Was that a camel? No, an Emil or possibly 2! Finished

Zephyr91

Hi folks.  I've been pottering away at tuny bits of this and that on the model.  So it doesn't look like much progress.  However, I have had a go at improving the stbd wing blotches with the result below

spacer.png

Slightly odd angle.  Much happier with that, although I can't seem to get the fuselage to a similar standard.  But it will have to do.  I've spent enough time on it and it can always revert to a mule if it annoys me too much when complete.

Undercarriages and props are assembled and receiving paint.   I think gloss, decals and then adding the bits and weathering will see them done.   However, it will be after the weekend as we have visitors and I have to tidy up the kitchen table/modelling bench!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

Another quick update.   Modelling bench still out of action but before operations were closed down I managed to get some glossing and transfers applied.  :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some of the 40yr old decals from the Airfix kit were a bit challenging but eventually went on.  They have a matt finish and are rather thick (sounds like me really) so I was worried about the appearance of the decal film and potential for silvering.  Still a bit visible but no silvering evident.  They're all sealed in with Humbrol Clear ready for some subtle washing and weathering.  I may try a very gentle sanding round the edges of the worst offenders to try and feather them a bit.

They're also both on their main landing gear but without doors yet, or tailwheels.  The ICM version looks a bit "stalky" perhaps but hopefully the look will improve once the doors are on.

The props are being painted but I'm having trouble getting sharp boundaries between the red and white spinner segments and am having to keep re-doing these.  I'm doing this bit by freehand brush, but I can't paint the lines straight enough not to use masking tape.  Couple that with having touble getting masking tape on the curved surfaces  :doh: leaves me rather :drunk:.  Results so far not great but improving ....... maybe :hmmm:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

Great to see the decals on Rob, and I think you did a very good job of applying them, especially considering the age of the Airfix ones. Your idea of sanding the edges of them to blend in is a good one and one that I have used myself, just remember to do it gently and gradually or you can end up making more work for yourself.

The painting of straight lines on the spinner can be a pain and I have had a job getting masking tape to adhere to the shape of them properly in 1/48 scale so in 1/72 it will be even trickier, just do the best you can as nobody will judge you on here.

• Thanks 1

Tiny, baby steps forward between clearing the bench and reoccupying it this week!  🙄

This pair are also fighting all the time.  But we are getting there.

spacer.png

Props are dry-fitted.  I'm still not happy with the spinner on white 6 and I've managed to break both tailwheels and had to repair them.  What is it with me and tailwheels?  Every build I have trauma with them!  :swear:  No matter, they're on again.  

I'm also not so pleased with the landing gear.  They are too long, particularly on the ICM kit, but I don't have the will power to mod them - maybe in the future..

The pic above shows them in pristine state before I try the weathering/staining.  Don't want to overdo it, but they would get dirty very quickly in desert conditions.   So the "to do" list is

- exhausts and residue (grated pastels)

- dust/sand (mix of grated pastels and artist oil washes)

- final bits (aileron mass balances, aerials and wires, probably tail wheels again :giggle:)

- matt/satin varnish to seal everything

- un-mask canopies and fettle

- photos?

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

I think they're both looking very good Rob and that the spinners have turned out well.

I always manage to have something break  on my builds too and tailwheels are often the culprit as they are delicate by their nature. Adjusting the length of landing gear can be very tricky and they lose their strength.

Looking forward to the weathering.

• Thanks 1

Until I saw the photos below, I was going to call these done!   Need to try and fettle the black 8 cockpit framing.  Looks a bit heavy in the photo although not too obvious in real life.  

And, having had to re-glue BOTH tail wheels, again, :doh: I notice in the photo that white 6 has lost a main gear door!  How the heck did that happen?  :shrug:   No don't answer.  I sometimes have all the finesse and touch of a wildebeest!  [with apologies to all wildebeest out there]

I'll do some better (hopefully) pics tomorrow in natural light

spacer.png

spacer.png

Since the previous photos I've done a bit of light weathering and washing and matt coating.   You really can't see it in the photos, but I was particularly pleased with the dusty effect achieved with a very light spray of Colourcoats Light Earth.  Concentrated mostly aft of the wheels on the wing centre-section and rear fuselage/tailplane, but allowing a little to overspray outboard wings and upper surfaces.

I also was satisfied with the exhaust effects and under-fuse oilyness. Sorry no photo.   A bit heavier on black 8.  I used the photo of the captured Bf109E  W/Nr 1304 and RAF serial AEA79   https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/Captured/pages/RAF-AE476-Bf-109E3-showing-a-pefect-underneath-profile-photograph-complete-with-oil-leaks-01.html    as a pattern for the undersides but clearly nowhere near as stained as that one!  Mainly done with powdered pastels mixing yellow, brown and black applied dry with an old paintbrush and smudged with a cotton bud and a touch of water here and there.

The flash seems to have highlighted the aerial wires more than they seem to show on the table here.  They were made from clear (apparently you can also get it in a smoky brown colour) invisible mending thread which is very fine.

I tried some gentle oil washes to try and lift some of the detail but was keen not to overdo it - and so might have totally underdone it!! 🙄  Using artist's oil paints thinned with lighter fluid, I applied a mix of white, blue and ultramarine on the undersides and some burnt sienna on the upper surfaces.  I could do with highlighting the control surfaces more, I think.

Final bit was a light coat of Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear from a spray can to try and seal what weathering was left!!

Hopefully they'll be boxed off tomorrow.   Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 6

Would love brighter pix to see your work more clearly.  White backgrounds will cause your camera to adjust according to that brightness level and the planes will be too dark. Stronger lighting but also dark backgrounds will cause the planes to pop nicely.

Can't wait to see your work with the oils :) 

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 1

The weather was pretty bad today so couldn't get outside to do some photos, and the canopy framing took longer than expected.

However, here's a teaser for the undersides 

spacer.png

Rather strangely posed because I was trying not to damage the radio mast and wires. 

Slightly more dirtying on Black 8 on the left.  It might be too much because the photos of this aircraft in my reference books show it to be fairly clean.  Will just assume that photos were taken just after painting and that the model is after a few flights.   Well that's my story anyway ......   I was also trying to "balance" the amount of exhaust staining above with the oil staining below on each aircraft as per @Troy Smith's hints and tips elsewhere.

Pleased that the controls show up more than the panel lines as well on both of them.   I'm still learning with these techniques and hopefully will develop them further on future builds. 

Thanks for looking,

Rob

• Like 9

• Zephyr91 changed the title to Was that a camel? No, an Emil or possibly 2! Finished

A great result Rob, well actually a pair of great results!

They both look fantastic and you have shown us that the old Airfix kit shouldn't necessarily be overlooked as a good model can be built from it.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and very well done on producing two excellent models. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

shown us that the old Airfix kit shouldn't necessarily be overlooked

Thanks for the kind comments. 

I have to say that once the rivets were reduced the outline of the model seemed good.  It matched quite well with the Granger drawings I have.  If anything the tailplane is better than the ICM version which appears a bit undersized.

The Airfix was also a bit easier to assemble being less flexible due to thicker plastic I think, and hence easier to align parts together.  But i liked them both.

Thanks again for hosting.

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

Nice results in the gallery Rob. Hope you can get some photos with stronger light. Would love to see them in their glory. I picked up an LED ring light at a junk store last month and gave it to my wife. It clips on her phone around the lenses. Cost $3 I think.

• Thanks 1