Italeri Sd. Kfz 232 6-Rad 1/35

Andy H

Not overly complicated to put together, although I found the hatches didn't fit well.

The crewman's an Academy figure I stole from the Airfix Pz.35(t) - a bit of a challenge getting him into the turret, but I do like to 'humanise' my vehicles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

Hi Andy,

It is a superb vehicle, I love it.
The gray treatment is magnificent, I still have to do something in gray that I like.
This vehicle has always attracted me, ever since the 1/76 Matchbox model when I was a kid.
I knew about this at 1/35, but being Italeri, I have never dared to pick one up, because now it is a fairly mediocre brand compared to what we have on offer now, and upon returning to the hobby, I bought some of their kits, and I no longer I was thinking of doing it more.
But if you say that everything went as it should, maybe later I'll give it a chance.
Very well presented too.

Cheers

Francis.👍

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,

It is a superb vehicle, I love it.
The gray treatment is magnificent, I still have to do something in gray that I like.
This vehicle has always attracted me, ever since the 1/76 Matchbox model when I was a kid.
I knew about this at 1/35, but being Italeri, I have never dared to pick one up, because now it is a fairly mediocre brand compared to what we have on offer now, and upon returning to the hobby, I bought some of their kits, and I no longer I was thinking of doing it more.
But if you say that everything went as it should, maybe later I'll give it a chance.
Very well presented too.

Cheers

Francis.👍

Hi Francis,

Thanks for kind words.

Italeri released a version with a resin interior which might look nice with some hatches open - obviously it'll be more expensive. Tamiya also reboxed the basic version, I'm not sure what they added to it, probably a crew figure and easy to understand instructions (Italeri don't mention a couple of required parts in theirs).

My biggest worry was the complicated looking radio antenna, but with a lot of practice runs, I got there in the end. The front wheels are 'steerable', too - which might be nice in a diorama.

The main colour was really easy - I just sprayed it with a Humbrol 'tank grey' rattle can and went over it with Tamiya 'grey' weathering powder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keeff said:

Lovely work .... a bit of an unusual vehicle, looks great with the weathering, the figure and the simple base. 

Keith 😁 

Hi Keith,

Thanks for kind words.

Top tip: Buy the ladies in your life Ferrero Rocher choccies - they'll think you're really thoughtful...and the trays make great model bases, just spray them any colour you like on the inside. 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

Looks great. Thanks for the heads up on the kit as I looking at this hoping to see someone build it recently.

Paul

Thanks for kind words 🙂

As mentioned, the hatches don't fit too well, and the instructions aren't too clear in places. Might be worth downloading the instructions from Tamiya's rebox from Scalemates, or buying the rebox if the price is right.

• Thanks 1

Well done, I've got one in my stash too. Unfortunately, Tamiya has discontinued their kit of SdKfz 231 6-Rad. Some guy on the British Ebay lists it for an obscene price. Hopefully some other company will release a model in 1/35 of this distinctive vehicle in the future instead of another Mickey Maus (pun intended) what-if crap.

Edited by Zgubiony Turysta
  • Thanks 1