MiG-25 PU, Iraqi Air force ********* Finished **********

For this GB I will be using like most modellers here the ICM kit to build a fighter trainer aircraft of the Iraqi Air Force. One of these aircraft was found by Australian SAS troops during Op Falconer in trees near Al Asad AB covered with camo nets.

The kit box.

8ZRm8hC.jpg

What is inside.

xncUguO.jpg

Kit instructions and decals.

ZlZxNNV.jpg

Decals that I will be using.

7lRnwlc.jpg

Some info.

Q7ZFo5R.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome along with an interesting subject choice and our first 2 seater as well.

Another of these really nice ICM model, though this would have to be the ugliest of the MiG-25's.

Great choice for a scheme as well, having Mr Coopers great reference book will be very helpful for the build.

Well good luck with it, even with the known issues with the fitting of intake sand fuselage sections it is still a great model to build.

• 2 weeks later...

On 30/09/2023 at 23:32, trickyrich said:

Great choice for a scheme as well, having Mr Coopers great reference book will be very helpful for the build.

Yes this book is a bit of a bible when it comes to the finishes and markings of aircraft, especially when it comes to MiG-25s and the way the the Iraqi triangle is positioned on the wings.

I have made a start on this one with both cockpits and a few sub assemblies. Although I have made up the Fwd cockpit I will be not adding it at least until I have struggled to get the Rear part fitted to the rest of the fuselage. That part is coming soon and although I have built the PD version I am still not quite sure how to go about it. I have been following @Hook and his build to see if theat can give me some ideas.

4IqVN3N.jpg

J02Pu24.jpg

qVY1ygy.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 17:03, Hook said:

Too bad it'll cost an arm and a leg to purchase one. 

Luckily I got mine many years ago.

Like @Hook I have been doing some trialling with the Fwd fuselage and the intake part that it is glued onto. It is a pity that such a vital connection does not really have a firm positive  location onto which the Fwd fuselage can be glued onto. I did place the part onto the Rear fuselage bottom part and then trialled the fitment of the Fwd fuselage. Every time I took the whole assy of the Bottom fuselage I noticed that the Fwd fuselage would move. I put this down to how the whole assy (including intakes when they are fitted) is joined with the Bottom fuselage and that appears to be vertical. So with this in mind I have come to the conclusion that the lip at the front of the Bottom fuselage may have to go or at least be shaved down, because if the fit the whole assy vertically it would have to ride over this and then somehow click into place. I will however not do this until the whole assy is fitted together and I have done at least a trial fit. At the moment I cannot remember how I did this on my PD aircraft as I am sure that I did not remove anything. Anyhow the pictures below show my progress.

ABCNyKy.jpg

HuLUIad.jpg

Xn7JqWb.jpg

B0EzZSM.jpg 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jabba said:

It is a pity that such a vital connection does not really have a firm positive  location onto which the Fwd fuselage can be glued onto.

The build sequence I eventually adapted luckily seems to result in a joint that is both smooth and sturdy. 

Cheers,

Andre

I have now fitted the Fwd fuselage to the rear part. When donig this I had to cut away the lip as I could not get the parts to meet at all without causing damage. The resulting join is pretty good, so I have done a trial with the top and L/H side panels which again seem to fit well. Now for the main U/C parts before I glue these on.

EbwVJ4i.jpg

R7q2xSb.jpg

aQz27CJ.jpg

V0TTbtx.jpg

lQn0EZ9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I had to cut away the lip

The instructions as-is will indeed lead to trouble - I'm still pleased with my approach (apart from the join of the aft intake trunking.

Nice progress!

I have now fitted the top piece, Fwd side pieces and the tail parts. I did require a bit of pressure when fitting the Fwd parts, but apart from that all parts fitted well. There is some filling to be done here and there. I have aso done a trial fit of the wings (which for some reason the photo did not upload) which showed that the Port wing is a little tight and requires some remval of a small amount of plastic, whilst the Stbd one fits easily and is a little on the loose side but not that bad. I still have to fit the upper parts of the intakes and I have not done any trialling with them yet.

kJAqxll.jpg

edfA8zg.jpg

YgdZlsV.jpg

MF1VCQf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think @exdraken That either kit was based on the other, I am not sure which came first. So for that reason I think that both kits have a similar make up, with the similat fitment issues.

I have fitted the upper intake panels, which have been the hardest to get into the correct positionish. I have sanded down the fuselage parts and then fitted the wings. There is a bit of filling required, but nothing too substantial.

GzC5hqg.jpg

AZlddyq.jpg

FKeOW0g.jpg

• Like 2

Shaping up nicely! 

On 11/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, Jabba said:

I have fitted the upper intake panels, which have been the hardest to get into the correct positionish

On my PU I fitted the upper intake pieces first, followed by the long fuselage sides. In retrospect this may have caused some unneccessary gaps. 

Cheers,

Andre

4 hours ago, Hook said:

On my PU I fitted the upper intake pieces first, followed by the long fuselage sides. In retrospect this may have caused some unneccessary gaps. 

I think that it may be half a dozen of one thing, 6 of the other.

Anyhow I now have more parts fitted together. The biggest pain wa sthe parachute cover at the rear of the top fuselage. fitting it was alright, but trying to sand the filler was not the best. I did catch the wing tip balance things and the main U/C a few time, but luckily they survived. I have a bit of filling to do around the 2nd cockpit joint, but it is not that bad. I did add a bit of extra weight before I fitted it, but I do not think that it was really needed, just insurance. 

I will ask a question about the paint colour. I have noticed that a few of you have mentioned a Vallejo Model IAr colour, but as I use a hairy stick can someone reccommend a Model color equivilant?

tflL7MH.jpg

gVJmxis.jpg

H6YAO8t.jpg

tQUIPUp.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally started to paint this one. I started with the U/C bays and the steel at the back end as these were all the same colour. After masking the Steel I then painted the Lt Grey, which to my surprise was rather a lot of paint. I have mask off the areas that are to be painted Dk Grey and will also paint the Black around the canopies before returning to the back end with some more metal painting.

AO9I3hW.jpg

IJMkKe5.jpg

1qTdBHM.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks all for your replies.

Painting has now finished and I have applied 1 coat of Klear with another coat being applied tonight. I will then start decalling, which has run into a slight prolem in that I have run out of Iraqi insignia and fin flashes from the linden Hill sheet for a MiG-25 and I have 3 of these sheets. So I am going to have to find some others from previous kits and other decal sheets that I have. Luckily I am able to cobble the Ser No of the aircraft from a Linden Hill sheet.

YPxed9R.jpg

l4Q0xaP.jpg

zCsezdM.jpg

• Like 3

The major decals are now applied, including a cut and shunt Ser No of an aircraft that was found/captured at Qadessiya in 2003. The Triangle are not quite the right size, but are close enough for me. Now on with the stencils or maybe most of the bigger ones. I did photgraph the under sides, but somehow this did not make it to my camera.

cQWETTc.jpg

liHFVni.jpg

• Like 3