Mars 4 Ultra

Brandy

Does anyone have any experience of the Mars 4 Ultra?

I'm looking at upgrading from my Mars 2 and figure it would be worth spending a little extra over the Mars 3 if it's worth it. I work in 1:72 so the detail is definitely a plus.

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 1

I have no experience of the Mars 4 but I had a look at a few reviews.  Key things to note - you lose about 10mm in total build height and the build plate seems to be a bit longer, but narrower, however total surface area is about the same.  I don't expect that'll make much difference for 1:72 stuff though.

The technology is slightly different and has an 18um resolution as compared to the 35um of the Mars 3 so should produce finer detail, which is what goonhammer experienced in his review  https://www.goonhammer.com/elegoo-mars-4-ultra-9k-the-goonhammer-review/

All the reviews I've read have been very positive about the Ultra. If I were in the marker for a new printer I think the Ultra is where I'd be heading (unless I could afford the Jupiter)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, Brandy said:

Does anyone have any experience of the Mars 4 Ultra?

I'm looking at upgrading from my Mars 2 and figure it would be worth spending a little extra over the Mars 3 if it's worth it. I work in 1:72 so the detail is definitely a plus.

Thanks,

Ian

I have one on pre-order.  They were meant to start delivery of the Mars 4 range in August for Asia and the USA, for the UK it was given as September which is what it says on my order.

But as far as I can tell, no one has received one yet, not anywhere in the world, not even pre-release review ones, which suggests that they are running at least 2 months late.  But there has been no communication from Elegoo, I have emailed them for an update but no response as yet.

I’m a little bit disappointed with Elegoo if I am honest, not because of the delay because that is not unusual with new products, but because of the total absence of communication regarding it.  It’s not as if they are not in the habit of communicating - they bombard me several times a week about other products and competitions - but as far as the Mars 4 goes, total radio silence.

Also I tried asking on Facebook, now you can’t create a new dedicated post so I tacked the question as a comment to one of their latest posts.  Now they quickly removed my comment - understandable in a way as my question was not related to the subject of the post.  But all the same, if they have the time to monitor posts and remove comments about the the Mars 4 then why not spend a little time to put up a Mars 4 post so at least we know what is happening.

• Like 1

Well a funny thing happened today, I hoped I haven’t screwed things up.

Before I ordered I confirmed that my order would be fulfilled from their UK warehouse so long as I selected UK when ordering - which I did.

I had sent them a message politely enquiring whether there had been a delay because I hadn’t heard of any being received yet.  I was polite and made it clear that a delay is understandable with new products, that I was in no hurry, happy to wait, just wanted an update.

I got a response today, but rather than answer my question they said they they had arranged for my order to be despatched.  Seems a huge coincidence if my printer was ready to despatch, more like they have reacted.  I have got a tracking number but that just takes me to a Chinese language site.

My fear is that took my enquiry as a complaint so have despatched one from China rather than waiting for the UK warehouse to be stocked.

Hope not because the import taxes and fees on top of the excessive currency conversion fees is going to make this ‘cheap pre-order price’ rather expensive.

• Like 1

I have just ordered from the UK with delivery to Aramex (they don't offer UAE as a delivery option!) The earliest EDT it gave me was October so maybe they are not stocked yet.

Here's hoping!

Ironically I could have bought one on Amazon for about $50 more with delivery within a week!

Ian

Panic over - Elegoo have assured me that it has been dispatched from their UK warehouse.

Should have it within a few days, after I have become familiar with it (it's my first resin printer) I will post back with my thoughts about it.

• Like 1

I contacted Elegoo France through their chat. I told them that according to their site, my order would be sent at the end of October, and that if I placed an order at Amazon I would get it at the end of the week.

10 minutes later, I had a parcel coming via TNT.

Me happy.

• Like 1

I tried mine out yesterday for the first time. No problems, but be advised that the build plate doesn't fit into the original Mercury wash station meaning all parts have to be washed in the basket (which doesn't work very well for small parts), and the plate will have to be manually cleaned. I'm thinking of upgrading that to the Mercury X package.

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

I tried mine out yesterday for the first time. No problems, but be advised that the build plate doesn't fit into the original Mercury wash station meaning all parts have to be washed in the basket (which doesn't work very well for small parts), and the plate will have to be manually cleaned. I'm thinking of upgrading that to the Mercury X package.

Ian

So angry about this.  Just gone out to check and you are correct, the Mercury Plus is not compatible with the Mars 4 Ultra.

I’m annoyed because I ordered the Mars 4 Ultra and the Mercury Plus V2 at the same time so it should have been pretty plain to any one that they were to be used together.

But no mention from Elegoo that they are not really compatible with each other, nor does it say that on the product information.

At first I thought it was not ideal but workable, the plate still sits on the basket but not on the ledges so can’t print right up to the edges.  But then I realised that this isn’t the issue, it is that the plate is wider than the plastic container so it simply won’t fit.

Pretty annoyed that I was sold the two things as a bundle when they are clearly not compatible with each other.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, nheather said:

Pretty annoyed that I was sold the two things as a bundle when they are clearly not compatible with each other.

