Italeri 7061 1/72 Sd. Kfz. 124 Wespe (Esci mold)

Quailane

I love the recent Italeri re-boxings of old Esci kits, at least most of the time! I have made several in the past, including one I just finished for another group build. The box art and decal options for this model are superb. I'm not sure which scheme I will go with. I'm being very careful to not make any mistakes in this build that will haunt me later on.

spacer.png

The rubber tracks don't seem bad. Even while still on the sprue, I tested to make sure that they fit over the sprockets!

ADCreHfQzXuv4vSuBGLlT0nxbyL1uHas4ZQcT7eR

Of course, I couldn't help myself and after an hour of research, I had to start the build! It is quite simple. You complete the lower hull and the upper hull separately, and then mate them. The round hole in the front of the top half is to hold a spare wheel onto. Not many photos, including the box art, show a spare wheel there. Also most photos show just one front light instead of the two provided in the kit.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Faired over the front opening and added bolts with superglue. Added a floor to the basket on the side. Painted the wheels and lower chassis.

spacer.png

Added hinges to the driver's front hatch. Filled in the hole where the spare wheel is mounted. I'm going to mount the spare wheel, just higher up.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Looks terrific,  I've not seen rivets added with superglue before  :like:

I must admit, due the age of most of my kits any rivets are usually so pronounced you could grate cheese with them so it's never been an issue to add additional one :wink:

cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of updates:

Painted. Note the upper and lower halves remain separate here.

spacer.png

Weathered. I used a new foam weathering sponge instead of the cotton q-tips I was previously using.

spacer.png

I realized that I really needed to put back the curved piece I previously removed. Looking at the same source photographs, I saw I needed to add a bar to hold the spare track links on the front, even if the track links were not present.

spacer.png

Painted the new parts:

spacer.png

Weathered. Nothing left to work on. No decals, as the few photos I found show no markings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And there I thought it was finished. Unfortunately, when I sprayed it with matte varnish, it dried between glossy and semi-glossy. I thought maybe I had not shaken the can enough, so I tried again. It turns out it is from the cold air outside. With two coats, the varnish is already visibly thick. I will try one more time, spraying it outdoors during the day and in sunlight, and then immediately using a hair dryer to dry it. If that doesn't work, then I am out of options.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to fix the matte clear issue by waiting for a relatively warm sunny day and spraying it again outside in the sun at noon. When the matte had sprayed glossy, I had also let the can warm up a bit from the exhaust of my computer's cooling fan, so this time I also it just sit at room temperature before spraying. I'm not sure which one caused the glossy issue or both, but I learned my lesson.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3