Wedell-Williams Model 44 Racer (1931 version)

With relatively few parts, this should go pretty quickly but depends what I find along the way, so here we go. 

20231219-123202.jpg

The instructions (if that's what you call them) do not have any colour call-out for the cockpit, so I had to do a bit of digging. Nothing definitive was found but searching the WiP's for period builds pointed a way. Also consulted Claudio (Moa) who was a BMer for further help. It was decided to paint the interior fabric walls a greyish colour. Next, the horizontal stringers were made of wood, so I scratched them from thin wire and painted brown. The stringers were attached to an aluminium frame which I cobbled together using thin plastic rod and painted aluminium. The engine firewall, floor and rear wall were aluminium and painted so. And just because I do, I added a throttle quadrant out of plastic, painted it black and fitted it to the left fuselage.

Next, it'll be to paint the i/p, peddles, stick and seat.

Stuart

• Like 11

A little more done.

20231221-121102.jpg

Parts primed. Engine painted black, dry brushed aluminium and crank case(?) painted grey. Instrument painted black, glossed before receiving dial decals (not supplied in kit). Sealed with matt varnish before applying a dot of gloss on each dial.

20231221-131407.jpg

Fitted i/p and peddles before joining the fuselage halves with CA, stick and seat will be added after painting. A bit of tarting up required, nothing too difficult.

20231221-131422.jpg

View of the cockpit.

Stuart

• Like 10

On 12/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, 2996 Victor said:

cockpit as a whole is a gem and the IP looks excellent.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I like to add a little detail to the cockpit without going OOT, there's always nosey types who can't help but look inside.

On 12/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, bigbadbadge said:

cockpit looks fantastic Stuart as does that engine too. Great work.

Cheers Chris. The engine is how it comes OOB and a simple paint job works wonders.

20231222-162610.jpg

Not much of an update. Innards of engine cowling painted aluminium. Wings fixed to fuselage but a little filling work is needed along roots and a couple of other places. Nothing now until after Christmas.

I wish all followers, likers and passerbyers a Happy Christmas :cheers::party: . See you anon.

Stuart

• Like 8

With Christmas almost out of the way, I managed get a little time at the bench.

20231228-143532.jpg

Nothing much really. Rudder, horizontal stabilizers and legs fitted. Joints made good and primer applied. Primer reveals a couple of areas need a little attention but nothing major.

Stuart

• Like 11

On 23/12/2023 at 19:59, Courageous said:

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I like to add a little detail to the cockpit without going OOT, there's always nosey types who can't help but look inside.

that’s very true. The cockpit is where the human interest lives.  

You achieved a much better result by painting the pieces before sticking them in then my recent effort when I assembled before painting. I was in a hurry, but I will adopt your system in future.

This looks an interesting little aeroplane. I’ll have to look it up later.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to you all.

@AdrianMF @bigbadbadge, cheers guys.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:19 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

but I will adopt your system in future.

Thanks for the praise Bertie but I wouldn't say that it's a system...

20240105-122600.jpg

I thought I hadn't any red paint but here we have a lovely red from Mr Hobby that went over a white base.

Stuart

• Like 10

That was a good result on the replacement fuselage. This is now coming along splendidly Stuart. 

Thanks also for the link to Moa's site, I'd forgotten how inspiring his stuff is. 

A belated Happy New Year by the way!

Terry

• Like 1

@bigbadbadge @2996 Victor @Terry1954, cheers guys, thanks for the encouragement.

Still not feeling 100% but things are dawdling along.

20240110-104019.jpg

The kit comes with decals that edge the wing surfaces, upper and lower surfaces. The instructions then tell you to paint the outer edges with gold, hmm, that'll be interesting. Anyways, the decals were applied and although the tail plane decals went on okay, the wing ones broke up into a number of large pieces and the one which wrapped round the engine cowling was worse. I was hoping that these decals would a lot tighter to the edge, minimising the amount a painting required so that any mismatch between the golds would be minimal but this was not to be , particularly on the engine cowling. What to do? I have two options, remove the decals, mask and paint the edges gold or live with it. If I painted the edges gold, would this match the bleeding great registration number on the wing surfaces that were gold...

Stuart

• Like 5

A decision was made...

20240110-133107.jpg

I decided to keep the decal edging on and using AK 3rd Gen Gold that was thinned slightly with water went on beautifully and matched nigh on perfectly. Being happy with my work, the rest of the decals went on with no problem except the top port wing race number '44'. The decals didn't really want to 'play ball' with any of the decal softeners I had, the cowling decal was the worst due to the compound curves but the decals eventually went on.

20240110-133225.jpg

The underside.

20240111-103955.jpg

Here we have the cowling, the problem child, not 100% but acceptable to me. Also here are the spats painted in AK's Gold.

Was the gold decal/paint a success? I believe so except maybe the cowling where in some areas the decal just wouldn't go down but I'll accept it and move on. I have since found a photo of '44' with the gold registration but no gold edging to the wings or cowling so I could've got away with no edging decals.

We live and learn.

Stuart

• Like 10

Hi Stuart,

can I just say that "44" is looking spectacular! The gold edging has gone really well, despite the decal issues, and you should be very chuffed with the result! Annoying that that photo has turned up, but that's how it so often goes.....

Cheers,

Mark

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

I have since found a photo of '44' with the gold registration but no gold edging to the wings or cowling so I could've got away with no edging decals.

But what you've done looks great Stuart. You could always make another '44' later! 😉

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Stuart, what a great match for the gold, looks superb.  Shame that photo turns up after all that work, still you have done a grand job and should be rightly chuffed with it.

Chris

• Like 1