A Bit o' Lace - Airfix 1/72

Enzo the Magnificent

21 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I then applied the "exhaust staining".   I was a bit puzzled as to how this could be on the top of the wings when there are no exhausts nearby so I checked on that interweb thingy.  I am glad that I did.  It turns out that it is not exhaust staining.  It's oil!    I was all ready to have more staining streaking from the vents but my research showed me that would be incorrect.  The vents do not act as exhausts.  They are part of the intercooler system.  The characteristic streaking from them doesn't actually come from the vents.  The streaking is in between the vents.   It seems that the vents disrupt the boundary layer along the wing which is carrying the oil droplets from the engines.  The boundary layer lifts from the wing surface taking the oil with it.  So the areas behind the vents are relatively clean, with the stripy effect coming in between the vents where the boundary layer hasn't been disturbed.

I sprayed Flory Models dark dirt weathering wash to represent the oil.  When it had dried I took a damp paintbrush and cleaned up the areas behind the vents.

I really like your research and your deduction, my dear Watson. 👍

This subject comes up more and more often when we talk about the marks on the upper surface of the B17's wing.

And let's not forget that Wright star engines 'piddle' oil.
As always, a photo is the final arbiter.

Your representation is very convincing, and really resembles what we see in the photo:

backsi10.jpg

I wondered whether my own work was too exaggerated, but once again, photography is the judge of peace.

I made a printscreen while watching William WYLER's film Memphis Belle, and this is what you see through the radio window of the eponymous B17 during a take-off sequence:

dscf4910.jpg

Then, let me come back to the colour of Miss Lace's elevators: are they really the colour you suggest? Aren't they more of a dull aluminium? :hmmm:

Cheer up, you'll finish before me! :D

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

When mr. Wyler filled the Belle, 8th AF bombing missions tended to be shorter and not so long times in extreme heights and cold temperatures. Missions to Germany proper were few and mostly flown over the North Sea, gaining altitude slowly along the way, and the targets were in the north near the coast. Thus, the Cyclones didn't spit so much oil than in 1944, when mission altitudes were reached over the Channel and retained all the way deep inside German hinterland, and back (if you weren't shot down).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Then, let me come back to the colour of Miss Lace's elevators: are they really the colour you suggest? Aren't they more of a dull aluminium? :hmmm:

Interesting.  In the photo you show they are definitely dull aluminium.  However in this photo they seem to be olive drab.   I wonder if the elevators were replaced at some point.

https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/42-97976-louie-the-creep-aka-a-bit-o-lace/42-97976/

8 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Interesting.  In the photo you show they are definitely dull aluminium.  However in this photo they seem to be olive drab.   I wonder if the elevators were replaced at some point.

https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/42-97976-louie-the-creep-aka-a-bit-o-lace/42-97976/

Yes they were replaced. Read here #20. Rautio diary, April 3. mission to Kiel, all about why.

http://www.447bg.com/447th Stories.htm

D-Dog was Miss Lace. Us Finns are always there in the middle of action :coolio:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Is it in Neutral Gray in this picture or not?

One thing to note is that the top surface is definitely from an OD donor, but has clearly there has been an attempt to strip some of the paint. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't also the case on the lower wing (probably done at the maintenance depot while the wing was off and waiting for a victim plane in need)

Also, the outer wing does look somewhat less reflective than the inner panel next to it... although that whole underside looks dirty as hell.

A-BIT-O-LACE-19.JPG

As I was scrutinizing the photo, I found myself drawn to the shadows of the nacelles -- especially the turbocharger on No. 1 and the wheel on No. 2.

Actually, the more I look at the glare of the bright sky runs well under the near stabilizer. Most of that dirty color on the lower fuselage is actually just a reflection of the countryside.

The closest shot I have of a NMF plane in flight at a similar angle is B-17G 44-85829 Yankee Lady flying over the Willow Run airfield (near Detroit) during the Gathering of Fortresses in 2010 (still the best birthday gift I ever gave myself!)

But you can see that the entire wing surface reflects the ground and looks a flat dark tone even though we know it is shiny and clean.

B-17-Yankee-Lady-Detroit-2010-08-07-4201

It's hard to compare the two because I was on the ground shooting up at a plane at a fairly low altitude and the weather was overcast, while the Bit O Lace shot was higher away from the ground and shot from a plane at roughly the same level. I guess I need to try to get some flights to do air-to-air pics of a Fortress in flight.

So, to get back to the original question: Yes, the bottom of the outer wing would be gray as it is the same part as the OD upper section. I would try to scuff it up as though a maintenance crew had given it a workover. I might have some video showing BOL in flight that would provide some confirmation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of weathering on the green bands.

spacer.png

And some real exhaust weathering on the lower surface of the wing.

spacer.png

I finally started to apply the decals.   The national insignia were taken from the kit and one was suitably hacked about.

