I thing now I have angraved all of them. The vast majority at least.

53509180208_5084297404_h.jpg

Although I had a little accident. Machanis says (at least in Hungary) that all corners are a starting crack. During some gentle sanding I heard a soft crackle. As I started to inspect the workpiece I heard an ather crackle and just after that I saw a line. A nice, curved, almost 2 centimeters long line.
Obviously this was that thing that I was vainly dreaming about since I was a teeneger and Iwas realymissing that experience in my life, especially in this exact build. Alright, its not the end of the world I drilled a hole to stop it, and give it some modeling glue to fix it, and later I filled the hol with CA gel.

53509442510_d05f089d4a_h.jpg

Anyway I was over it and I could concentrate on the wheelbay again. I studied the photos of @f111guru and grabbed a drawing compass ( or how is the circle drawing device called) and a ruler to draw this tiny robot kitten head to help my work. Here it is:

53509334004_4f901ca7c9_h.jpg

This kitten head is layout of the bracing in the middle of the wheel bay and seemed to be realy helpful.

53508124227_141c4b0929_h.jpg

And this is where I am now.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Heyy!

I didnt have muh "time" to go on eith this bay but finally I made a last (or last but one) dry fitting with the lot of gadgets.
Some boxes from the sidewalls are still missing, they are on their little plate waiting. Also some thin wires missing, but on the porpuse to better reach everything else.
In fact a few pipe is just placed here for the sake of the photo. Now I am unsure about paint it at all. This looks awsome imo! :D

53619715197_99b5c230da_b.jpg

53619715202_69f82d451f_b.jpg

• Like 8

@BoriszGreat work on the main wheel well. Makes it much more realistic. Great work and looking forward to your progress.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

First of all thanks for all the reactions you gave me.
I was scribing panel lines and rivet rows onto the Revell vertical fin. I choose this because I found easier than filling the wrong trenches. of the Italeri.

53665491810_34a68d120b_b.jpg

Its might be not perfect, but I think that'll do it.

The next one is the case of the wings. On the underside I had some fitting problems that needed a thin sheet of plastic. Also I need to add a few oval inspection holes thats for sure and I need to double check the wingtips, there is something fishy.

53664972491_a4c73002ba_b.jpg

53665430135_fd419634fc_b.jpg

Anyway I thinking about the droptanks. Withthose it looks more manacing I think, but I dont remember to see them on any photos from the Desert Storm. What do you think?

• Like 6

@BoriszDuring Desert Storm none of the F-111's or EF-111's flew drop tanks. At least as far as the USAF went. I'll find my references for Desert Storm but thinking that the EF-111A's may not have flown pylons. Hope to get back with you soon.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

As far as I know, The EF-111s did not carry anything on the wings during D Strom. Having just done a check on dstorm.eu, this also says the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, f111guru said:

@BoriszDuring Desert Storm none of the F-111's or EF-111's flew drop tanks. At least as far as the USAF went. I'll find my references for Desert Storm but thinking that the EF-111A's may not have flown pylons. Hope to get back with you soon.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

As far as I know, The EF-111s did not carry anything on the wings during D Strom. Having just done a check on dstorm.eu, this also says the same.

Thank you, I accept your words. No load then.

Absolutely stunning wok on the detail. I have a Revell kit that I slowly building but just building out the box with no added detail. As I am at an early stage of my skills this is good enough for me. Hopefully, I will advance my skills to something approaching yours one day. Keep up the good work - it is inspiring :).

Thanks for sharing!