I would contact Elegoo (if you bought direct which I think you did) and complain that they're sold together but don't work together. I would think you could return the wash station and replace with the Mercury X package.

Worth a try.

Ian

• Like 1

I've just recently got a Mars 4 (not the ultra) - the build plate is the same size but it doesn't fit securely in the Mercury wash station - but then it's slightly larger than the Mars 3 plate (which I think snuggly fits).

I don't find it a huge issue, but I guess it depends what you're printing. You can place the whole plate into the basket (e.g. with the knob at the bottom and the plate at an angle) but it's annoying you can't neatly sit it on the lip. Possibly you could manufacture some kind of support plates to snuggly fit it horizontally? I dare say they might come out with a new metal frame for it in future.

I usually remove my parts before washing though.

• Like 1

I haven’t started using mine yet, need to get my man cave cleared up and organised.

But one thing I spotted on the Elegoo website that the rise speed of the Mars 4 Ultra plate is tearing the FEP film through normal use.  Think the fix is to program it so the initial lift speed is slower - but I need to read up properly as I may have misread - but thought I’d warn you just in case.

On 10/10/2023 at 7:14 AM, Brandy said:

I would contact Elegoo (if you bought direct which I think you did) and complain that they're sold together but don't work together. I would think you could return the wash station and replace with the Mercury X package.

Worth a try.

Ian

I’ve calmed down a bit now and still thinking what to do.

I have contacted Elegoo and they will let me return it in exchange for a Mercury X but the response is in second-language English so it is not entirely clear how the exchange would work or whether my postage would be refunded.  I’m conscious that as they trade in US dollars every refund I receive and every payment I make will get hit by exchange and admin fees.  When I bought the printer, wash and cure and some resin from them I was shocked by how much on top I got charged by the credit card company.

I could kick myself for ordering the Mercury Plus and Resin from Elegoo rather than from Amazon.  The price saving was quite small, and wiped out by the credit card fees, may have even worked out more expensive.  It did cross my mind at the time to just order the wash and cure and resin separately from Amazon, but it seemed simpler to get everything I needed together from Elegoo and I never imagined the fees would be so big.

Depends on how they do the exchange, whether I get hit by one set of fees or two, also whether they refund the return postage - none of this is clear in their response.

Also I don’t really want the Mercury X, haven’t really got room for two machines, plus you have to use loads more IPA because of the large tank volume - it’s much bigger than you really need for the Mars 4.

So maybe best just to put up with popping the prints off the plate and washing them in the basket.

But so everyone is clear, the Mars 4 (all Mars 4, not just the Ultra) plates are bigger than the Mercury Plus tank.  One of the selling points of the Mercury Plus is that it comes with an elaborate adaptor that you clip the plate onto and can be height adjusted to sit in the tank without the need for the basket - all very neat.  You cannot use this with the Mars 4.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Possibly you could manufacture some kind of support plates to snuggly fit it horizontally? I dare say they might come out with a new metal frame for it in future.

I usually remove my parts before washing though.

That was the initial mistake I made.  I concentrated on the basket and saw that the plate didn’t sit neatly on the ledges.  But I just thought that unless I’m printing right up to the edge that wouldn’t be a big deal.

Then it dawned on me, the basket isn’t the issue, the plate is actually wider than the plastic tank, so there is no way that it’s going in horizontally.

It also defeats one of the main selling points of the Mercury Plus, the elaborate attachment that allows you to fit the plate and lower it into the tank without the need of the basket.

My hope is that at some point Elegoo, or a third party will wing out a slightly wider plastic tank.

Until then, I suspect I will keep it and just put up with popping off the prints for washing in the basket.

In fact, if at a later date I move onto water based resin I will probably only use the UV part of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Would the wider Mercury x tank work on the Mercury Plus?

If so, could you simply buy the tank as a "spare part"?

Ian

Good thought - it had crossed my mind too.

It all depends on how the impellor engages.  There will be a magnetic coupling but the two may be different shapes/sizes.#

But to be honest the Mercury X tank is ginormous - not only does it take up so much space on the bench but it takes something like 7 litres of IPA to fill to the plate.

Maybe Elegoo or someone else will spot the opportunity and bring out a tank for the Mercury Plus to suit the Mars 4.  Not holding my breath though, Chinese companies like Elegoo are not renowned for supporting their products, more focussed to just move onto the next product

• Like 1

Go to Elegoo website and post the question. I did that to be sure the Mars 4 Ultra build plate would fit in the Mercury x and they confirmed it would.

It may take a couple of days for them to reply.

Ian

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

Go to Elegoo website and post the question. I did that to be sure the Mars 4 Ultra build plate would fit in the Mercury x and they confirmed it would.

It may take a couple of days for them to reply.

Ian

There is no question about it fitting - the tank is huge, really designed for their biggest printers - even though the Mars 4 has a bigger plate it would be dwarfed in the Mercury X tank.

I meant would the Mercury x tank fit the Mercury Plus that you have.

The bottom of the tank is narrower than the top.

Worth asking if it saves you cash!

Ian

• Like 1