I was really quite disappointed with the Kits-World decals.   The white was very translucent.  The black areas had a red tinge and they were sort of fuzzy and unfocused.  But the worst thing was that as soon as they were dipped in water, they started to wrinkle.  The decals are so thin that it is almost impossible to get them off the backing paper on to the model without them folding up.   The first KW decal I applied was on the port surface of the fin.  It was a nightmare!    😮

It took me nearly half an hour to get the thing unfolded and set in place.  I continually had to rehydrate it with water from a paintbrush.  As soon as I did that, I ran the risk of the bits that were set correctly folding up again.  In the end I lost patience and admitted defeat with the first digit of the serial number.   That simply refused to unfold so I cut off the folded bit (the top stroke of the 2).   I later replaced it with a section taken from the Airfix decal sheet - but only after the main decal was set and had been given a protective coat of lacquer!

I learned my lesson for the starboard side of the fin.   I cut the decal into the obvious three sections and applied them seperately.  This caused other problems.  As the decals were smaller, they came off the backing paper while the decal was soaking and floated around in the water...!   :boom:  :suicide: 

I thought I had got the applied properly but once they were dry I found that the K insignia was slightly folded under so the box is not quite square.  I'm just gonna live with it.  :shrug: 

The nose art decals were sliced into smaller sections and each one was placed on the model dry.  I hydrated each section with water from a paintbrush.  This worked better but even then some of the decals tended to fold up.  Being smaller, they were easier to deal with.

Decal application was not a fun experience.  :fraidnot:

spacer.png

I'm not happy with the ID markings on the starboard wingtip.   I think I need to respray them.

• Like 6

Lots and lots of parts for the engines.  This isn't even all of them!  :lol:

spacer.png

Engines on and the undercarriage parts painted and ready for fitment..  I need to repaint the tyres once the wheels are fitted.

spacer.png

I am utterly amazed that the guns have survived all this time.  However, I've probably jinxed it now...  :lol: 

• Like 9

You're a champion to fix that, Enzo! Next time you think that moderating us, the group build massive, is difficult like herding 🐈 🐈 🐈,  you should remember this experience and say to your self:

"Group build moderation is a walk in the park compared to applying Kits-world decals!" :giggle:

Actually this is a big pity. Probably the largest decal company of today saturates the market with products that are both suspicious in their accuracy and technically poor. To top that off, they offer products that require a second or third of their products to be bought to complete one single kit. Yes, I hate Kits-world as a company. Yes, I can't do without them either. 💩

I have the original Airfix, Hasegawa and Revell (by Cartograph) decals for ABO'L. Guess which ones I'll use when I begin to build Square-K B-17:s :wicked: :coolio:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

products that are both suspicious in their accuracy and technically poor.

Not to mention expensive.  This sheet cost me a tenner!  :yikes: 

But now I'm past that, I quite like how the model looks.  But then again, it's a B-17.  It would be quite difficult to make it look bad. :) 

• Like 1

A reply to your second post:

1) One Revell or Airfix 1:72 kit wing, and there are two of them, has more parts than most of the WW2 single engine fighter plane kits in same scale. And they are bigger too.

2) Maybe that's why Airfix has molded those half inch Browning barrels like they'd belong to their Quickbuild range :giggle:. Take a look at their beautiful gun barrels in the B-25 kits - same company, same subject, a lightyear of difference! Why?

• Like 1

Wow, that sounds like a hell of a trial with the decals, it's making me concerned for the several sets of Kits World decals I've got in the stash. However, the model is looking fantastic, Enzo, so the struggle was worth it

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Snafu35 said:

A fortnight later.

then?:wicked:

It's pretty much finished.  I just need to remove the masking from the transparencies. :)

I even managed to retrieve the waist gun window from the fuselage.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I even managed to retrieve the waist gun window from the fuselage.

I had one pushed inside, which then found its way back to tail gun position and wedged itself between the ammo boxes and the rear armour plate. I saw it through the dog house windows, but it was stuck; no matter how much I shook the model it didn't even move. I had to sneak some brass wire through the waist opening to pry it loose!

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I had one pushed inside, which then found its way back to tail gun position and wedged itself between the ammo boxes and the rear armour plate. I saw it through the dog house windows, but it was stuck; no matter how much I shook the model it didn't even move. I had to sneak some brass wire through the waist opening to pry it loose!

I was lucky.  When I removed the masking from the hole for the ball turret, it just fell out.

• Like 1