3 Squadron RAAF CO Bobby Gibbes' Kittyhawk IA ET953

Wings unlevel

On 24/12/2023 at 23:11, franky boy said:

Sorry to see the P-40 won’t be finished Gerard. I’m sure once you’ve got the paint on it’ll move along quickly. Your F-16 is looking good too. 

Happy Christmas to you too. 

James

Thanks James, merry Christmas to you and yours too. 🎅 

Should have some Kittyhawk progress to report later this week. 🤞

• Like 2

Back home, and back at it, and back to an all black primed model.

Black basing

Pretty happy with how all the joins are cleaned up. Not perfect but to a standard I’m happy with, and to move on to paint from.

Black basing

So base coats tomorrow I reckon after some marbling tonight. Looking forward to that, will feel like progress, at last!

• Like 6

Thanks James and Craig, I appreciate the generous comments, as alway.

My last update while the GB is still live is to report that I now have paint on.

Azure blue:

Azure blue

Middle stone:

Mid stone

And dark earth:

Painted

All painted with AK Real. Along the way I’ve done most of the detail painting too, plus the obligatory touch ups, and touch ups of touch ups. Still not happy with my camouflage masking efforts, but practice makes less imperfect!

Back at work on Tuesday but hopefully I can get this finished during the week. As I’ve missed the gallery there’s no rush with this one, other than there’s a WW2 twins mega GB starting next weekend I’d like to dive in to!

In the meantime, happy new year to all BM GBers!

• Like 6

Agreeing with the crowd, that's looking very nice, Gerard :) I've not used those colours, but I do like the AK Real Color paints I've used so far. Looking at that, I might have to get the RAF desert colours for a comparison.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the final stretch, and will definitely be seeing you over in the Twins MEGA GB (emphasis there as we're already at 41 build threads with a week to go...)

James

• Like 2

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think you have done a superb job on her and achieved a nice varied look to the paintwork.

Thanks Craig, the paintwork took a bit of work and was not without swearing, but it’s not too bad in the end…

12 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looking very nice Gerard 

Ive nit tried AK real colours for camo yet but they look very nice.

Thanks James. The AK Reals spray beautifully and I really like their colours.

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

Looking forward to seeing this one in the final stretch, and will definitely be seeing you over in the Twins MEGA GB (emphasis there as we're already at 41 build threads with a week to go...)

Thanks James. Just waiting for a last delivery in the post and I’ll make it 42 build threads!  Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Had to blow the dust off this thread to post an update after leaving it deserted for too long! 🤭

But now my Beaufighter is done my Kittyhawk is getting some deserved attention. One reason I’d stalled with it, apart from the GB ending, was it needed some fiddly paint touch ups.

Ready for decals

Turns out they weren’t quite so fiddly as I’d feared, and while the paint work is not perfect it’s much better, good enough to move on from. So with a gloss coat and the undercarriage attached, it was on to decaling…

Decaling

So these Novascale decals are interesting. ALPS printed - is that a kind of laser printer? There’s no cover film so you need to cut each individual decal out by hand. And they provide white backing decals, for whiter whites.

Decaling

Not sure I why used them for the type B roundels. I figured there was a reason if they were provided.

So here it is with the decals on.

Descaled

So umm, glad this set exists and I can build Bobby Gibbes’ machine, but umm, that C.1 decal is not quite right. And those fin flashes are not settling down at all over the light on the fin, I’ve got some of the white under decals showing through in places, and the colour density could be better…

Descaled

So I’ve ordered a set of DK Decals for RAF/SAAF/RAAF Kittyhawks - it’s for Italian theatre Kittyhawks but it has the right type B and C.1 roundels and fin flashes. So I’ll leave the Novascale squadron codes, serial number and nose art decals on and replace the national markings. 

I can see its potential, but it’s not quite there yet. But at least it shouldn’t be another 6 weeks before my next update! 🤣

• Like 4

It's a shame you've got to replace some of the decals, but it's going to be worth it. This is a great looking model

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

It's a shame you've got to replace some of the decals, but it's going to be worth it. This is a great looking model

James

Thanks James! Some short term pain - more waiting - for the longer term gain!

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I see what you mean about the C1 roundels Gerard, very unusual proportions. Other than that your Kittyhawk is looking really good mate and I'm glad that you have stuck with it and are keeping us updated.

cheers Craig, it’s odd the C.1s are wrongly proportioned because they’re shown correctly on the placement sheet. Also the yellow is a bit too bright I reckon. Anyway, Australia Post willing, I should have the replacement decals on in a few days. 🤞

• Like 2

New DK decals arrived today. With the added bonus I now have markings for a potential future 3 Squadron RAAF Kittyhawk Mk IV build (note the famous southern cross light blue tail).

Re decaled

In with the new meant off with the old.

Re decaled

Tamiya tape made short of them.

Re decaled

Much, much better. Am impressed by the DK decals, they’re settling down nicely. Also attached the resin engine exhaust stubs, ahead of a sealing gloss coat for the decals next and then into some weathering.

• Like 6

Good job getting the old decals off Gerard, they came off very nicely, and the replacements have gone on really well. I have used DK Decals before and think that they are very nice to work with and their research is usually very good too. There are some nice options on that sheet and the 3 Sqn RAAF one does look very nice with that blue tail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

the 3 Sqn RAAF one does look very nice with that blue tail.

Thanks Craig, will save for when Eduard brings out a P-40N kit I reckon. 👍

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

That looks much better :)

Much happier!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice to see this one back on the bench and looking good Gerard.

Good change with the decals. 

James

Thanks James, not sure why l left it unloved for so long. It’ll have a few rough edges when done but I’m still pretty pleased with how it’s turning out. Just need to learn how to mask and spray roundels like you did, next!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thanks James, not sure why l left it unloved for so long. It’ll have a few rough edges when done but I’m still pretty pleased with how it’s turning out. Just need to learn how to mask and spray roundels like you did, next!

I’m sure it won’t have many rough edges and if it does just put it down to the desert environment😀

As for spraying roundels masking sets are the way forward. 

James

• Haha 1