Boulton Paul Defiant - A Crusty Budgie

53273984450_7ba35cefb4_k.jpgIMG_3769 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

I've had an Airfix 1/72 scale Boulton Paul defiant staring at me from the stash for more than a while, and I finally gave in. With my self imposed rule of never building the plane from the box art (with notable exceptions of course), I took to the interwebs in search of some inspiration and kept stopping on one of two images of the same aircraft, from the same flight; Defiant Mk.1 N1744 JT-S of 256 Sqn:

53273984790_5ba58f052c_h.jpgBoulton+Paul+Defiant+II by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

The Airfix kit itself went together without a hitch, I'm not sure why I'd avoided it for so long. I added a set of AML 6-stub exhausts to match the photo and Eduard seat belts but the rest of the kit was built OOB. Markings were a combination of kit supplied and a set from OWL. Of course the model's party piece is its very very weathered finish, apparently the black overpainting on JT-S had all but completely failed by the time my subject's portrait was taken. This was accomplished by starting off with a normal TLS finish followed by a liberal application of hairspray and salt after which black was sprayed all over. Once the salt was chipped away, a swath of the original dark earth/dark green was exposed. I finished up with several hours with a paint, powders, pigments, sponges and picks. The result seems convincing, to me at least.

53273875894_4902ca205e_k.jpgIMG_3751 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53273875904_934eb03862_k.jpgIMG_3759 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53273802388_919a7209a8_k.jpgIMG_3755 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

53272630822_ef27b05998_k.jpgIMG_3757 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

Edited by RainierHooker
spelling and gramar
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 2

Great looking Defiant.  The weathering you did was awesome.  However, and you cannot say this very often, compared to the pictures you posted of the real aircraft, your weathering was quite restrained as compared to the actual aircraft.  That aircraft has seen better days.  Thanks for sharing this build.